Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I don't see why they can't have stations with the same length as TTC stations. Maybe they could reuse some of the planning the TTC has done for the few downtown ones. If the Ontario line does reach 30k capacity, it'll be time to build another relief line. Maybe one further east running diagonally north east to Scarborough along the hydro corridor.

It's hard to have a Spanish solution platform on a subway system with only 1 line.
The Bloor line was built in 1966 - 53 years ago. That is when it officially became an interchange station and when modifications to the Yonge line (and new construction on Bloor line) would have been feasible. Since I rounded to 1 significant digit, 50 years is pretty accurate.

The Bloor line started planning shortly after the completion of the Yonge line, so still well over 60 years ago. Your math still doesn't add up.

And to suggest that modifications to Bloor Station were "feasible" at that point in time is laughable. Close the then-new Yonge Line to rebuild a station in the hopes that maybe 60 years later they'd finally need that level of capacity? Short of you personally going back in time to 1946 and telling them that it would be required, there is no way that anyone there would have had enough foresight to see what would happen in the distant future.

Dan

I think I read something a while back that the Spadina-Front GO Station was only for the Barrie Line, and it terminating there instead of ending/going though Union Station. Of course I think this was just a possibility and still up in the air if all GO lines will stop or terminate there.
While it will indeed be for Barrie trains only, it will not be the terminus. Trains will still run through to Union.

While some things in the new path look doable (lots of interesting questions and issues though) what no longer makes much sense is the Queen routing through downtown. Going all the way south to the railway at both the Don and the Exhibition and then swerving half a mile north under Queen with 4 big curves is not very bright. I always thought this line should run under Front and Wellington, and now I'm back to that position.

Why do people always seem to bring up the Chicago El when they hear about elevated rail? No modern system would look like that. It would look more like the SkyTrain or Docklands LRT. This isn't 1895. The El is irrelevant when it comes to picturing modern elevated transit.
Meh, I actually prefer the aesthetics of the L and the rolling stock they use to the Skytrain or DLR, just a personal preference. I believe trains run faster as well. I don't personally see anything wrong with their system.

Like what I said- the chips are going to fall this fall. We will know how good or awful the plan is by then. (That being said, haven't they missed their deadline for the completion of the business case?)

Instead of reacting to incomplete knowledge about the plan (much like the fussing about tunnel exits required for the Don crossing without knowing about the new alignment)- I want to take a look at the complete package first before making a judgement.

Hey, there's not a lot you can do otherwise beyond Adam-Vaughan-ing it up and upsetting yourself, right?

Last edited:
Just some questions and thoughts above the above ground section that runs beside the Lakeshore East/Stouffville Line.

Zooming in, are they going to put both tracks on one side of the heavy rail tracks or one direction per side?

I also wonder if the Ontario Line tracks will be at grade or on concrete piers, like how the UP Express reaches the airport on the spur.

Attachments

• 1563889676463.png
    1563889676463.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 365
  • 1563892508514.png
    1563892508514.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Odds are very high that this Ontario Line proposal won't get federal funding, and thus not be built.

1. As was mentioned earlier this week, the Provincial government has already positioned themselves to blame Trudeau if the Ontario Line doesn't get built. I believe it was last month where they scheduled a whole press conference to blame the Feds for not providing funding to the line. And keep in mind that the Business Cases Analysis still hadn't been released at that point, so it was literally impossible for the Federal government to contribute funding. That's a very odd move, if you genuinely wanted the funding to come. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this Business Case has some fatal flaws built in, specifically so the proposal cannot receive federal funding.

2. As per my previous post, assuming the government does intend to use smaller trains, capacity will be inadequate on the Ontario Line. It's very easy for the government to justifiably deny fundings on those grounds.

3. This mysterious "new" technology. The fact that the government seems to be proposing some kind of new technology should raise red flags for everyone. Rail is an extremely mature technology, and Toronto and the TTC are far from being the busiest and most crowded cities and metro systems in the world. If the Beijings, Londons and Tokyos of the world haven't found some magical new technology for their systems, its highly unlikely we'll develop anything worthwhile here. I'm expecting this "new" technology to end up being good-old LIM, but if it's indeed something new, it probably isn't getting federal funding, and rightfully so.

4. Most importantly, Ford is extremely unpopular in Ontario, and even more so in Toronto; far more unpopular than Trudeau. It's very easy for Trudeau to say that the plan is garbage, and that the Provincial govenremt is uncooperative, and I'm sure people would eat it up.

