Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

^^^ speaking of that, i've been meaning to ask, if you guys had a choice of O'Connor, Mortimer or Cosburn, where would the stop be at? Or should there be two on that section?

Cosburn has the most density. There should only be one.

If I were to add a station to the map above, I'd be tempted to add one at Bathurst. But it's OK, Spadina isn't too far.

Depends which road they go up surely. It's a different answer for Pape, Donlands, and Coxwell.

Cosburn has the most density. There should only be one.

If I were to add a station to the map above, I'd be tempted to add one at Bathurst. But it's OK, Spadina isn't too far.

Give me the options for all three main roads.

Give me the options for all three main roads.
At Coxwell, clearly at Mortimer, with Toronto East hospital there.

With Pape, you've got all this density around Cosburn .. so if you put one entrance at Cosburn, and the other end of the platform with an exit to Torrens, your close enough to O'Connor.

Probably the same for Donlands as well, though with less density everywhere, I'd be tempted to put one extrance south of Cosburn, and the second as far to the south as feasible, between Memorial Park and Mortimer. Donlands is probably the one that isn't a no-brainer.

Thats why I like this map of the DRL the best:

View attachment 29468

Because it is about linking together what will be all of the GO-REX lines and other forms of transit.

Its purpose is to create linkages between the various networks.

This map illustrates my point about station spacing. The Bloor line has 15 stations between Pape and Dundas West. The DRL has 9 despite the fact that it has as much, if not more density. A few more stations would allow the subway to replace the central portion of the King (or Queen) streetcar altogether, as subways did on Yonge and Bloor. In the case of the King car, it could replace the whole line, except for maybe the part on Broadview. And it would still relieve Yonge-Bloor just as effectively.

Last edited:
At Coxwell, clearly at Mortimer, with Toronto East hospital there.

With Pape, you've got all this density around Cosburn .. so if you put one entrance at Cosburn, and the other end of the platform with an exit to Torrens, your close enough to O'Connor.

Probably the same for Donlands as well, though with less density everywhere, I'd be tempted to put one extrance south of Cosburn, and the second as far to the south as feasible, between Memorial Park and Mortimer. Donlands is probably the one that isn't a no-brainer.

I like the Donlands route, because of the I feel pape is too close. Coxwell intrigues me. I think it it would a straight line and would spread demand.

Last edited:

I agree with this map from Roncesvalles to Eginton at Don Mills. I just have never been convinced that a subway needs to get to Dundas West. The Roncesvalles streetcar doesn't seem that busy, High Park isn't a huge trip generator, and the areas east of the park have good access to downtown. I see High Park and Humber Bay as the eventual bottle neck to east-west movement that needs relief (southern Etobicoke is relatively underdeveloped currently for an area so close to downtown) so I think that before heading north a subway should at least reach Humber Loop to capture all the east-west traffic south of Bloor. Currently many head north on various bus routes to Bloor subway to get past the park, and then come south again. The Queen car and route 80 are the only local services south of Bloor. Also, running a subway along a rail corridor for an extended distance doesn't make sense when you can run GO REX EMUs in the rail corridor at high frequency and achieve the same benefit and simplify operations in the rail corridor by having compatible rolling stock.

Imagine REX stops at Union, Dufferin, Eglinton,and Calendonia (as shown in the map) plus Earlscort which has been seen in plans, plus Weston which is off the map.... what new area does a subway up the rail corridor serve? Stated a different way if you are standing at the platform at Mt.Dennis and the subway pulls in and the REX pulls in, besides the subway going slower there are only 3 or 4 stations of difference. If we are going to build subway it should be relieving services that are at capacity (I don't see the Georgetown corridor's 4 railway tracks as being anywhere near capacity) and opening up new and faster routes to currently under-serviced or congested areas. I would propose having the DRL's west side continue to Royal York and Queensway, then take the most direct diagonal line to the airport terminal crossing under the runway. From a connectivity perspective it adds GO Kipling & Bloor Line, Renforth BRT, and the airport, it provides a completely new transportation corridor servicing the whole southern part of Etobicoke (improved connection to Lakeshore West LRT, Queensway, Six Points redevelopment, East Mall / West Mall developments, and the Airport Corporate Centre's large job base.

With a Pape alignment, a Mortimer station would be too close to Pape station, and I don't think they would bother to create all 3 stations for Mortimer, Cosbourn, and O'Connor, simply because they have intersecting bus routes. One or two of those routes would have to have redirecting branches where some branches go to the stations, and other routes go through and bypass a Pape subway route.

A would be cosburn station would likely be very, very deep so that the subway tunnels can duck under the Don Valley.
Which is why I like the Coxwell Alignment. That would bring costs down and make the DRL a straight line.

With a Pape alignment, a Mortimer station would be too close to Pape station, and I don't think they would bother to create all 3 stations for Mortimer, Cosbourn, and O'Connor, simply because they have intersecting bus routes. One or two of those routes would have to have redirecting branches where some branches go to the stations, and other routes go through and bypass a Pape subway route.
Agreed, but still like nftiz said a cosburn station would have to be huge to compensate for that.

Back