Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I would argue that having stations shallower than the rest of the tunnel actually helps with the energy usage. The tunnel goes up when the train needs to slow down entering the station, meaning less braking is required to slow the train down. The tunnel then goes down when leaving the station, meaning less acceleration is required by the motors to get up to speed.
Yes, that' what some stations on the Canada Line in Vancouver do downtown in the bored tunnel segment.

Regenerative braking had been a thing for awhile now.

AoD
I don't think it's the same. Isn't regenerative braking to generate electricity?

Here, the station sits on a hill in the tunnel, so the train slows going up the hill to the station (due to gravity), and gains momentum going downhill leaving the station (due to gravity).
At the 3 minute mark of this video you can see the hill up to Vancouver City Centre station, and the hill heading down leaving the station. L:ikewise, at the 5 min mark for Yaletown Roundhouse Station.

I don't think it's the same. Isn't regenerative braking to generate electricity?

Here, the station sits on a hill in the tunnel, so the train slows going up the hill to the station (due to gravity), and gains momentum going downhill leaving the station (due to gravity).
At the 3 minute mark of this video you can see the hill up to Vancouver City Centre station, and the hill heading down leaving the station. L:ikewise, at the 5 min mark for Yaletown Roundhouse Station.

In a general sense no, but in terms of energy - you are converting kinetic energy into electricity in the first (with a certain degree of loss); kinetic into potential energy the second (again with a certain degree of loss).

AoD

The Walt Disney Co. on Tuesday pushed the release of “Avatar 3” a year, bumping it from December 2024 to December 2025.
"Avatar 4" is now scheduled for December 2029. "Avatar 5" is set for December 2031.

OK what will come first: the Ontario Line opens, or the inevitably rescheduled again in the future Avatar 4 opens in... say 2035?

Last edited:
Documents seem to have already been made available for some! Curious to see the layout of Queen station, but nothing seems to be there yet.
Thanks for putting these up! I linked back to your post and wrote a Twitter thread here:
The stations are certainly deep, but they do appear to have lots of capacity, quite interesting seeing the elevator only entrances and the mined passages - reminds me of Crossrail in that way.
A lot of these stations also remind me of Burrard in Vancouver, which feels similarly deep but with 2-3 escalators to get to the platforms - they also proposed and then cancelled a plan to add an elevator only entrance to it that looks just like the ones at King and Spadina.

Thanks for putting these up! I linked back to your post and wrote a Twitter thread here:
The stations are certainly deep, but they do appear to have lots of capacity, quite interesting seeing the elevator only entrances and the mined passages - reminds me of Crossrail in that way.
A lot of these stations also remind me of Burrard in Vancouver, which feels similarly deep but with 2-3 escalators to get to the platforms - they also proposed and then cancelled a plan to add an elevator only entrance to it that looks just like the ones at King and Spadina.

I will note my original post missed the documents for Exhibition station. Added it to the original post as there's some really interesting tidbits located in those, including the GO Platforms being inside of the fare gate 'paid zone' indicating some level of commitment to fare integration. Also, a fair amount of station retail.

I will note my original post missed the documents for Exhibition station. Added it to the original post as there's some really interesting tidbits located in those, including the GO Platforms being inside of the fare gate 'paid zone' indicating some level of commitment to fare integration. Also, a fair amount of station retail.
I will go add that to the thread, Ex always looked great awesome to see it appears they are going ahead with this epic design. Makes sense to put gates around GO too.

Last edited:
Honestly, huge congrats to UTers for pushing for these documents.

I'll continue to be annoyed about the full height mezzanines (when Crossrail and Sydney Metro show that they're not necessary to meet very stringent fire/evacuation regulations) but that's a story for another day.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 22.05.33.png

I continue to be surprised that Moss Park doesn't need an emergency exit at the far end of the cut and cover station box - for emergency use, there's a very long corridor from the far end back to the station pavilion.
Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 22.06.45.png

im not sure if its a big deal or not but theyve drawn the waterfront west lrt tracks going past the southern plaza. Last i heard it was on pause waiting for designs of the Ontario line

Cross posting from the GO Construction thread because I think it's sort of crazy how the giant GO station is seemingly just lumped into the OL, its a really epic facility!

I'll continue to be annoyed about the full height mezzanines (when Crossrail and Sydney Metro show that they're not necessary to meet very stringent fire/evacuation regulations) but that's a story for another day.
Why are full-height mezzanines necessary to meet fire/evac requirements?

Uhhhh has anyone noticed that Exhibition station clearly looks like it does not have level boarding and is still on the current platform height??

FynHKlcWcAIfgNB

Uhhhh has anyone noticed that Exhibition station clearly looks like it does not have level boarding and is still on the current platform height??

FynHKlcWcAIfgNB
Perhaps they are waiting for the GO Expansion design phase to conclude before committing to a change in platform height. Easier to add height than remove it!

Why are full-height mezzanines necessary to meet fire/evac requirements?
They aren't necessary given international examples - but North American practice is to include them, therefore more excavation is required. In the Ontario line's case - the trains will be separated from the platforms, so there's already a fire break!
For example, fare gates located above the platforms means more excavation, rather than this being located at street level.
This article by Alon Levy explains more.

Back