If the federal government doesn't provide funding, presumably in the hopes of a friendlier government in three years, it won't be a huge setback, as the Relief Line South was pretty damn close to shovel-ready, while the Ontario Line is essentially starting from zero. We'd likely lose a year at most, relative to a realistic Ontario Line timetable. From a network building perspective, this is likely a favourable outcome, as the Relief Line South + North is a more robust plan, and costs around the same amount of money anyways.

I'll wait for the BCA to make final judgement, but unless concerns over Ontario Line capacity are alleviated, I'll be hoping for the federal government to deny funding to the proposal, in exchange for Relief Line South + North funding three years from now.

Trudeau will not be in power come 2020

So are we talking about an "El" style steel frame track 15-20m in the air running trough Leslieville/Riverside? (existing berm plus elevated track).
There isn't any room for two more tracks on the current rail berm is there? I suppose the berm could be widened without having to take out too many houses.
Could these new trains be using the same gauge as the go trains and possibly share the existing tracks?
I guess possibly nobody knows yet.

I live about 100m from the exiting berm so I have a selfish interest in just how ugly this is going to be.
On the other hand, a station right were I currently catch the 501 would be convenient.

It might be at grade on the rail lines.

But if its elevated it would look like what they have in vancouver
E8yWaspVjfTWkCkZJcsBSK1HqkDuKvDirvIZn5n083EX4p8fZKP5sdH83nkdvASenjGK3tNnSombM4r_p4whguaGqEPHwC5a0BO3vQXibUHTVdMeWiQ3TPrPfKEBoxpTS2JA1F8qxgV6XrTXU1CMlEb_DkYsQoJVbM82bUSbetgU7mXhNZht8JzMJ2TiPjLcvWeJTXA5awBPvvFKtnEGMz7l17IWc1Noabx770HDXQhvy4ZUGerDixzhh85DagXBnBMv3z6l4IUl3dvHd0UjnDcrcDmS52Z_xOGRIzd8RC84ojWiLfP7bwZwuDAvoV65PP7fxH2vfJZbQOdGtNisuKsNZNPTGb7Yt8gy7WkwQ6UH9iqv5lQawfeL5G0np-1TqVd1U53m2t8SOCKOavKhl4duEypCwdYtyImEse_ZgX7iIE2gHF-o3goENpLNSHs2taCtmClG_1SOjbZ9CvOAycoNB9kMLo6DYiFqmCVbT9Y1r4x1e0W0f01VBvIl504CiVLw0los52xQUvsx3lFZYmm2GtHkwUhlsG6_cG22X90aR9yYNr-sqDr0CdgWEPMwctOOl6mOiyKg2xwLqOvvO3qXpksi1RkdA27mLXy3VuF408eDHeIuMc5XceNJUCgwPZoAaigf28taRpEbS-T4aDiQBFEC-331=w1684-h947-no

Heres a shot I took in Vancouver on the Canadian with the Skytrain next to the rail tracks.

Saddest thing about all this is that the better, more robust plan, that has capacity to serve Toronto for the next 40+ years, the Relief Line North + South, would cost more or less the exact same amount of money to build (around $11 Billion). So this proposal from the government isn’t even achieving its most basic goal of saving money.

The Relief Line North + South could also be under construction today, and would serve significantly more people (including those deep in Scarborough).

Yes. Just like there could be a new 7 stop LRT line open in Scarborough right now, along with an Eglinton East LRT line slated for construction giving Malvern residents transfer free access to the Yonge Line.

They'd probably be much closer to a Sheppard Extension too, that could tie everything together.

Ok.
Where was the next station North of Bloor. Not mentioned.
Would it go under the Don North or over - not mentioned.
Where was the next station West of Osgoode. Not mentioned.
Would it dip back down to King or stay on Queen. Not mentioned.
using Mark 3 or RER train. Not mentioned.

Now this just seems like trolling.

They weren't mentioned because they're part of Phase 2. DRL South and DRL North were being implemented separately.

They were using the same subway trains they use on the rest of the system. This was mentioned.

I think that Corktown might be better off moving to Cherry and the rail corridor, but i'm not sure if the grades would allow that.

That Corktown stop at least addresses the major glaring omission from the City's DRL plan, having a station directly serving Parliament Street.

I feel as though added stops are needed where it swings south of King on both ends, maybe around the vicinity of Strachan in the west and River in the east. Also once again Mortimer is being overlooked, which is a pity.

Thorncliffe Park is only 9km from Queen Station on the proposed alignment.. I hope that the travel times are better than 26 minutes.. Hopefully that includes walking, waiting for the train, etc.

Also, saying 16 minutes saved on a commute isn't a big deal is silly. That's an extra half hour every day for a commuter.

Back