Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

The current EA is for downtown to the Danforth.

Right, with good reason. EA's are approved in whole; it's all or nothing.

If they did an EA to Sheppard, and someone took issue with their house being torn down near Sheppard and Don Mills, and appealed the result then the entire project would be delayed as none of it could be approved.

What Ottawa is doing with their LRT (the second the EA for the central chunk was approved, they began looking at extensions) is how the DRL ought to be treated. Get the central portion approved and funded, then immediately look at extensions to allow for continuous construction.

They should definitely plan for the western leg simultaneously, in a separate EA - better to sync it with the Core area review as well.

AoD

So, a few things about this new study, which is completely bizarre to me:

-Why did they only compare the Relief line stub to an extension all the way to Sheppard? In none of the compared options does it include the usual option of going north to Eglinton (e.g. the "full' DRL from the metrolinx study). This feels like a political sop to make it seem less like the DRL is a line for "downtowners" than a legitimate study on the best options for transit in the area.

-Why are the terms of reference so completely different than in the city's downtown rapid transit study? I don't see anything about supporting growth in shoulder areas, relieving streetcar lines, encouraging TOD, supporting network redundancy. Of course if your only criteria is "how does this relieve the yonge line" then a line running exactly parallel to the Yonge line for 90% of its length is going to score well.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me either. When it comes to the DRL, I don't have full trust in what Mr Munro writes. Sometimes it seems he has a bit of a bias, or is kinda closed-minded on the topic.

He has written before that once you draw a line on a map it acquires a mental permanency that makes it seem writ in stone. I think that statement also applies to his own pet DRL alignment.

Immediately west of Don Mills there is a large, low density commercial and industrial area. This is an area that might be ideal for a large scale redevelopment, similar to the proposal Unilever lands. This area is roughly centred at York Mills @ Lesmill Road, which is where I'd put York Mills Station for the Don Mills line. I envision an urban area, with good mixture of commercial, residential, mid and high rise.

The connectivity of this neighbourhood would potentially make it one of Toronto's most attractive. Just about all of the neighbourhood would be walking distance (800 meters) from York Mills subway station, and from there it would be less than 5 minutes to the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and Fairview Mall and less than 15 minutes to downtown. There would be opportunities for two additional stations in the north and south ends of the neighbourhood (denoted by grey pins on the map). Finally, the DVP and 401 are both only minutes away.

Thoughts?

I used to work in that area, and could have used the DRL-LONG. It would take me 1h20 min by public transit, or 20 minutes by car...

I'm a little sceptical about a subway past Eglinton. What is the ridership potential for the northernmost part of "long"? Would an LRT from Eglinton to Steeles for half the money actually serve the people in that area better?

My thoughts exactly. Why did they choose LRT all the way from Sheppard to Downtown as an option when it is not technically feasible to have an LRT through downtown unless it's buried for almost the entire length south of Eglinton?

Ridership between Eglinton and Sheppard increases by only 6,300. However, keep in mind that it relieves ridership on Yonge by another 5,600 pphpd. This is another primary benefit of the line that would make 6,300 pphpd between Sheppard and Eglinton more palatable.

Also, it's not entirely clear if future land use patterns was used to generate the ridership estimates. I suspect they did not. Of the 6,300 pphpd expected between Sheppard and Eglinton, 5,600 were diverted from Yonge. This leaves only 700 pphpd in new trips generated on that section. That number is unbelievably low. Even a handful of new condos between Sheppard and Eglinton on Don Mills would generate more trips than that.

I think that it's kind of unfair to compare between different studies with different demand models. I have some other issues with their estimate: How is it that adding the western DRL only adds 300 pphpd? Going through the densest residential part of Toronto and intercepting everyone heading downtown coming from the west end of the BD line only adds 300?

My thoughts exactly. Why did they choose LRT all the way from Sheppard to Downtown as an option when it is not technically feasible to have an LRT through downtown unless it's buried for almost the entire length south of Eglinton?

I'd say you're fine on the surface until you get to the Danforth. There is lots of room to run an LRT from Fairview Mall down Don Mills, across Overlea, over the DVP on Millwood and down to Pape or Donlands Station (ok - the last bit would be pretty tight, but that could be cut & covered). After that agreed that the only real option is a deep bury unless you expropriate a strip of land next to the CN ROW.

But the distance from Science Centre to downtown is about the same as the burried portion of the Eglinton LRT. If Eglinton is burried for well over half its length and still uses LRT, then why not for this Don Mills line.

^Because the line is estimated to have almost 20,000 PPHPD. That's subway territory.

-Why did they only compare the Relief line stub to an extension all the way to Sheppard? In none of the compared options does it include the usual option of going north to Eglinton (e.g. the "full' DRL from the metrolinx study). This feels like a political sop to make it seem less like the DRL is a line for "downtowners" than a legitimate study on the best options for transit in the area.
It's been mentioned that the options shown have been whittled down from many more. It could be that stopping the DRL at Eglinton was looked at and extending it to Sheppard added enough value to make that the option to get shortlisted. It could also be that they looked at extending even farther and the benefits weren't worth the cost. From a network connectivity perspective, going to Sheppard makes sense because it would connect to another subway line. And the farther north you go, the more you relieve Yonge.

