Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

There are certainly international examples we could look to (I am sure steve will be happy to pull up for us) where RER-like service turns into rapid-transit like stop-spacing when it approaches the downtown core, with stops every 800m-1km rather than every 2-3km.

Not only is there an example, but its called the RER!! hahaha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Réseau_Express_Régional

A rapid transit regional lines that then tunnel underground and offer subway-like service in the core of Paris.

The transit needs of Toronto are not their priority.
I'll have to keep making this point: If the City can raise the capital to do this, then go right ahead! There is NO money to fund any of this, save for dribs already tendered for investigative prep and preliminary design. And QP is committed to one thing in reality: Cut Spending. Which leaves only one possibility: Private Capital, in whole or in part. Metrolinx, even before the latest QP announcement, warned of the RL South of having a business case of 'one', and warned how precarious that was. That was a huge change of position by ML, a story in itself, suspicion being that they were fudging all along under political duress. Are they still under duress? Perhaps...but when Private Capital enters the picture, whether I, you or anyone else likes it or not, it HAS to be based on a business case. Good luck with that with what you're proffering.
If the Relief Line was built 50 years ago, would we be debating about an Express Relief Line vs second local subway line through downtown now?
Probably not in the way we are now, but if it were just the South built, definitely. Anyone who thinks that a toy train from Pape to Osgoode is going to magically relieve the entire system thinks that arterial roads can be built instead of highways. This is a REGIONAL issue, and since the Region(s) is/are funding this (or overseeing regulation if Private), then they collectively must reap the benefit. The subway as is with tweaks would work fine if left to do what it was initially intended to do. The major problem comes from being swamped with passengers it was never intended to cater to in the first place, the vast majority of that 'excess' being from outside Toronto.
First, stations are the most costly item in these transit mega-projects, especially when they are underground.
I beg to differ. It's the tunnelling itself, especially deep rock tunnelling. Not that station boxes aren't cheap, but local stops can be much more modest in scope. This is already very well established and documented practice in a number of world class cities. Crossrail has become so studied on the issue that they have a publishing arm now to share their extensive reports and investigations to others, warts and all of late. They're not perfect, but still one of the best models to copy. This isn't rocket science. This is established practice in quite a number of nations, Canada included, Montreal being a prime example of rock tunnelling.
I believe that those local stations would be cut for efficiencies, especially once Ford takes a look at the ridership numbers for a stop like Sherbourne and questions what's the point?
Then the City should fund it themselves! If the City had the funding and where-with-all to provide local stops prior, then they can do it come the final design. I have to return to the "Pape Entitlement" on this. They can do what the rest of us must do: Take a bus or streetcar, or bike/walk to the closest station. Or locate close to one. If the ridership isn't there, how can you possibly espouse building a station for the sake of it?
But first, we need to build the necessary capacity on the Yonge Line
WHAT? How can you tout the need for local stops, relief, funding from wherever other than QP, and then proffer jacking more people into the straw running on Yonge Street as it is?

I don't even have to make the case for not extending the Yonge line north, the City, TTC, independent professionals and riders have all made it so well. Line 1 and 2 need relief, not further loading.

Addendum: I was Googling for the Crossrail engineering paper on the subject of extending platforms yesterday to link to a claim I've been making on extending platforms in deep tunnel. I've yet to find that particular report with pages on the subject, but here's the info I've tripped across looking for reference to the costs of deep tunnelling: (And this also buttresses points made by others, @BurlOak especially, who rightly raises the prospect of using newer cut and cover methods as well as flying guideways where low density permits)
[...]
FUTURE PROOFING

The population figures for London post-2030 have been revised significantly upwards since the last census, from 8.5 million to 10 million. Its transport systems will need to expand again to cope. In the tradition of the best Victorian engineering, Crossrail has built capacity for the service to be increased into the designs for tunnelling and railway work.

The team appreciated that it would be hugely costly, disruptive and very difficult to retrofit any extra capacity. For the initial service, trains will be 10 carriages long, but platforms have been constructed to take 12. The signalling system through the central section will be able to manage 32 trains and hour, eight more than the 24 the Crossrail service will open with.

Throughout all the cost management and value engineering carried out to keep the project within its £14.8 billion construction budget, that extra capability has survived and will be part of Crossrail’s legacy for London for the next half century and more.
[...]
https://www.ingenia.org.uk/Ingenia/Articles/084273a1-c237-43f1-9c96-cdd94f1cff85

Bear in mind those 'carriages' are mainline carriages, not subway train ones...

Last edited:
PATH does, but I don't need to go there. London and Paris certainly do. Where do you think the term "RER" came from? I've linked the Crossrail and Thamslink info many times here, as well as Tramtrain, Karlsruhe model, etc, etc.

