Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

All these polls 2 years before the election are irrelevant. What matters are the polls months from the election and the actual election results. Hudak was leading in the polls before and leading up to the last election but yet lost heavily.
I tend to agree - though Hudak never polled as high as 44%. Polls aren't entirely irrelevant - they told a consistent story about the federal incumbents in the last election for years. It's been many years since the Tories polled that high - so long ago, I can't even quickly confirm when. In the 1990s under Harris?

But who knows - perhaps it's the 1 in 20 poll.

I tend to agree - though Hudak never polled as high as 44%. Polls aren't entirely irrelevant - they told a consistent story about the federal incumbents in the last election for years. It's been many years since the Tories polled that high - so long ago, I can't even quickly confirm when. In the 1990s under Harris?

It's curious how wildly different the results of the Mainstreet and Forum polls are. They show more than a 15 point difference in Tory support. Either one of their methodologies are totally screwed up, or one of them is the 1 in 20 outlier.

LOL. Isn't Richmond Hill the same fucking thing?

I didn't realize that language was acceptable around here.

... and no, they are not the same. Richmond Hill actually has an urban-scaled heritage town centre with shops, restaurants, a performing arts centre and a pedestrian-friendly built form. No it isn't Queen West but as a suburban node it offers many good qualities and plenty of potential. Vaughan is an amalgamation of shopping malls, housing estates and box stores.

I'm not saying polls are irrelevant, I believe in polls. I just think using a poll from two years before an election to conclude who will win doesnt make sense. Different things come during an election campaign which these polls don't factor in. Olivia Chow for example was leading in many polls before the municipal election but yet she came in 3rd. Now these polls could be right but I think we need to see poll numbers a couple of months and weeks before the election to gauge how things are.

... and no, they are not the same. Richmond Hill actually has an urban-scaled heritage town centre with shops, restaurants, a performing arts centre and a pedestrian-friendly built form. No it isn't Queen West but as a suburban node it offers many good qualities and plenty of potential. Vaughan is an amalgamation of shopping malls, housing estates and box stores.
You forgot the amusement park.

Don't be a baby. I apologize if the language was rough but I was just trying to make a point.

Your description of Richmond Hill is a joke.

Pedestrian-friendly built form in Richmond Hill? Where is that? This is news to me. I hope you aren't talking about Yonge St. north of Major Mac? I would hardly call that impressive.

Vaughan has all of the same things you commend Richmond Hill for: performing arts centre, shops and restaurants.

It's curious how wildly different the results of the Mainstreet and Forum polls are. They show more than a 15 point difference in Tory support. Either one of their methodologies are totally screwed up, or one of them is the 1 in 20 outlier.

I put my trust in Mainstreet. They have much larger sample sizes (which distinguishes them from other pollsters) and they've made very good calls lately. They were the only pollster to correctly call a Liberal majority in the federal election, and they were the first to pick up on the Alberta NDP upswing last year. Mainstreet also has a very good track record with riding-level polling both in general elections and by-elections.

Forum by contrast is very hit and miss; sometimes they're bang on other times they're way out to lunch.

I'm looking forward to Mainstreet's post-budget numbers for Ontario.

More Line 1 ridership projections
Yonge Line: 39,600 pphpd
University Line: 33,500 pphpd

Implications of this: As we know, Yonge Line capacity crisis necessitates us to move forward with Relief Line Long plans immediately. Preliminary work on the Relief Line U needs to be initiated the next few years, as the situation there will go critical within the 15 to 25 year timeframe.

I'm not sure how ST/RER factor into these projections.

Last edited:
Yesterday we were discussion the potential of the Relief Line extending north to Eglinton, and whether or not that would provide sufficient relief to the Yonge Line. I found some TTC data about that option, that shows that the Relief Line to Eglinton would be rather poor performing, compared to other Relief Line extensions, and especially when compared to the extension to Sheppard.

To summarize: TTC projected that the Relief Line Short would divert 4,700 pphpd from the Yonge Line in peak hour. They projected that the extension to Eglinton would divert only an additional 700 pphpd from the Yonge Line. It was also projected that the Relief Line to Eglinton would add only 1,200 peak hour riders to the Relief Line.

For the section north of Eglinton, Metrolinx projected it would divert 12,000 passengers from Yonge Line, more than twice the relief projected for a Relief Line with an Eglinton terminus, and with Relief Line ridership of about 20,000 pphpd, approximately equal to the ridership of the Yonge and Bloor danforth lines.

Relief Line Short
Peak DRL Ridership: 11,700 pphpd
Yonge Relief: - 4,700 pphpd

Relief Line Eglinton:
Peak Extension Ridership: +1,200 pphpd
Yonge Relief: - 700 pphpd (Total: 5,400)

Relief Line Sheppard:
Peak Extension Ridership: + 7,000 pphpd (approx) (Total: 19,000 pphpd)
Yonge Relief: -5,000 pphpd (Total: 11,600)

So it appears that the Relief Line to Eglinton is a bit of a red herring, with it being by far the worst performing segment of the Relief Line, having peak hour ridership of only 1,200 pphpd, and diverting 700 people from Yonge. This component needs to be examined further by City Planning, but the results remain consistent, it will be difficult to recommend such a poorly performing extension of the Relief Line, unless it's bundled with a commitment to immediately extend it north to Sheppard.

Polls and the imminent threat of the PCs cancelling projects wouldn't even matter if the Liberals would just get their act together and get these projects shovel-ready prior to 2018.

Attended the Lakeshore Collegiate public meeting tonight. A few things were made clear that narrowed the scope of the discussion: The Smart Trac options are either C or D. There will NOT be a Spadina Smart Trac station. There are no near future plans to expand the Relief Line west of University, though a Spadina station is a possibility with a fight. The Relief Line will very likely be a subway, not an LRT. It's more likely that there will be stations at Osgoode and Queen than at City Hall. Streetcar service will likely continue on Queen after the DRL is built. The Relief Line choices are B1, with or without a Unilever stop. The likely location of the Liberty Village stop is the north side of King. There's a faint possibility of this stop being located at Queen and Dufferin, but there won't be stops in both locations. The subway to STC is going to happen. There won't be a Smart Spur from Ellesmere to STC. Basically transit will be overbuilt in Scarborough, underbuilt in the core. Adding a Go station at Park Lawn is not for sure. I really felt that there was little sense of the value of the Relief Line among the technocrats apart from the utility of removing riders from the Yonge line.

Last edited:
Polls and the imminent threat of the PCs cancelling projects wouldn't even matter if the Liberals would just get their act together and get these projects shovel-ready prior to 2018.
Kathleen and her party is just an utter mess at this point in time and I dont think anything can save them now. The majority mandate got into their heads and they messed up whatever they had going for them.

Smartrack aka GO RER didnt help matters out at all either. Unfortunately I think time has run out on the DRL, and it will reach the "2018 suspended indefinitely phase" due to the PC's being elected.

Back