I'm not sure why some are skeptical of going north of Eglinton. We have four rapid transit lines going north of Eglinton already (counting Line 1 twice); having another one go that far doesn't seem farfetched.

-Why are the terms of reference so completely different than in the city's downtown rapid transit study? I don't see anything about supporting growth in shoulder areas, relieving streetcar lines, encouraging TOD, supporting network redundancy. Of course if your only criteria is "how does this relieve the yonge line" then a line running exactly parallel to the Yonge line for 90% of its length is going to score well.
I agree completely and I've long thought that focusing entirely on Yonge relief is shortsighted. And it's probably true that if Metrolinx looked at streetcar relief and network redundancy the DRL would be even more urgent. Hopefully what they're saying is true that the studies are all being coordinated so the goals between the different agencies don't keep conflicting. It seems, based on what I've seen so far, that the DRL will achieve the other goals even if Metrolinx considers them secondary.

I think that it's kind of unfair to compare between different studies with different demand models. I have some other issues with their estimate: How is it that adding the western DRL only adds 300 pphpd? Going through the densest residential part of Toronto and intercepting everyone heading downtown coming from the west end of the BD line only adds 300?
That's the thing though, it wouldn't intercept everyone heading downtown from the west end. Unlike in the east end, that can be achieved with RER in the west end. I do agree that the DRL should go west through the highly dense west end that's away from the RER tracks. That doesn't seem to get recognized when they're only looking at Yonge relief.

That's the thing though, it wouldn't intercept everyone heading downtown from the west end. Unlike in the east end, that can be achieved with RER in the west end. I do agree that the DRL should go west through the highly dense west end that's away from the RER tracks. That doesn't seem to get recognized when they're only looking at Yonge relief.
Plus the study looked at how much the DRL-West would relief Yonge-Bloor station. Answer is not much, because DRL-West would relieve St. George if anything.

Y-B is the problem when it comes to capacity concerns, and is what Metrolinx is looking at in the report. DRL-West isn't being considered atm likely because it is not a priority for relieving the Yonge line.

So, a few things about this new study, which is completely bizarre to me:

The study doesn't actually say this. It doesn't mention anywhere any number of people the DRL West would pull into downtown because it only looked at people heading in the peak direction, which is west (ie towards Dundas West) rather than looking at the number of people heading into downtown from either direction.

Basically, those additional 300 pphpd cited, are 300 more who would be heading south at Pape because of the western extension. We have no idea whatsoever from this study how many people would head south/east towards downtown from Dundas West.

To me, this omission is purposeful to make DRL Long look better than DRL U, without presenting the actual comparable of which one brings more people to downtown (rather than which brings more down from the east).

Personally, the study has made a convincing enough case for DRL Long that I am now convinced the DRL should go up to Sheppard, where I previously thought north of Eglinton was a waste. But that doesn't mean the western stretch is not necessary, and possibly more urgent than north of Pape or Eglinton (albeit for reasons other than relieving Yonge).

Personally, I think we need a DRL COMPLETE option, involving both Long and U. The phasing is the only question.

By the time the DRL eastern portion is built... the Yonge Line will need relief from all the passengers getting on north of Eglinton coming downtown.

It's possible that a Bay Street Rapid Line (western portion) commencing at Eglinton & Yonge, stopping in Lower Bay, (continuing southward on Bay to) Queen-King, and Union maybe the solution... and/or possibly becoming the western portion of the DRL.

This is why I try to get people to realize that the Prov/Metrolinx doesn't care all the much about a DRL. If they did, they would've joined the City of Toronto/TTC and adopted our Relief Line criteria. Even prior to this recent YRNS report, Metrolinx made their stance pretty clear. In my opinion, unless they and York Region 100% commit to Toronto's plans, I don't have full trust in them.

I believe their LRT idea is technically feasible south of Eglinton. Metrolinx says it will use "existing corridors". I'm almost certain they're referring to their Don Branch line when they say this. It'd also explain the low ~$200M/km costs of this LRT line. The glaring issue is obviously getting across downtown "on street in traffic". I don't think there's any way to logically do it - and if there was, it wouldn't be worth it. The only logical answer in my mind is a tunnel somewhere south of Danforth. This is why they need to adopt the City and TTC's Relief Line criteria.

And Toronto cares about the DRL? The number one project at city hall is Smart Track and not the DRL.

To me, this omission is purposeful to make DRL Long look better than DRL U, without presenting the actual comparable of which one brings more people to downtown (rather than which brings more down from the east).
I think so too. The purpose of this study was to study 'Yonge Line Relief' not to study the DRL. The Yonge Line Relief study unsurprisingly found that the DRL East/Long was the best option for relieving Yonge.

Maybe it is a mistake on our parts to be trying to make conclusions on DRL West from the study when that wasn't the purpose of the study. I guess it is up to the City of Toronto to study the benefits of the DRL West.

And Toronto cares about the DRL? The number one project at city hall is Smart Track and not the DRL.

And this is a Metrolinx study. Metrolinx can build this line without City Hall. And by the way City Hall is more than John Tory.

Back