Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Doesn’t the text say the project could be doubling in cost? How would that kind of cost escalation point to LRT for the relief line?
I'm reading in between the lines.

Scarborough Subway cost escalations have doubled due to complications surrounding the ravine near Lawrence, plus the addition of the additional stations. The Relief Line has probably increased as well due to the engineering work progressing on the project, but I doubt that Relief Line cost number itself has doubled.

But that doesn't present good optics for Scarborough.

.. that also seems to confirm why Relief Line North has been practically stopped. They are way behind that initial timeline now.

I wouldn't assume too much just yet.

They said:

• The Yonge North Extension to Richmond Hill, work for which the province proposes should “progress in parallel to the Relief Line,” in order to accelerate its opening date “to the greatest extent possible.”
That is something that Ford wants ASAP so the relief line might not be pushed back... maybe even forward? Forward is probably pushing it a little though.

Nah. YNSE isn't moving forward either. The Province has predicated the completion of the YNSE on the completion of the DRL, and you are not going to totally redesign the DRL from scratch in this political term. Both projects are dead, along with the SSE and the EWLRT.

And there it is... the Ford govt. is changing the Relief Design to some other, yet to define technology, because the Scarborough subway has gone over budget and he wants to add 2 more stops.

So let me get this straight, Scarborough “deserves a subway” but downtown Toronto with ridership that actually justifies a subway is getting what... light rail?
I got a different impression from the MTO Letter to the City.

Finally, in terms of the rundown of priority project design/delivery incongruencies outlined in our letter, we wanted to highlight the following:
  • With respect to the Scarborough Subway Extension, we recognize that the city/TTC and province share the intention for a station to be located at Scarborough Centre. However, under the province's preferred three-stop extension of Line 2, the project would proceed northward from the station at Scarborough Centre.
  • With respect to the Eglinton West Extension, we recognize that tunnelling options for the project have been considered as part of previous assessment, but that these options are not preferred by the city/TTC.
  • With respect to the Relief Line South, we recognize that the city/TTC is contemplating a different technology for the project than that currently deployed for Line 2.
Summary:
  1. Province want SSE to go north of STC.
  2. City wants Eglinton West to be on-street.
  3. City wants DRL to have different technology.

City wants DRL to have different technology.

What technologies are there to possibly choose from? ICTS? RER (which would certainly be even more expensive than a traditional metro for this cash-strapped government)?

Read between the lines people. This government doesn't want a different technology, they want nothing.

What technologies are there to possibly choose from? ICTS? RER (which would certainly be even more expensive than a traditional metro for this cash-strapped government)?

Read between the lines people. This government doesn't want a different technology, they want nothing.

Too early to tell based on a bunch of letters with no details, plus some contradiction from the city's part re: new technology

AoD

More city officials have come out and said that QP's claim of costs doubling is BS, so I really don't know what's going on. Either QP is intentionally lying to us, or this government is run by a bunch of morons. Or some of category A and some of category B. We'll see.

More city officials have come out and said that QP's claim of costs doubling is BS, so I really don't know what's going on. Either QP is intentionally lying to us, or this government is run by a bunch of morons. Or some of category A and some of category B. We'll see.
You just roll into town?

In the EPR which was completed not that long ago ICTS was carried forward from the longlist. Probably a surprise for some since even a few years ago at the meetings staff were adamant that conventional subway was the right solution. As well that "ICTS" is a long dated trademark for a single manufacturer's train (that hasn't been built in 30yrs). But fair that it got shortlisted.

As far as the Prov is concerned, yes agree nothing would be their preferred option when it comes to transit in Toronto.

I doubt ICTS, although that's what I wanted originally.
An ICTS "subway" (i.e. fully grade-separated) transit line from YYZ to Mount Dennis to Kennedy to STC and Malvern.
An ICTS DRL from Seneca to Pape to Downtown to the Ex.
An ICTS conversion and extension of Sheppard from Downsview to STC and UTSC.
A possible ICTS along Finch from Humber College to Finch West to Finch.

Other non LIM could also be considered.

So let me get this straight, Scarborough “deserves a subway” but downtown Toronto with ridership that actually justifies a subway is getting what... light rail?

Noone in the right mind will build underground light rail through downtown for the cost of heavy rail. Not even Doug Ford.

They might be thinking of mainline-compatible heavy rail.

Back