Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

But is the "Line 3" name confirmed anywhere?

No. it's just that logical people are offended by things like missing numbers in counting. Same as having Terminal 1 and 3 at Pearson is consistent and absurd at the same time.

Kids ask, "Why is the sky blue?" In the future, people may ask, "Why isn't there a line 3?"

I would. If I were 5 years old.

Last edited:
No. it's just that logical people are offended by things like missing numbers in counting. Same as having Terminal 1 and 3 at Pearson is consistent and absurd at the same time.

Kids ask, "Why is the sky blue?" In the future, people may ask, "Why isn't there a line 3?"

I would. If I were 5.
Where's Windows 9?

Why do Chinese buildings lack a 4th, 14th, etc. floor? Why do Western buildings lack a 13th floor?

Red seems to be reserved for surface network. By the time it gets built, they can probably reuse current line 3's blue, and there is always brown if blue's not available.

Good point about the surface network colour. I always imagined the RL being red, but that's a personal preference and I don't think I've seen it used in any official doc. Blue would be the next best thing, and there's probably room for two shades of blue on the map: the lighter Line 3 and a darker tone. Hopefully it wouldn't be brown though. I think there's quite a few colours to choose from before we get to that stage. Interestingly in the Oct update the RL is pink, with Stouffville RER/SmrtTrack looking to have a colour similar to Line 3.

With Line 1 already being a darker orangey-yellow, and Line 5 being orange, red may not contrast well. Pink however would be pretty good.

news_Picture1.jpg

Good point about the surface network colour. I always imagined the RL being red, but that's a personal preference and I don't think I've seen it used in any official doc. Blue would be the next best thing, and there's probably room for two shades of blue on the map: the lighter Line 3 and a darker tone. Hopefully it wouldn't be brown though. I think there's quite a few colours to choose from before we get to that stage. Interestingly in the Oct update the RL is pink, with Stouffville RER/SmrtTrack looking to have a colour similar to Line 3.

With Line 1 already being a darker orangey-yellow, and Line 5 being orange, red may not contrast well. Pink however would be pretty good.

news_Picture1.jpg
Looks more like magenta to me.

The original Line 3 is close to cyan.

Pink might become problematic at Don Mills station, if/when DRL reaches Sheppard. They can trade colours with line 6 - given how it's in ways an extension of line 4.

How do two heavy rail tracks get off the LSE (which runs on overbridges through the local streetgrid) to a sublevel interchange at Pape and Danforth without driving a wrecking ball through an entire district? A subground GO station at Pape and Danforth - woo boy. And then you want to have the line "pop out" somehow at CP Leaside Yard? And... a Don Mills tunnel??

I based this idea having looked at the Mitteldeutchland's (Leipzig-Halle) S-Bahn in eastern Germany, particularly with Leipzig City Tunnel. As you see from the map, the yellow line represents the tunnel plan which diverts from the surface into tunnel and pops out at Leipzig Hbf (Main station). Once it pops out, it splits into two different directions, one north and one northwest. I especially focused on the are just north of the main station and pondered "can we implement the same, especially with a Don Mills tunnel?".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leipzig_City_Tunnel

Also from looking at gweed123's proposal posted a while back, his map seems to advocate for a Don Mills tunnel, although his approach is a bit different. His approach seems to advocate using Donlands, possibly a separate bridge over the DVP, and traveling through Thorncliffe Park.

For the case of Gerrard Square, I acknowledge such an will prove difficult to implement due to the district being built so-close to the railway. The reason why I suggested this idea was #1) under the assumption that our city council will not do anything with flood protection in the Lower Don (me being cynical). #2) It was to propose a compromise between those who pro-relief line and those who are against the relief Please see Neptis's report on the Big Move. Focus on Section 5, Using the GO system to relieve the subway system on pg 42 and Section 6.2, Downtown Relief Line on pg 51 for more info. #3) It was to address WislaHD's concerns with the Richmond Hill line.
http://www.neptis.org/sites/default...eptis_schabas_report_dec_2013_finaljuly23.pdf

1) As was mentioned before that would mean the line doesn't run through the central section of the downtown which would mean it would pull less riders.
2) Considering that getting GO RER built is going to be a fight in itself this would be much harder, building the tunnel entry in particular is going to be borderline inconceivable due to the lack of space.