For London alone:

http://citytransport.info/Shared.htm

In London's case, where the Underground uses a unique four rail system (supply and drain are two separate rails) there's even a long established (almost a century ago) compromise to run the trains along with the mainline 'third rail electrics' (mostly ex Southern Region south of the Thames) to ensure compatibility electrically as well, as of course, the standard gauge tracks and platform height and distance from the rails to render them standard for use for both systems.

http://citytransport.info/Shared.htm

"Newfangled"? My God...how stuck in the past is Toronto?
Honestly Steve, do you really believe that Transit Operators in Toronto will have the experience, the motivation, or the will to run numerous services on one line, including privately operated services, coordinating with different rail companies/organizations, scheduling properly, etc? I don't. NYC already does a piss poor job of running NJT, LIRR, PATH, and AMTRAK trains into Penn Station, the only country that can really pull it off is Japan (Germany, Austria, France have nationalized railways. England is notorious for their piss-poor service reliability as well (by European Standards)). The US can't coordinate their freight properly, Metrolinx sure as hell can't without screwing something up. As much as a lot of us would love for and integrated TTC subway and GO service, it's not going to happen. Quite frankly, that's probably for the best. The Subway and RER serve completely different purposes, and you can't really truly integrate them without having express/local services built into the relief line, and there's no way the ford government is proposing that, especially since he wants to cut costs.

The relief line currently in-design is already fairly cheap by almost all accounts. Sure, it has deep bore tunnels and mined stations, but the tunnels have a smaller diameter than the crosstown's tunnels, the service is being run with a third rail, meaning that both maintenance and replacement are arguably easier and less expensive (the electrical infrastructure is another story, my power systems knowledge is not great enough to know which one would be more expensive, but it'd probably be the third rail one due to the higher currents and low voltage DC supplies). The line is using existing rolling stock meaning a new yard does not have to be built, and the logistics are made a lot easier. You can't really bore shallower without running into surface infrastructure or geographical challenges, so regardless of what technology they choose, if it's going to be tunneled, it's going to be deep. Fords plan has to be cheaper than what we're presented with, meaning that the new plan will either cut out stations, shorten train length, reduce the frequency (because the trains are part of the costs, and the extra space needed to store and maintain them), or reduce the value of the line (by running it on a different corridor per say). This is not a good idea by any accounts. This line needs the capacity of a subway and needs the future proofing necessary for it to sustain the growth of the city, traffic from relief line North, West, Sheppard, and the Eglinton Crosstown, and contingencies when line 1 or 2 will eventually need an overhaul.

The major problem comes from being swamped with passengers it was never intended to cater to in the first place, the vast majority of that 'excess' being from outside Toronto

I really question if that is the case. Crowding on Line 1 comes from the east end TTC buses, hardly outside Toronto. Yes, many 905 commuters arrive at Finch. But according to that snappy visual the TTC was bandying about a few years back (pictured here under Board 3), Line 1 approaches capacity south of Lawrence as more and more of the aforementioned east end bus routes pour into the subway.

Speaking of.crossrail, that project isn't going so well across the pond

This is old news, and yes, it's slightly over-budget and a year late. Two sections are already open, it's the core in tunnel that isn't due mostly to having to run three separate signalling and control systems, something Crossrail engineers have written about extensively as something they'd never undertake again in the future.

An engineering job of this size (largest in Europe until recently) is rare to finish on-time and on-budget.

I've provided examples, references and links. There's many excellent world systems doing what you intimate can't be done.
Crowding on Line 1 comes from the east end TTC buses, hardly outside Toronto.
Then I don't even need to make the point...in the event, it happens in the west end too on Line 2. So I take it you agree that the subway shouldn't be extended until other options can bypass it?

Last edited:
Honestly Steve, do you really believe that Transit Operators in Toronto will have the experience, the motivation, or the will to run numerous services on one line, including privately operated services, coordinating with different rail companies/organizations, scheduling properly, etc? I don't. NYC already does a piss poor job of running NJT, LIRR, PATH, and AMTRAK trains into Penn Station, the only country that can really pull it off is Japan (Germany, Austria, France have nationalized railways. England is notorious for their piss-poor service reliability as well (by European Standards)). The US can't coordinate their freight properly, Metrolinx sure as hell can't without screwing something up. As much as a lot of us would love for and integrated TTC subway and GO service, it's not going to happen. Quite frankly, that's probably for the best. The Subway and RER serve completely different purposes, and you can't really truly integrate them without having express/local services built into the relief line, and there's no way the ford government is proposing that, especially since he wants to cut costs.

You have a good point regarding the challenges of operating multiple services within the same corridor, especially when they belong to different organizations and serve different markets.

However, we don't necessarily need to make it as complex as the Penn Station and the routes leading to that station. The local / express operation is nice but isn't absolutely necessary. If we have the Downtown RER Tunnel and the East York Tunnel, all trains using them can be "local" making all stops.

