Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Why not both Eglinton West and DRL-Dixon in the long-term?

Have Eglinton West terminate twice at Renforth and the Airport with the Airport portion meeting up with the DRL Terminus at the Airport for a hub of sorts. The Renforth terminus will connect to the Mississauga Transitway and the Renforth employment lands. In the future, Eglinton West can be expanded all the way to Hurontario and connect with the Hurontario line.

Eglinton West will (hopefully) happen first and I don't see what other logical route for the DRL-West to take post-Eglinton.

Why not both Eglinton West and DRL-Dixon in the long-term?

Have Eglinton West terminate twice at Renforth and the Airport with the Airport portion meeting up with the DRL Terminus at the Airport for a hub of sorts. The Renforth terminus will connect to the Mississauga Transitway and the Renforth employment lands. In the future, Eglinton West can be expanded all the way to Hurontario and connect with the Hurontario line.

Eglinton West will (hopefully) happen first and I don't see what other logical route for the DRL-West to take post-Eglinton.

I agree 100 percent Wisla. Lack of foresight is killing us.

Because the DRL really doesn't make any sense north of Bloor? Its ridership plummets to Sheppard subway levels north of that.

DRTES. PPHD north of Bloor on the eastern side was below 3,000. Compare to around 15,000 at the busiest point south of Bloor.

Reading this forum, there are concerns about Eglinton West having low ridership, which is why it was not built. How about this: extending the DRL along Dixon Road to Pearson

Dixon Road is a much denser corridor then Eglinton West and this subway would serve much more people and help revitalize a poorer area of the outer 416. Thoughts?

The apartment clusters in between Scarlett and Royal York and again between Kipling and Martin Grove along Eglinton beg to differ. Not to mention the further high-density units already planned for the Richview corridor.

A good routing for the Eglinton Crosstown would be to follow Eglinton as far as Widdicombe Hill Blvd then veer north with a stop at the Westway and Martin Grove (another higher density intersection) thereafter following Dixon Road into the airport.

The DRL ought to remain a north-south service in the Georgetown corridor probably going as far north as Weston Rd and Wilson/Walsh/Albion.

You're going to have to point this out to me, because, I don't see it.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-55942.pdf

This guy:

http://www.ttc.ca/PDF/About_the_TTC/DRTES_Final_Report_-_September_2012.pdf

page 80, while it doesn't specify ridership for the northern portion specifically, ridership on the southern portion of the line jumps only 1,200 PPHD from it being constructed. (compared to the base case of the line ending at Bloor) 11,700 vs. 12,900 PPHD. Even if over half of the ridership of it was transferring at Bloor (it won't be), you would be looking at around 4,000 PPHD. Compare to the DRL with the Western portion built, which sees 12,900 on the western portion and 13,600 on the eastern portion. In Fact, the northern Portion has only 5,000 total peak hour boardings, which are bi-directional. (people travelling north and south) The Spadina South station on the Western extension surpasses this alone.

Last edited:
This guy:

page 80, while it doesn't specify ridership for the northern portion specifically, ridership on the southern portion of the line jumps only 1,200 PPHD from it being constructed. (compared to the base case of the line ending at Bloor) 11,700 vs. 12,900 PPHD. Even if over half of the ridership of it was transferring at Bloor (it won't be), you would be looking at around 3,000 PPHD. Compare to the DRL with the Western portion built, which sees 12,900 on the western portion and 13,600 on the eastern portion.
However, we discussed earlier in this thread when this report came out, that the study was fatally flawed. If you look carefully, you'll see that network on page 80 includes an Eglinton/GO connection just east of the DVP, and a DRL/GO connection at River and Queen. They've siphoned off all the trips from Eglinton to downtown on a GO line that's just about impossible.

The projected levels of load on the Richmond Hill GO lines are very, very low. Almost no ECLRT passengers would be transferring. Inbound demand from Richmond hill would be at 2,300 PPHD. Even if 100% of that were to become TTC DRL ridership it still wouldn't be justifiable.

This guy:

page 80, while it doesn't specify ridership for the northern portion specifically, ridership on the southern portion of the line jumps only 1,200 PPHD from it being constructed. (compared to the base case of the line ending at Bloor) 11,700 vs. 12,900 PPHD. Even if over half of the ridership of it was transferring at Bloor (it won't be), you would be looking at around 4,000 PPHD. Compare to the DRL with the Western portion built, which sees 12,900 on the western portion and 13,600 on the eastern portion. In Fact, the northern Portion has only 5,000 total peak hour boardings, which are bi-directional. (people travelling north and south) The Spadina South station on the Western extension surpasses this alone.

Honestly, thank you. I didn't see it before.

However, we discussed earlier in this thread when this report came out, that the study was fatally flawed. If you look carefully, you'll see that network on page 80 includes an Eglinton/GO connection just east of the DVP, and a DRL/GO connection at River and Queen. They've siphoned off all the trips from Eglinton to downtown on a GO line that's just about impossible.

But still, you don't think after Dundas and Bloor the majority of people will have gotten off?? If I wanted to go to Keele and Eglinton, I would get on the YUS and just go to the Crosstown.

Last edited:
The apartment clusters in between Scarlett and Royal York and again between Kipling and Martin Grove along Eglinton beg to differ. Not to mention the further high-density units already planned for the Richview corridor.

A good routing for the Eglinton Crosstown would be to follow Eglinton as far as Widdicombe Hill Blvd then veer north with a stop at the Westway and Martin Grove (another higher density intersection) thereafter following Dixon Road into the airport.

The DRL ought to remain a north-south service in the Georgetown corridor probably going as far north as Weston Rd and Wilson/Walsh/Albion.
Good points, I didn't think about it like that. Dixon has always looked denser to me, but that's the eye test. Eglinton has always made more sense because it's continuous.

The projected levels of load on the Richmond Hill GO lines are very, very low. Almost no ECLRT passengers would be transferring. Inbound demand from Richmond hill would be at 2,300 PPHD. Even if 100% of that were to become TTC DRL ridership it still wouldn't be justifiable.
Hmm ... maybe. There's still some screwy stuff in those numbers though. They extend it from Bloor to Eglinton, and ridership goes down?? Explain how that works! Something is wrong somewhere.

ridership jumps 1,200 PPHD... where are you getting lower ridership numbers from? The DRL really only makes sense south of Bloor, period. There are very few viable subway corridors in this city in general, if you are using the 10,000 PPHD cut off that is generally considered the standard.

Back