Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Metrolinx did a study on the SRT corridor for scarborough, and that is where Murray got it. Its more than possible to do, just not ideal as the cities alignment is much more preferred. His challenge was finding a way to bring the subway to STC for $1.8 billion as they weren't sure if they would be able to get additional money.

A York Mills East station would be just for the bus route there since it's not developable. Probably would be busier than Old Mill station though.

I actually like diminutive's rail plan better then any subway, but with the foresight this region lacks, the subway may be the best option.

diminutive4mayor :p

Sj1sbuW.png

Hudak should know, he will start construction within 100 days of being elected.
Why are you saying this? Check what he said. He'd start an engineering study with 100 days of being elected.

[video=youtube;11pQRPoqXqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11pQRPoqXqY[/video]
At 4 minutes 40 seconds

Oh joy ... a study ...

Last edited:
Why are you saying this? Check what he said. He'd start an engineering study with 100 days of being elected.

Oh joy ... a study ...

Right, so he promises to follow through on the current plan Metrolinx and TTC have in place to perform a joint study. This is good but also the "no change" option.

Last edited:
Right, so he promises to follow through on the current plan Metrolinx and TTC have in place to perform a joint study. This is good but also the "no change" option.
Really, it would require 2-3 years of studies, borings, detailed design, and tendering. This dovetails in not building any of this stuff until the budget is balanced. Which is also why Eglinton won't be going ahead for some time.

Really, it would require 2-3 years of studies, borings, detailed design, and tendering. This dovetails in not building any of this stuff until the budget is balanced. Which is also why Eglinton won't be going ahead for some time.

Quick 6 month study and completed by Feb 2015. Start digging 3 launch shaft by June 2015 to start tunneling in 2016.

In the mean time, look for 3/4 TBM to do a single bore in place of the current 2 bore around the world to be on hand for the start in Jan 2016. TBM 1 will be remove from launch shaft 2 once it reach it and be move to launch shaft 4. The other TBM's will be doing the same thing as more launch shaft are built. This will cut tunneling time in almost haft.

Depending on the length of each bore as well where it is, we can see the first phase from downtown to Danforth up and running by 2021/23, Eglinton by 2025, Sheppard by 2027, Finch by 2029 and Steeles by 2031.

Need to do a few sole source contracts for liners and various items with some contracts for the main work as well.

Oh!! I am dreaming in some fool mind where we will not see anything done until the next election. Wake me up when the next election rolls around as I will haven't miss much other than not having to see this joker make a mess in real time.

In the mean time, look for 3/4 TBM to do a single bore in place of the current 2 bore around the world to be on hand for the start in Jan 2016

Aren't all of the TBMs custom made? I don't think that it would be likely that we'd find an unused TBM that would meet are specific needs.

Depending on the length of each bore as well where it is, we can see the first phase from downtown to Danforth up and running by 2021/23, Eglinton by 2025, Sheppard by 2027, Finch by 2029 and Steeles by 2031.

Nothing on the west side to Bloor? And previous ML documents have indicated that a 2024 opening date is possible for the RL. I don't know if that possible timetable has changed. I know that no final date has been set.

Last edited:
Quick 6 month study and completed by Feb 2015. Start digging 3 launch shaft by June 2015 to start tunneling in 2016.

In the mean time, look for 3/4 TBM to do a single bore in place of the current 2 bore around the world to be on hand for the start in Jan 2016. TBM 1 will be remove from launch shaft 2 once it reach it and be move to launch shaft 4. The other TBM's will be doing the same thing as more launch shaft are built. This will cut tunneling time in almost haft.

Need to do a few sole source contracts for liners and various items with some contracts for the main work as well.

Oh!! I am dreaming in some fool mind where we will not see anything done until the next election. Wake me up when the next election rolls around as I will haven't miss much other than not having to see this joker make a mess in real time.

It's sad isn't it? We could have had all this done years ago! Now we might never see it at all?

Aren't all of the TBMs custom made? I don't think that it would be likely that we'd find an unused TBM that would meet are specific needs.

Nothing on the west side to Bloor? And previous ML documents have indicated that a 2024 opening date is possible for the RL. I don't know if that possible timetable has changed. I know that no final date has been set.

"Eglinton" means both don mills and weston... Drum has access to many things we don't

I think a "quick 6 month study" is very, very optimistic. The DRL will be a technical nightmare in the core. It will take them a couple of years just to locate and move all the existing underground infrastructure out of the way. It will take them at least as long to acquire or expropriate all the land they need. Remember that modern underground systems have significantly higher safety standards than underground systems built even twenty years ago vis–à–vis ventilation shafts. Look at the vent structures they are building for the Eglinton Crosstown. Look at the new vent structure the TTC is currently building at Lawrence Station. Look at the vent structures they are building for the 2nd Avenue subway in NYC. They are massive. Any new subway through downtown Toronto will have a significant footprint on the surface and subsurface. There will be legal battles and community uproar to deal with before the final route can be chosen.

On top of that the actual impact of constructing a new subway through the core will make the ECLRT construction look like a cakewalk. Many major intersections will be affected for extended periods of time. That is going to require planning and designing substantial detours, which may require road upgrades beyond those roads directly affected by the subway construction. In addition, trying to tunnel between existing underground parking structures and building foundations, and through old tiebacks and other buried remnants of Toronto past, will really slow down the tunneling.

My guess would be if they committed 100% to the DRL this fall the actual tunnel/station construction in the core wouldn't start until 2018 at the very earliest, and completion would be in 2025 or thereabouts.

Last edited:
I really thought you knew more about this stuff. If it was as simple as just extending a subway down Sheppard, maybe. But we don't even know WHERE the thing is going. And then you have to figure out HOW, which is going to be difficult downtown.

There's a lot of work required to even start designing the launch shafts - let alone digging them. Besides, how do you meet their promise not to start building subways until the budget is balanced?

Back