The design of RL East is actually semi-express, with stop spacing much wider than in the central sections of the YUS and BD lines. It has just 5 stops between Yonge/Queen and Pape/Danforth. No harm if all RER trains using the tunnel serve each of those stops. Next ~ 3 stops get us to Science Centre, that's OK as well. And then, 1/3 or 1/4 of all trains continue north of Lawrence using the existing RH track, with stop spacing more typical for commuter service.

Other branches: LSE or Uxbridge in the east, LSW / Weston Sub / Bolton in the west, will leave the tunnel even sooner, switching to the typical commuter-rail stop spacing.

Crossrail is having issues, I read all six of the major London + Guardian pubs each night and the geek vids on Youtube, but this is a particularly poor piece of journalism on the subject;
A number of “near misses” occurred in terms of worker injuries as “we are now running a 100mph railway through a construction site”, Mr Wild said.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tra...plete-and-train-testing-on-hold-a4103056.html

That's excellent! The Class 345s only have a rated top speed of 90 mph. Good to know that they can do 100 through the tunnel sections. This surpasses all expectations!.

Meantime, here's the story that was based on, and of course the new CEO is going to overstate how behind it is.
Here's where much of that story originated three months ago:
https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/true-scale-of-crossrail-problems-laid-bare/10038753.article
If we have the Downtown RER Tunnel and the East York Tunnel, all trains using them can be "local" making all stops.
What some are overlooking is that RER is going to be run mixed with DD and VIA as already touted. In an effort to complicate a situation, and in deference to examples in other nations (Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Holland are excellent examples) local, express and distance trains perform very well sharing one pair of tracks. Highly signalled and controlled, mind you. The European signalling system https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Train_Control_System does wonders.

But some insist that because they can't dance, no-one can either. It's a very Toronto malady, unfortunately. Let me remind readers that VIA is still adamant that there's no technological reason that HFR can't share the Mount Royal Tunnel with REM.

Not the best source, but this tells the story in a limited way (the tech is considerably more sophisticated than this story alludes to)
Lacroix said there is technology coming to allow heavy rail cars to be adapted to a light-rail track. However, he did not say how much this new technology would cost. Because VIA’s proposal is not yet public, it isn’t known if it includes adapting heavy rail trains to run on the Deux-Montagnes Line.

The other issue for VIA is that even if its trains are adapted to run through the tunnel, the company will once again have to contend with using a track it doesn’t own. As such, its trains will have to work around the schedule of the REM, which will be transporting thousands of people every six to 12 minutes through the tunnel.
https://montrealgazette.com/news/lo...quebec-to-windor-travel-would-involve-the-rem

Done in many places in Europe. I've detailed, referenced and linked some of them in this string. Needless to say, REM is standard track gauge.

Addendum: Since some aren't able to follow links and reference, here's the Thameslink example I posted prior, not only running up to 2.5 min headways through tunnel in London's core and out the exurbs north and south, working so well that the core now hosts ATO (A vid link is posted here yesterday) Automatic Train Control...driverless...a mainline service through the core of the City.

Crossrail will match this, it's done in many European cities, the point never seems to sink in to some Toronto minds:
Thameslink first with ATO over ETCS
20 Mar 2018

UK: Working with Network Rail and Siemens,commuter operator Govia Thameslink Railway has successfully operated its first passenger-carrying train using ATO over ETCS Level 2.
On March 17 a southbound eight-car Thameslink train to Three Bridges operated automatically through the cross-city core between St Pancras, Farringdon, City Thameslink and London Blackfriars, transitioning into ETCS Level 2 on its approach from Kentish Town and back to conventional signalling between Blackfriars and Elephant & Castle.
GTR is using Grade of Automation 2, with the driver checking the platforms, closing the doors and initiating departure from each station. The Siemens-built Class 700 EMU ran between stops using the ATO and cab signalling, opening the doors automatically at the next station.
‘This is a real “world first” and I’m delighted’, said GTR’s Systems Integration Manager Jim Doughty. ‘It is the culmination of a programme which has been running continuously since the start of the £7bn Thameslink Programme. This cutting-edge system will allow us to run our high-intensity Thameslink service of up to 24 trains/h each way, offering 70% more seats through the centre of London’.
The project partners have run nearly 200 night and day shifts of testing since April 2016 when dynamic proving trials began at Network Rail’s ETCS National Integration Facility at Hertford North. Testing of ATO over ETCS started in November of that year. ETCS Level 2 has been overlaid on the conventional lineside signalling through the Thameslink core, with short blocks allowing trains to operate at closer headways.
GTR has had to demonstrate to regulator ORR that it has amended its Health & Safety Management System to operate trains in passenger service using both ETCS and ATO. It has also started a comprehensive driver training programme ready for the launch of full ATO working between St Pancras and Blackfriars at 22 trains/h from May 2019 and through to London Bridge from December 2019.
Network Rail’s Project Director for High Capacity Infrastructure, Martin Chatfield, said ‘seeing the first UK mainline train running in ATO for passenger services is a truly momentous day for the Thameslink Programme and the wider industry teams involved. This underlines the combined efforts of NR, the supply chain, and the train operators over the past five years.’
Read our comprehensive article about the installation of ETCS and ATO through the Thameslink core in the September 2015 issue of Railway Gazette International magazine, available to subscribers in our digital archive.
https://www.railwaygazette.com/news...view/thameslink-first-with-ato-over-etcs.html

But, but, but...they drive on the wrong side of the road!

