Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I'm finding, increasingly, that's probably not the case. It'll very likely have exact TTC fares for the same trip. What's becoming clear is TTC 2016 fares != TTC 2022 fares.

Tory might not let Metrolinx boost them this term but whomever comes next may have to; we've really loaded up on the cities spending/debt obligations with very little in added revenue, and TTC has a ton of necessary stuff still unfunded.

But yeah, without 5 minute frequencies it's going to be pretty ineffective.

I say it won't have TTC fare to mean that ST will have some kind of premium pricing implemented; it'll cost more to use ST than the TTC.

I say it won't have TTC fare to mean that ST will have some kind of premium pricing implemented; it'll cost more to use ST than the TTC.

Maybe. I think if Brown keeps anything from Metrolinx's current works, it'll be the thing that reduces subsidies and reduces costs for suburban voters (eliminates hard boundaries).

I expect Brown and Tory will agree to keep Smart Track as a priority in exchange for giving Metrolinx control over fares for the entire region. The result will end up similar to Toronto Hydro and the Ontario Energy Board; TTC (and other local carriers) will ask Metrolinx to boost fares and will have to make a case for it.

Obviously there's a lot of time between now and the election, but at this point I'm not even sure if the Liberals will let Wynne run again. McGuinty had higher approval ratings when he resigned than Wynne does today.

Last edited:
Obviously there's a lot of time between now and the election, but at this point I'm not even sure if the Liberals will let Wynne run again. McGuinty had higher approval ratings when he resigned than Wynne does today.

The problems are with the Liberal Party, not Wynne. If anything, Wynne is more popular than the party itself.

Ideally the DRL won't have to be extended to Sheppard because they'll have built it the whole way from the beginning. It's clear only building it to pape won't provide the needed relief. The west section should be built, and hopefully they don't wait till the East side is done before they start. But it's clear that the East side is more crucial.

Must say, I really enjoy reading Keenan's articles. He's generally on point, and his articles are witty and fun to read.

His description of Vaughan is also extremely accurate...

I was actually horrified by the description of Vaughan. Creating stereotypes is never a good thing. Any paper (or person) should always be against any stereotype. I'm finding the Toronto Star plays this holier than thou card until it suits them. The article even degraded into name calling. Appalling editorial/journalism in any paper. I would expect it from the free weekly's but even they have an editor that would kill this trash (or at least delete 1/2 the article that degraded the newspapaer).

Yes, Vaughan has a big mall and Wonderland but it has much more. There are some great areas to hike, amazing restaurants, a world class art gallery (McMichael is in Vaughan), golf courses, etc. I don't live up there....but had to highlight the seething distaste in this article.

He is pandering to the Toronto is the centre of the universe crowd...nothing more.

Don't underestimate Wynne's popularity in the GTA. She may have low approval ratings provincewide, but not in the 905/416. The Liberals are still second in opinion polls behind the PCs, 36-33, and I would bet they are still #1 in the 905. Elections are won and lost in Toronto suburbs; who cares if the PCs are super popular in rural ridings that would go to them anyway.

The Libs are the most effective political machine in Canada. I think the media is largely responsible for this "Ooooh Wynne is suddenly unpopular" myth.

Ideally the DRL won't have to be extended to Sheppard because they'll have built it the whole way from the beginning. It's clear only building it to pape won't provide the needed relief. The west section should be built, and hopefully they don't wait till the East side is done before they start. But it's clear that the East side is more crucial.

Must say, I really enjoy reading Keenan's articles. He's generally on point, and his articles are witty and fun to read.

His description of Vaughan is also extremely accurate...

It's totally on point in that one of the biggest problems facing planning in this region is people in Toronto who think that's what Vaughan (and Richmond Hill, and other suburbs) are like because they went to Vaughan Mills once, or maybe saw American Beauty 15 years ago.

Because Toronto doesn't have any big box malls with huge parking lots.
Toronto doesn't have ugly industrial areas with km after km of nothing.
That's, like, what the 905 is.

Toronto is all basically just Liberty Village, Roncy and the Distillery District over and over. Keele Street, Kennedy Road - they don't even exist, except north of Steeles.
That's why the city is awesome and suburbs, like, suck.

But, yes, the DRL should be built to Sheppard.
(And not just because, unlike areas of Vaughan, everyone knows Sheppard and Don Mills is reputed to be the actual site of the Garden of Eden, so stunning is it.)

Don't underestimate Wynne's popularity in the GTA. She may have low approval ratings provincewide, but not in the 905/416. The Liberals are still second in opinion polls behind the PCs, 36-33, and I would bet they are still #1 in the 905. Elections are won and lost in Toronto suburbs; who cares if the PCs are super popular in rural ridings that would go to them anyway.

The Libs are the most effective political machine in Canada. I think the media is largely responsible for this "Ooooh Wynne is suddenly unpopular" myth.

Latest polls have libs and PCs tied, and the Libs haven't even begun campaigning yet. The PCs should be performing better. Ontario isn't yet familiar with Brown. When the Liberals hammer him on his record on social issues, it'll be game over for their party, unless the PCs make a big ideological shift.

It's totally on point in that one of the biggest problems facing planning in this region is people in Toronto who think that's what Vaughan (and Richmond Hill, and other suburbs) are like because they went to Vaughan Mills once, or maybe saw American Beauty 15 years ago.

Because Toronto doesn't have any big box malls with huge parking lots.
Toronto doesn't have ugly industrial areas with km after km of nothing.
That's, like, what the 905 is.

Toronto is all basically just Liberty Village, Roncy and the Distillery District over and over. Keele Street, Kennedy Road - they don't even exist, except north of Steeles.
That's why the city is awesome and suburbs, like, suck.

But, yes, the DRL should be built to Sheppard.
(And not just because, unlike areas of Vaughan, everyone knows Sheppard and Don Mills is reputed to be the actual site of the Garden of Eden, so stunning is it.)

I'd love to see the average word count of your posts.

I'd love a good single malt.
But whatever floats your boat, bro.

that one was a massive 155. If every word was a character...well, shoot, still wouldn't fit in a Twitter post.

I'm taking about your 1,000 word rants.

You should get into professional essay writing. You seem to be able to hammer these things out like nothing. I'm impressed :)

44 to 27 is a tie?

It's still a long way to the next election, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Liberals win another government - but I'd disagree about the latest poll.

What poll are you talking about? This is the latest I've seen:

February 22, 2016 (Toronto, ON) – A new Mainstreet/Postmedia poll finds the PC Party continuing to lead in Ontario – albeit by a narrow margin with the Liberals and NDP separated by just 3 percentage points. The Mainstreet/Postmedia Poll has a margin of error of +/- 1.91%, 19 times out of 20.

PC: 30
Liberal: 26
NDP: 23

http://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/pcs-lead-ontario-horwath-most-popular-leader/

All these polls 2 years before the election are irrelevant. What matters are the polls months from the election and the actual election results. Hudak was leading in the polls before and leading up to the last election but yet lost heavily.

Back