Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I think that Corktown might be better off moving to Cherry and the rail corridor, but i'm not sure if the grades would allow that.

I know. I keep looking at this map, feeling intuitively that it shouldn’t work, but I think it’s feasible

My top concern right now is capacity. The DRL North was projected to move 20,000 pphpd in 2031, and that’s with the line running just between Osgoode and Sheppard. If the government is planning to use smaller trains, will this thing be able to handle the capacity of a line spanning from Exhibition to Don Mills Station? That’s probably a 25,000 pphpd line right there.

Unless the government can demonstrate that this can move 30,000 pphpd, I’ll be opposing this plan. And frankly, considering population growth, I’m not even comfortable with 30,000 pphpd. With an extension to Sheppard plus population growth, by 2041 we will be exceeding 30k pphpd; that’s barely 10 years after this thing will open. This proposal is shaping up to be Canada Line 2.0

But hey, perhaps it’s better to have over capacity transit than no transit at all?

I’d much rather spend the $5 Billion to get this done right. Unless there is a magical smaller train that can move 30,000 pphpd, this design is going to end up handicapping transit in the north and east end of the city.

This is especially bad for people in Scarborough. The Relief Line North was supposed to provide them with extremely fast service to the Downtown core. With this design, Scarborough gets left out in the cold here

I want to hate this redesign... but I can't. I think that doing a large portion of the line at grade or elevated will be much better than digging through bedrock below Carlaw. I was also fearing that the western terminus would end up south of the Lakeshore line, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The most important thing is going to be having good connections to the GO lines at East Harbour, and to the Eglinton Crosstown. Having a Corktown station at Parliament and King is a little more intuitive to me than right under a couple of overpasses at Sumach, especially since it still connects to the 504.

With the right technology, this just might be what the city needs. Too bad nobody really knows what the technology is going to be, or if this is will be redesigned again and undo everything.

I think that Corktown might be better off moving to Cherry and the rail corridor, but i'm not sure if the grades would allow that.
It seems like an elevated station at Cherry would be difficult with the transition point between tunneled and elevated/at grade.

I want to hate this redesign... but I can't. I think that doing a large portion of the line at grade or elevated will be much better than digging through bedrock below Carlaw. I was also fearing that the western terminus would end up south of the Lakeshore line, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The most important thing is going to be having good connections to the GO lines at East Harbour, and to the Eglinton Crosstown. Having a Corktown station at Parliament and King is a little more intuitive to me than right under a couple of overpasses at Sumach, especially since it still connects to the 504.

With the right technology, this just might be what the city needs. Too bad nobody really knows what the technology is going to be, or if this is will be redesigned again and undo everything.
I think Phil Verster's description of the walk across platform transfers at East Harbour might actually be possible with this design.

Thank you @raptor for sharing!

This is rather bizarre.

Why is a large southeast portion above ground?! East Harbour is going to be quite dense by the time this thing is built.

The southern dips seem like a great idea, but there isn't even a station on the southernmost portion of the east side. What's the point of doing that?
It's beside the GO tracks or on top. Nothing bizarre about this. I expected a similar plan from the day PC announced their plans.

It seems like I have correctly predicted that Exhibition station would be elevated on top of the current GO station. There was a whole debate about curves and yet ML has presented a plan with such tight curves. I'm still betting ML is finding someone who can supply this technology.

I'll side w/those who see the glass 1/2 empty here.

I remain deeply skeptical about the technical merits of certain choices which appear to require threading a camel through the eye of a needle.

Be that as it may..........

I am more concerned at this moment by the proposed maintenance facility location, which appears to be the current Tremco Plant in Leaside. (PS the slopes here are not particularly stable, and the one below the Tremco site was reconstructed by the TRCA and the river moved at considerable expense only a few years ago. )

Anyone notice that there is no indication as to how this facility will connect to the new line?

It will be surrounded on its south and east sides by very sensitive environmental lands and features the CP Main line through or to the north depending on layout.

The logical connection, directly across the valley would be very disruptive environmentally, very expensive and would run beside or through the Ontario Science Centre.

