Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

To be fair, the Don Mills subway hasn't been proposed to the people of our illustrious city. I'd expect the public to be very enthusiastic about this proposal if it were to go mainstream.

Enthusiastic until they will be asked to pay for it through taxes. And then there's the "North York already has 3 subway lines what about Scarborough" people.

I briefly looked at the report and curiously the term Smart Track wasn't used once that I could see.

They made lots references to GO RER and even enhancing it but not ST. Until they come to terms with the real issue that differentiates GO from ST, meaning the same fares as TTC, then this study is useless.

I also have to say that the policy wonks at Metrolinx are pretty damn insulting to Torontonians and Tory with this plan. Tory was not voted in on, nor doesn't have a mandate, to put money into a DRL. Besides Ford, there was only one real issue in the last campaign.............transit. Tory was very explicit with his ST program and got support from across all regions of the City so he has the mandate to spend funds on that NOT a DRL. He was also very specific that ST would be a TTC fare and GO RER has no such guarantees except vague promises about fare integration which can mean anything from complete TTC fares or a 10 cent reduction.

This study should be filed away and collect dust like all the other DRL studies. Tory has no mandate from the people to put precious transit funds into a DRL but he does have a mandate to put money into ST.

Considering how everyone bitches about politicians never keeping their promises, Tory is right to move forward with ST instead of funds for a DRL He promised ST not a DRL and for those who continually complain about lying politicians, they should support Tory to actually do what he promised.

Would you stop with all this crap about Smart track in every thread? Smart Track is not the answer to all of Toronto's problems like some of you want us to believe. If you think someone is going to get on station in Scarborough and ride all the way to Etobicoke for 3 dollars then you and Tory are even more deluded than I think.

Tory did not get support across all regions of the city. He lost to Doug Ford in many areas in Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke so where is all this he has support across all regions of the city talk.

Once Metrolinx and the City come back and see how useless the section on Eglinton really is, it will get rolled into RER and we won't hear of that useless name again.

Enthusiastic until they will be asked to pay for it through taxes. And then there's the "North York already has 3 subway lines what about Scarborough" people.

Stage a fake annexation? Scarborough can claim that it has annexed Don Mills. Bingo! Scarborough gets another subway!

First show me ALL downtown politicians getting enthusiastically behind the DRL and getting it off the ground. If that happens, any shouts from Scarborough people will sound like a whisper.

Stage a fake annexation? Scarborough can claim that it has annexed Don Mills. Bingo! Scarborough gets another subway!
Why not? After all, according to our community council boundaries, North York now stretches down to Yonge & Eglinton.

With a stroke of a pen, Don Mills can be part of Scarborough.

Small caveat about the LONG option:

Between Downtown and Danforth the line is expected to move 10,800 pphpd. The 11 km LONG option adds another 8,400 pphpd to this. So it's not as if we'll be having 19,200 pphpd moving through the Don Mills subway. The usage/km of this section isn't anything to brag about. Between Sheppard and Eglinton, it performs worse than the Scarborough Subway (in terms of pphpd moved through the section).

It's impact on Yonge ridership should still make this a great investment, however.

I'd be interested to see what effect terminating the LONG option at Eglinton would have on Yonge ridership. The DTRES estimated that the Downtown to Eglinton RL would move 12,900 pphpd. Comparing that to the expected 19,200 usage of the LONG option in the YRNS, between Don Mills and Eglinton there'd be only 6,300 pphpd. This compares poorly to Scarborough (9000 to 11000 pphpd about) and TTSSE (about 7000 pphpd).

Of course, the methodologies used in DTRES and YNRS are different, so it's dangerous to cross reference the two studies, as I've done above. In future studies we should hopefully see the estimated peak usage of each station for the LONG option.

its no different than any other line. usage is always lower towards the ends. Its not like the YUS line is operating at 100% capacity for its entire length, its only between Bloor and College stations that it is formally over capacity.

its no different than any other line. usage is always lower towards the ends. Its not like the YUS line is operating at 100% capacity for its entire length, its only between Bloor and College stations that it is formally over capacity.

Yonge Line is probably the worst example you could've used to make that argument - at Sheppard Station the line is already at 75 to 80% capacity at AM peak hour. The dropoff in ridership at the terminals isn't anywhere near as dramatic as it would be with a don mills subway.

The BD or ECLRT are better examples of what you're talking about.

Would you stop with all this crap about Smart track in every thread? Smart Track is not the answer to all of Toronto's problems like some of you want us to believe. If you think someone is going to get on station in Scarborough and ride all the way to Etobicoke for 3 dollars then you and Tory are even more deluded than I think.

You can already go Scarborough to Etobicoke for 3 dollars :)

So, a subway from King/Yonge all the way to Don Mills/Sheppard would cost about 8 billion, and would essentially solve our Yonge line problems forever. SmartTrack, which is essentially a souped-up RER that will provide little relief to the Yonge line, will also cost about 8 billion. And yet ST is the one that's happening. Sigh.

Not that I think ST is a bad thing, just that its crazypants that ST is our mayor's top priority.

permalink (stolen from /u/striketwo)

So, a subway from King/Yonge all the way to Don Mills/Sheppard would cost about 8 billion, and would essentially solve our Yonge line problems forever. SmartTrack, which is essentially a souped-up RER that will provide little relief to the Yonge line, will also cost about 8 billion. And yet ST is the one that's happening. Sigh.

Not that I think ST is a bad thing, just that its crazypants that ST is our mayor's top priority.

permalink (stolen from /u/striketwo)

This is why politicians shouldn't be involved in network design.

Back