Good Point regarding the tunnel entry, but sill, I don't its a reason to not try.
Also, I have concerns of running a relief line along Queen St would butcher the 501 Streetcar route, thus resulting with overlapping service in the central section of Queen. Would this mean that western section of 501 streetcar in Etobicoke and the eastern section in the Beaches District be split into two different routes?

Attachments

• Karte_City-Tunnel_Leipzig.png
    Karte_City-Tunnel_Leipzig.png
    251 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Also, I have concerns of running a relief line along Queen St would butcher the 501 Streetcar route, thus resulting with overlapping service in the central section of Queen. Would this mean that western section of 501 streetcar in Etobicoke and the eastern section in the Beaches District be split into two different routes?

Relief Line is a project of utmost importance for the whole city, while the 501 Streetcar route matters for a much smaller group of riders. Therefore, 501 streetcar should be adjusted to the relief line, not the other way.

That said, there are a number of options of configuring the streetcar service through the areas currently served by #501 in a way convenient for the riders.

During the peak hours, residents from the edges will prefer to have a frequent and reliable route that takes them to the subway at the western and eastern edges of the downtown area, rather than a single through route that in theory takes them right to the destination, but takes forever to get there and cannot maintain its headways due to congestion. Ineed it would make sense to split the route into 3 parts: feeders for Lakeshore West and the Beaches, and a central Queen local route.

In the late evening, when there is less demand and much less congestion, a single route from Long Branch to the Neville loop might still be desirable even if overlaps with the new subway line in downtown.

They are doing 700m stop spacing on the Relief Line.... At first the 501 will still be needed, however once the Relief line is extended to Roncesvalles I think it would be better to shut down the 504, and have the 501 run down King instead. As for the 502, I would run that route to East harbour via Broadview or cancel it all together.

Re: Relief Line colour

It will not be red. The TTC's Signage Manual & Standards lays out what each colour is to be used for. P.24 shows the specific applications for TTC Red. The final colour hasn't been decided on as far as I know, but unless the TTC does an about-face it will not be red. It's also not likely to re-use the Scarborough RT Blue, since there's a push to reserve that shade of blue solely for accessibility signage and wayfinding.

It will not be red. The TTC's Signage Manual & Standards lays out what each colour is to be used for. P.24 shows the specific applications for TTC Red. The final colour hasn't been decided on as far as I know, but unless the TTC does an about-face it will not be red. It's also not likely to re-use the Scarborough RT Blue, since there's a push to reserve that shade of blue solely for accessibility signage and wayfinding.

Nice find! I always wanted to know the official colour codes. Used to try and match the colours by eye, also relied on a wiki page (which never seemed right). But this doc is great.

TTC-line-colour+codes.jpg

re: magenta and pink discussion. I think Line 4 is way more magenta. On the black background it can appear a solid purple, but when playing around with the colour wheel it definitely seems like magenta. So I guess if RL ever were pink it'd have to be a very pale shade.

Attachments

• TTC-line-colour+codes.jpg
    TTC-line-colour+codes.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 467

Primary colours:
Red - TTC surface
Orange - Line 5
Yellow - Line 1
Green - Line 2
Blue - Line 3/Accessibility
Purple - Line 4

If the TTC doesn't want to adopt black/grey/white, they're going to have to get creative. In planning documents once upon a time, Finch West was shown in planning documents as having a washy green/toothpaste colour, and Sheppard East LRT had a silver/grey.
TTC_-_FW.svg
TTC_-_SE.svg

brown is still open, so is light pink. How does shanghai do their colours when they have 20 lines? They must be using different shades of the same colour

Nice find! I always wanted to know the official colour codes. Used to try and match the colours by eye, also relied on a wiki page (which never seemed right). But this doc is great.

View attachment 94333

re: magenta and pink discussion. I think Line 4 is way more magenta. On the black background it can appear a solid purple, but when playing around with the colour wheel it definitely seems like magenta. So I guess if RL ever were pink it'd have to be a very pale shade.

I'd also like to point out that "Plastic Pumpkin LRV" and "Battleship LRV" and "Red Dragon" are things. And that is awesome.

Back