Last edited:
Then I don't even need to make the point...in the event, it happens in the west end too. So I take it you agree that the subway shouldn't be extended until other options can bypass it?

Yes, I agree that we shouldn't be extending existing lines until relief arrives (in whatever form). I'm just challenging your point that crowding from outside Toronto. I don't think this is the case and that crowding comes from inside Toronto. I suppose I am concerned about integration between the existing subway and a through running RER service. I'm afraid a service like that will become part of GO and involve an extra fare, voiding its value for Line 1 relief; and have paltry last mile local bus service because the TTC will just say NMP. If relief is to be through running RER, we need robust fare integration and TTC frequency last mile bus connections. I would go as far as - gasp - free transfers.

EDIT: Lack of fare integration and last mile buses will be the exact same reason GO RER will fail to grow ridership beyond additional parking. I find it alarming Metrolinx is not devoting a helluva more attention to this.

Can we please subside the continuous discussion about RER. For starters RER is not anything. Other than some docs and infographics it doesn't exist. May as well be talking about SuperGO, another Prov electric GO priority (to be in place today but very clearly not). Or UPX which I'm pretty sure was supposed to be electric by now. It's fine to speculate, but there's no evidence that this weird backroom "jaw-dropping" RL update is supposed to be RER, nor any evidence that it's mainline compatible, bilevel, or catenary. Sure obviously it could be. But it also could not be, which actually somewhat seems the case.

Now Steve, obviously we're all aware that other cities have high-frequency / local-stopping commuter services. Whether it be by common knowledge or the continuous reminders in almost every thread. But if you could kindly refrain from the hyper-focused speculation (expectation), or at least expand your view that this could in fact be mainline incompatible, it'd be helpful. With the sordid maglev smirk we're now dealing with I'm actually thinking this could be some narrow-bodied LIM setup.

I'm just challenging your point that crowding from outside Toronto.
That's not what I stated! Go back and quote me exactly. I stated (gist) "We have enough crowding as it is in Toronto, why extend it to the exurbs where it takes crowding over-capacity".

Without travellers from outside the city, riding on flat TTC fares (check out where many of the cars at TTC parking lots come from) subsidized by Torontonians, depriving Torontonians of spaces on the trains that were built for them, not outsiders, then the subways with a few tweaks could handle the load.

In the event, I can add another new twist to the claim:
There is a mass exodus of people out of Toronto CMA. Not surprisingly, many of them are winding up in adjacent CMAs like Barrie and Oshawa. But we’re seeing the population flows as far away as London. We saw this first hand when we sold our house in London back in 2017 — pretty much everyone who inquired about it was currently living in Toronto.
https://medium.com/@MikePMoffatt/examining-the-exodus-out-of-toronto-b10384daffb5

Being discussed here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/planned-sprawl-in-the-gta.20816/page-31#post-1434699

Toronto subways were built for Torontonians, except for the ridiculous extension up to Vaughan, while Torontonian's real needs were ignored. The overflow comes from outside of Toronto in most cases. And that's my point. As to internal crunch, it looks like (according to StatsCan figures) Toronto proper is shrinking! Those exurbs are far better served by GO, albeit it costs them more. So who is subsidizing whom when they use the TTC?
For starters RER is not anything.
lol...neither's the Relief Line. Check.
EDIT: Lack of fare integration and last mile buses will be the exact same reason GO RER will fail to grow ridership beyond additional parking. I find it alarming Metrolinx is not devoting a helluva more attention to this.
These issues MUST be rationalized before anything is built. Totally agreed. That being said, as I continually state, the Province isn't going to put money of size into this, and any they do will be underwritten by chattel, so Private Enterprise (perhaps and ostensibly with the InfraBank participation, instigation) is the only way I can see the Relief Line being built (the City has dick save for big ideas), and so market pricing is going to have to prevail. Whether the Province subsidizes that or not remains to be seen. Do I like this outcome? There's no choice! That being said, it also has to apply to highways. User Pay.

Last edited:
With the sordid maglev smirk we're now dealing with I'm actually thinking this could be some narrow-bodied LIM setup.
Wonder if it could be something along the lines of the Toei Oedo line in Tokyo.

Back