Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Well the Relief Line will go through North York, East York, Old Toronto and potentially Etobicoke if they route the Relief Line to Jane, that is a lot of potential happy Councillors.

Well the Relief Line will go through North York, East York, Old Toronto and potentially Etobicoke if they route the Relief Line to Jane, that is a lot of potential happy Councillors.

Jane Street is not in Etobicoke though, it's in York and North York technically. Of course the Relief Line could follow the Weston-Galt past Jane all the way to the Woodbine Centre or better yet Humber College via Hwy 27. Then it would have the distinction of touching 5 of the 6 former boroughs.

What do you guys think about this?
  1. Canvass the readers of this thread (and all UT'ers) to submit suggestions for a new name for the Relief Line.
  2. Make a poll in this thread for a new name, and close it at a certain date.
  3. Allowing UT'ers to privately submit the poll results to city council/committee and Metrolinx, but in a way that doesn't say 'our choice should be the new name' but just generally highlighting the need for a name change.
I'd want the City to consider a proper name that makes sense, not have politicians try and name it after someone. Screw that, one single person has not championed this line for half a century, it has taken public pressure to get it to this point and it still crawls at an agonizing pace.

If "Queen" is somehow not acknowledged in the title, we riot... Lol.

DQ, Don Mills-Queen.

If "Queen" is somehow not acknowledged in the title, we riot... Lol.

DQ, Don Mills-Queen.

Don-Mills -Dairy Queen Line (pending sponsorship agreement)

Jane Street is not in Etobicoke though, it's in York and North York technically. Of course the Relief Line could follow the Weston-Galt past Jane all the way to the Woodbine Centre or better yet Humber College via Hwy 27. Then it would have the distinction of touching 5 of the 6 former boroughs.

My non-Toronto roots were showing ha. Was looking at a former Etobicoke map and suggested Jane was. Still - 4 out of 6 is impressive. I'm shocked this was not done in the 1980s.

What do you guys think about this?
  1. Canvass the readers of this thread (and all UT'ers) to submit suggestions for a new name for the Relief Line.
  2. Make a poll in this thread for a new name, and close it at a certain date.
  3. Allowing UT'ers to privately submit the poll results to city council/committee and Metrolinx, but in a way that doesn't say 'our choice should be the new name' but just generally highlighting the need for a name change.
I'd want the City to consider a proper name that makes sense, not have politicians try and name it after someone. Screw that, one single person has not championed this line for half a century, it has taken public pressure to get it to this point and it still crawls at an agonizing pace.
Don Mills Line sounds the best but it isn't really accurate since it runs on Queen too. But Don-Queen Line sounds weird and Queen-Don doesn't exactly roll off the tongue like Yonge-University-Spadina does (Yes I'm serious, lol).

Maybe "Don Mills - Downtown"

Don Mills Line sounds the best but it isn't really accurate since it runs on Queen too. But Don-Queen Line sounds weird and Queen-Don doesn't exactly roll off the tongue like Yonge-University-Spadina does (Yes I'm serious, lol).

I think having the word "Downtown" in the name title is precisely what they're trying to avoid.

I see nothing wrong with having "Queen" in the title though as there could be up to ten stations underneath Queen Street if ever extended out to Roncesvalles.

I think if the line needs a name, it should be limited to one word and definitely not three/four words each representing a street. That sounds rather stupid.

Line-3-mug_large.jpg

I think having the word "Downtown" in the name title is precisely what they're trying to avoid.
Lol whoops. yeah you're right.

I think if the line needs a name, it should be limited to one word and definitely not three/four words each representing a street. That sounds rather stupid.
Maybe, but all 3 of the existing subway lines do exactly that.

Given Toronto's toxic Ford Nation politics, DRL may be more likely to get Council support for the City's share of funding if the "downtown" is replaced by something suburban. At the end of the day, who cares what they call DRL if they actually build it?

Back