There are alternatives but none are particularly great.

I am also entirely prepared to question what the elevated choice does to impact development potential in intensifying areas; never mind potentially decimating trees along Overlea Blvd.

If this can be made to work, well, great! But I see this as questionably competent at best, or a rouse to delay spending.

I'm still betting ML is finding someone who can supply this technology.

Are we actually expecting some new technology?

All this talk of technology sounds like a bit of a red herring to me. There’s no technology that’s going to magically solve the capacity issues at hand.

A LIM-based technology would allow for shorter train heights and therefore smaller tunnels. LIM seems like the obvious choice, although I don’t believe it would save that much money overall; tunnelling is only a small fraction of project costs. We might save $25 Million to $100 Million on tunnelling.

Again, the fatal flaw here is capacity. We can’t just hope for a magic technology to make that problem go away. The line as proposed is a 20k pphp line. 20k pphpd is not compatible with “smaller trains”

Last edited:
Really REALLY Bad idea. These curves look tighter than the Union station curves. Someone clearly did not run this by a transportation engineer, because there is no way in hell that commuters will choose this routing over the existing subway unless you are going to Corktown or old Toronto. I'd estimate that this would add at least 3 minutes to the journey, not including those that result from a technology change.

Based on the desire to go elevated over the river, I expect they realized that they couldn't cross Corktown Common Park, except at the very southern fringe without massive political blowback, and this is the result.

If I'm correct in this assumption they get points for not being completely obtuse, but then lose them for a design that is not based on form follows function.

Last edited:
Crazy idea to reduce headways:

What if the terminal stations used a loop, rather than a crossover. ATO theoretically allows headways as little as 90 seconds, but in reality is impossible due to conflicting train movements at terminal stations. But a terminal loop would eliminate these conflicting movements. Could this be used to significantly lower headways?

I know. I keep looking at this map, feeling intuitively that it shouldn’t work, but I think it’s feasible

My top concern right now is capacity. The DRL North was projected to move 20,000 pphpd in 2031, and that’s with the line running just between Osgoode and Sheppard. If the government is planning to use smaller trains, will this thing be able to handle the capacity of a line spanning from Exhibition to Don Mills Station? That’s probably a 25,000 pphpd line right there.

Extending beyond University won't increase peak-point ridership as 75% of riders will be exiting or transferring between Yonge/University. Anyone continuing beyond will be counter-peak.

ATO theoretically allows headways as little as 90 seconds...

The 90 second number is derived from the train length, train speed, and distance between tracks (width/length of the cross-over section). If you use a shorter train, a higher speed, or design techniques to reduce the size of the shared track distance; then that time period may be reduced.

Vancouver Expo line hits 60 seconds regularly, 45 second frequencies is possible but doesn't leave any recovery time for issues.

Chicago, in the heavily interlined loop section (not ATO AFAIK), achieves 30 second frequencies (not scheduled, but a result of congestion) on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Meh. Silly beeline, moving stations that were analyzed, deduced, and decided upon years ago. A station at Queen/DeGrassi...is there room for that, and what's the merit vs previously-selected Carlaw? Is this elevated above the (already elevated) rail corridor? Is it 1985 again? They're arguing they don't want to go deep, but how complex is it and how many subsurface property rights are they obtaining for that Moss Park-Corktown-Broadview ess curve? Lots of underground parking and foundations now and planned.

The part north of Cosburn could be okay. The different technology thing I'm okay with provided it's 30kpphpd. But I have a hard time grasping the connection between using a different technology and what this map is showing. Keep the original route and use a diff technology.

Reactions: syn
Quick comparison attempt.

Where's that Leslieville station gonna go?

It's beside the GO tracks or on top. Nothing bizarre about this. I expected a similar plan from the day PC announced their plans.

It seems like I have correctly predicted that Exhibition station would be elevated on top of the current GO station. There was a whole debate about curves and yet ML has presented a plan with such tight curves. I'm still betting ML is finding someone who can supply this technology.

It is when the previous plan seemed to be almost entirely underground.

Back