Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I dunno, if (as nfitz claims) a rail corridor alignment through the core is impossible, running something along Richmond or Adelaide and replacing the Queen & King cars (or at least their central segments) may not be such a bad idea.

I'd love to show a list of what Toronto deems impossible (even when blank cheques get tossed around) to a group of people from Japan or Europe...then I'd pay to see the expressions on their faces when they read the list.

A bonus with the routing to Dundas West could be a possible direct connection to the Vincent Yard. I'm sure Wilson and Davisville would prove to be too far for dead heading, and it would save the city some money using Vincent. Plus, I'm sure Greenwood is at capacity already, or too close that it wouldn't be able to accomodate maybe 10 trainsets for the DRL?

I wish I had a Toronto City Councillor to email with my support for the DRL. Unfortunately living in Mississauga I don't get a say on this.
I'd write a few anyway. It couldn't hurt. Moreover, write to Metrolinx, your MP and your MPP and explain why this downtown-centric subway line is actually central to fixing transit across the entire GTA.

I'm fine with either the Downtown subway or the Downtown Loop. Failing that, how about the Southern Crosstown line? Or the Southern Cross?
Southern Cross would have special meaning for "Dallas" fans.

I'd love to show a list of what Toronto deems impossible (even when blank cheques get tossed around) to a group of people from Japan or Europe...then I'd pay to see the expressions on their faces when they read the list.

Ja, please to tell me why you need eight tracks through ze Junction?

Contacting your elected official

About contacting our elected officials - Id also suggest that 905ers contact their MPPs to remind them of McGuinty's pledge to revitalize the old CPR station at Toronto North and to give it to GO transit. This station is right on Yonge just north of Summerhill. It would be great for 905ers who work in midtown, anywhere from Yorkville to St. Clair. Fixing it up compared to other GO transit expansion projects is the equivalent of buffing an old pair of shoes instead of buying a new pair. Lets fix and use the existing infrastructure, so less people are crammed into the Yonge subway.

Image1.jpg

Isn't there currently an underground parking garage under University Avenue going up from Front street? I guess the lower level could be turned into part of a walkway between Union and the Downtown Relief Line station.

picture_cp52.jpg

Last edited:
James, that's pretty much what I was describing earlier. While the transfers would be longer, it's not any longer than Spadina station, and traffic would be dispersed through five stations instead of one. The Tube in London has quite a few transfer stations with longer tunnels than that. It might look something like this:

I like the Wellington option as you show it on the map. Reminds me of the transfer as well between the State and Dearborn Subways in Chicago (that's a fun transfer, but not accessible). And if you want really long, busy walkways between subway lines, Mexico City can't be beat.

OK I wrote to Bob Delaney and Bonnie Crombie and a few Metrolinx officials. All of you sould do the same! (Well not Bob Delaney and Bonnie Crombie, but your own MPs and MPPs).

Guys, I personally think Queen is the obvious choice, but I also think its too premature to be debating these issues

That's a great figure! Looking at this, I'd say that Wellington makes more sense than King or Front. And what a great way to reduce the load at the transfer points - disperse it among 3 stations! Though I guess no one would actually change at Union itself. I think my preference is still for Queen, but if it isn't Queen, then this alignment along Wellington seem to make more sense than Front or King.

As for any underground parking garages that might be in the way - I'm not seeing that replacing a parking garage by a subway station as a problem!

Where would stations be located west of here using Wellington?

Guys, I personally think Queen is the obvious choice, but I also think its too premature to be debating these issues

Debating before an official report is an excellent time for everyone to voice their own opinions. If you look at the old posts, many times after an official report has surfaced, opinions change to that of the report (with the exceptions of St. Clair and Sheppard for eg).

Where would stations be located west of here using Wellington?

I'd see the line heading west, and then curving southwest, possibly at John or possibly at Blue Jays Way, to a stop near Spadina Avenue, connecting the line to City Place -- an important stop, in my opinion. From there, it would follow the top of the rail corridor to Bathurst, and try to find some way to either access the Exhibition, or just angle up the Weston sub towards Liberty Village and Dundas West station.

Both the Queen and King streetcars can be given their own ROWs, so building a subway along either street unnecessary.

How exactly do you figure that Queen and King can be given ROWs for streetcars? There's no space for that through the core of the city. You can't just simply say "fuck the cars, give 'em one lane only!" Make Queen & King into one way streets? Unlikely.

Back