Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Ontario's transit agency Metrolinx will be receiving more than $150 million to work with the City of Toronto and the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) on advancing the planning and design work that will ensure the proposed line is shovel ready, making it easier for people to travel around the Greater Toronto Area.

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/06/ontario-supporting-next-steps-for-the-relief-subway-line.html

The Ontario government must be misinformed...

Facetiously...but not totally. Short of building the first kilometre of subway, what on earth could cost $150 million dollars before shovels hit the ground? That's a boatload of engineering, geology, architecture and other studies.

Is there any indication that they will continue the planning for the rest of the Relief Line Long?

I'd hate to learn that they plan to only pitch Phase 1 and not bother to pitch the whole thing (Dundas West to Sheppard) all at once.
why? WE all know how this will go over budget just with what is presently planned

Edited: The $150M Liberals are giving is already abad sign and of how things will go over budget. Where is this $150M going towards.

Is there any indication that they will continue the planning for the rest of the Relief Line Long?

I'd hate to learn that they plan to only pitch Phase 1 and not bother to pitch the whole thing (Dundas West to Sheppard) all at once.

City Planning plans to commence detailed work on RLL upon completion of the RLS EA. So that should begin in about 6 months.

The Mayor is just afraid of the Relief Line knocking his SmartTrack BS out of the headlines.

John Tory is a joke.
perhaps you are a joke. You obviously put down the Fords, not Tory, and I am sure whoever the next mayor is (when Tory no longer runs). Some people always have to complain about something

Are the display boards from the PCC available somewhere public? I'm unable to locate them on the Relief Line site :confused:

Spoke with TTC staff at today's meeting about why Osgoode Sation is on east side of university rather than the west. They said that building footings for the office building on the northwest side come out to far too allow for the TTC standard 20 meter station box and building code requirements to fit into ROW. This is not permenant however and as the design moves forward they may be able to seek a variance to allow for the a more narrow station on the west side.

It should be noted that a West side station was the preferred option but that at this stage of design they did not yet conduct design analysis to the degree that they could justify the rational in request to allow for this variance. It is my impression that this is the direction that will be moving towards in the further design staves once they have the analytical data to support their variance request.

Sounds like a decent rationale, but did anyone manage to ask why we don't have a Queen station east of Yonge instead?

Edited: The $150M Liberals are giving is already abad sign and of how things will go over budget. Where is this $150M going towards.

I see it as a bad sign also. Not sure if it's pessimism, but the way I see it is that the Prov gifted themselves $150M...probably as a means of having Metrolinx continue scheming away at YRNS. And if you read their last report it seems they're much further behind than the City/TTC, and not exactly on the same page for that matter. There were some real doozies presented, and I'm thinking that today's $150M is for Metrolinx to turn over every rock at finding affordable (possible non-subway) alternatives. Not to mention delay, delay, delay.

Further pessimism makes me also think yesterday's B1-EQ alignment presentation might be the last we see of the DRL as we know it. I wouldn't put it past Tory to muzzle Byford/Keesmaat and stop-work on everything the City/TTC has worked so hard on. Perhaps he'll hand the keys to Mlinx, dust his hands, and make it 100% their baby. After all, he appears to be more on the Prov's side on this front. I really don't think it's a coincidence that Wynne and Tory proposed/prioritized electrified Stouffville RER independently - a project which was rejected years ago, provides marginal 'relief', and directly interferes with DRL planning.

So that $150 million...

Cj5umZVVAAInY0i.jpg

Courtesy of
Jessica Smith Cross

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-1_23-0-9.gif
    upload_2016-6-1_23-0-9.gif
    46 bytes · Views: 219
From The Star at this link:

It could be between 12 and 15 years before the relief line is in operation, according to the mayor.

Groan! :eek:

I would like to hear from a more credible person rather than someone who disparaged the relief line during the election, who once said that SmartTrack will be built in "7 years not 17".

The reason why it's so important to have a relief line connection in the west to GO RER, including Smart Track, is because with no way to cut down on the number of trains terminating at Union, there is no way to increase train frequencies and speeds because too many trains are in the queue, which affects ridership on all transit systems. If even a third of trains inbound from the west and northwest terminated in a station west of Union, we'd be able to add more capacity to Union and provide immediate relief on platforms. We need a hub in the west to compliment the proposed Unilever station, even if it's on a smaller scale. The DRL will remain on Queen. There would either be a south spur to transfer to from the DRL or we would do as New York does and have alternate train routes traveling through some of the same tunnels. For example, the 'A' train from Pape could end at the Bathurst (North Yard) station; the 'B' train could travel to Roncesvalles (or up to Bloor).

Back