Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Maybe when the DRL crosses the Don River at Millwood, it should stay elevated to Seneca College.

That's about 14km. The difference between $400M/km for underground vs. $125M/km for elevated amounts to $3.5B.
This is likely the option of choosing between extension to Eglinton, or extension to Finch+.

Similar thing happened in the West end. If the Spadina line would not have been built in the median of Allen, it would likely still be terminated at Eglinton today.
There are many options for Don Mills, besides tunneling.

We can cut-and-cover, we can elevate, heck we can even have it trenched.

I have the feeling the only option that would be studied is tunneled however.

There's nothing at Don Mills and York Mills anyway. It'd make more sense for the DRL to divert onto the existing railway just north of the Donway and put a station in that business park between YM and Leslie. That would save a lot of tunnelling money too because it could be outside.

The only issue would be deciding after that to either turn back east and meet up with Don Mills station or just continue on and make Leslie the transfer station. I'd obviously prefer the former but in this hypothetical where they follow the railway Leslie would be a lot easier/cheaper.
It's only a problem if people are fixated on Don Mills being the terminus of line 4. By moving the DRL transfer point to Leslie, there isn't much reason of objecting a line 4 extension to Victoria Park.

Maybe when the DRL crosses the Don River at Millwood, it should stay elevated to Seneca College.

That's about 14km. The difference between $400M/km for underground vs. $125M/km for elevated amounts to $3.5B.
This is likely the option of choosing between extension to Eglinton, or extension to Finch+.

Similar thing happened in the West end. If the Spadina line would not have been built in the median of Allen, it would likely still be terminated at Eglinton today.

There are many options for Don Mills, besides tunneling.

We can cut-and-cover, we can elevate, heck we can even have it trenched.

I have the feeling the only option that would be studied is tunneled however.
Interesting. Would we bring it above at Eglinton or Lawrence/Don Mills?

It's only a problem if people are fixated on Don Mills being the terminus of line 4. By moving the DRL transfer point to Leslie, there isn't much reason of objecting a line 4 extension to Victoria Park.
If we assume Sheppard will be extended to STC, then people would support Don Mills because it would be easier and cleaner to transfer at the mall.

It can go up Old Weston/Rogers Road, connect under the crosstown stop. Dufferin would be nice, but would it capture as much ridership? Rogers can cut a lot of time off the commute of those coming croing from the central Etobicoke and western North York area. Then again, we'll see what happens when they open Mt Dennis rail station on the Brampton line.

I would have it go up Dufferin until either St. Clair West or Eglinton, and then just have it end there. Mt. Dennis and the rail corridor will already be very well served by RER. This would also in effect eliminate the need for the bottom half of the Dufferin bus route. I think that expanding the St Clair streetcar by incorporating a few branches (Weston/Rogers Rd?) would be better than a duplicate subway service along the same corridor. By having the DRL under Dufferin at St Clair, you'd be adding an additional N-S subway option to that corridor, lowering the peak point ridership dramatically.

Apologies that I don't have a link but I've read in previous reports the reason why Line 4 isn't extended to Vic Park. The vast majority of westbound travellers coming along Sheppard from east of Don Mills Road are making their way to Fairview Mall or plan to travel north or south on Don Mills. They are not travelling further west on Sheppard. The same patterns hold for eastbound travellers from Don Mills and Sheppard. They are disembarking east of Vic Park. Extending the Sheppard subway eastward to Vic Park imposes a one stop transfer on passengers travelling along Sheppard. This is a significant inconvenience.

This is also why it makes sense for the DRL to intersect Line 4 at Sheppard and Don Mills. If it intersects at a stop further west then a one or two stop transfer is required for many travellers from Scarborough.

I would have it go up Dufferin until either St. Clair West or Eglinton, and then just have it end there. Mt. Dennis and the rail corridor will already be very well served by RER. This would also in effect eliminate the need for the bottom half of the Dufferin bus route. I think that expanding the St Clair streetcar by incorporating a few branches (Weston/Rogers Rd?) would be better than a duplicate subway service along the same corridor. By having the DRL under Dufferin at St Clair, you'd be adding an additional N-S subway option to that corridor, lowering the peak point ridership dramatically.
But then the ridership would be lower, would it not? I mean by serving Mt Dennis we actually may capture more ridership to justify, because, I think DRL west will be the least used part of the line, especially if it goes up to Sheppard or Finch on the east side.

And look at this.

DRL from Queen to Mt Dennis, transfer to Eglinton west to Terminal 1 = $3.25
UP Express = $9.00
First option is longer but will save money.

I kind of wish Tory would cancel every other expansion project not underway, and just get the DRL built. Finish the Eglinton crosstown to its barebones, cancel/postpone the Scarborough subway, Smart Track, and everything else, including:
  • UP Express. ...
  • Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension. ...
  • Eglinton Crosstown LRT. ...
  • Finch West LRT. ...
Throw all the money, time and talent at the DRL - get it built by 2030. Multitasking is not our city's area of expertise. So, triage and pick the most important, which IMO is the DRL.

http://reliefline.ca

3239377530_da97a37cd1.jpg

@Admiral Beez

These aren't mutually exclusive. The toll will pay for the DVP and Gardiner. The toll is not politically feasible without the construction project. The upside is that it gets the DVP and Gardiner off the city's books.

We'll be lucky to see DRL long in our lifetimes. Talking about DRL west is wishful thinking at best at this point.
Agreed, at this pace.

Not entirely DRL related, but think of the crush of folks once all these condos are finished along the King-Queen-Dundas-Gerrard/College streetcar routes. I live near Regent Park, and I can't imagine the thousands of new residents trying to squeeze into the Dundas or Gerrard streetcars. Why don't we build new subways when the ground is being torn up to build condos?

Agreed, at this pace.

Not entirely DRL related, but think of the crush of folks once all these condos are finished along the King-Queen-Dundas-Gerrard/College streetcar routes. I live near Regent Park, and I can't imagine the thousands of new residents trying to squeeze into the Dundas or Gerrard streetcars. Why don't we build new subways when the ground is being torn up to build condos?

There's a very long, complicated, and frustrating answer to that question directly, but there's truly no good reason not to take the King and Queen, and probably Dundas, Gerrard, and College streetcars out of traffic entirely, in which case what you've got is nearly as good as a subway anyways.

It's kind of a travesty that that's not all about to happen imminently, let alone potentially ever.

Back