Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

While the East is the obvious priority, getting the western portion built is fairly pressing as well. It wouldn't be as well used as the eastern portion, but It would still be fairly busy.

I think it's imperative that the DRL includes an immediate western branch as well. The streetcars are a complete mess and development is choking the local roads.

How about we focus on the need for higher order transit in the western end instead of thinking about how to best further placate those from the east/north.

I agree with you that E-W travel in downtown would be an very important & close 2nd goal of the DRL, and I hope the western section is completed as well. However the 1st goal has been stated to be relief for Yonge/Bloor station.

The reason the East is prioritized first is because if you're coming from the West, you can transfer at St George, you don't need to use Yonge-Bloor station at all. Similarly, if you're coming from West north of Bloor (say from the Eg West bus), you can use the Spadina/University branch of the line rather than Yonge (which is at-capacity).

I would be OK with the western section being phase 2 (hopefully implemented very soon after phase 1).

In a perfect world, DRL would start from Pape Station, head down south to Queen and head west along Queen Station. A second phase would expand the line to Osgoode Station, and would continue down Queen Street to Parkdale, where the line would take north up to Dundas West.

A subway along Queen would replace the streetcars and spur more development along Queen down to Dufferin Street. Plus Queen is a good happy medium between the streetcar lines on King and College and would compliment them as East/West lines quite nicely. On another note, having hubs at Pape/Danforth and Bloor/Dundas would revitalize and densify both of these areas that need some help. To make this even feasible, I assume it would be years of the cut/cover method along Queen, but one can dream.

In a perfect world, DRL would start from Pape Station, head down south to Queen and head west along Queen Station. A second phase would expand the line to Osgoode Station, and would continue down Queen Street to Parkdale, where the line would take north up to Dundas West.

A subway along Queen would replace the streetcars and spur more development along Queen down to Dufferin Street. Plus Queen is a good happy medium between the streetcar lines on King and College and would compliment them as East/West lines quite nicely. On another note, having hubs at Pape/Danforth and Bloor/Dundas would revitalize and densify both of these areas that need some help. To make this even feasible, I assume it would be years of the cut/cover method along Queen, but one can dream.

I thought most people agreed that Wellington is best route, and that it should go to Spadina at least in the 1st phase. If you wanted it further north I'd think Adelaide or Richmond would be preferred.

I can't even imagine the 10 year nightmare subway construction on Queen would cause for the massive amounts of people who currently rely on the streetcars.

While the East is the obvious priority, getting the western portion built is fairly pressing as well. It wouldn't be as well used as the eastern portion, but It would still be fairly busy.

I have never understood this....care to give me the coles notes on why the east is the priority and why it is so obvious?

Queen is too far north, it misses too much of the core and queen has strict development restrictions on it, at least in the west.

I have never understood this....care to give me the coles notes on why the east is the priority and why it is so obvious?

Because the Yonge line and Yonge/Bloor station is at capacity, which is why "relief" is needed. On the west there is the University/Spadina line.

For example, if you lived at Bathurst & Bloor and worked at King & Bay, you could get onto the Bloor line, transfer south at St George, get off at St Andrew and walk to bay, bypassing Yonge completely.

Because the Yonge line and Yonge/Bloor station is at capacity, which is why "relief" is needed. On the west there is the University/Spadina line.

For example, if you lived at Bathurst & Bloor and worked at King & Bay, you could get onto the Bloor line, transfer south at St George, get off at St Andrew and walk to bay, bypassing Yonge completely.

Ok I see that....but if you worked at King and Bay and lived at Broadview and Danforth you could transfer south at St George, get off at St Andrew and walk to bay

How about we focus on the need for higher order transit in the western end instead of thinking about how to best further placate those from the east/north.
They haven't been placated yet PERIOD. That's why. The west already has a "relief" of sorts in the University-Spadina line. I'm not saying there's not a case for a western branch, but if the number one issue here is to relieve Yonge, than a western branch does little to help the situation.

I'm not sure how that's a perfect world when you build a subway along a street with fairly stable neighbourhoods instead of hitting where all the development is happening (i.e., Distillery/Corktown, St. Lawrence, Financial District/SouthCore, CityPlace, Liberty Village, etc.) and where people actually want to go (into the Financial District/MTCC/Waterfront/RogersCentre).

A Queen alignment wouldn't be a disaster, but a real missed opportunity and not relieve Yonge south of Queen either as many would still need to transfer onto the subway to get to their offices, etc.

Last edited:
Ok I see that....but if you worked at King and Bay and lived at Broadview and Danforth you could transfer south at St George, get off at St Andrew and walk to bay

Yeah and I'm sure a growing amount of people will do that if Yonge gets worse, making University & St George worse as well (but still probably not as bad as Yonge). If enough people stay on no one will be able to transfer west at Bloor-Yonge either. In addition to that, Yonge line ridership is growing significantly, partly due to all the development in NYCC and Yonge & Eg, and will probably be even more crowded if it's extended north.

The fact is we will need more subway capacity through the core for many reasons.

Anyways, the original question you asked why East is a priority over West, and the answer to me is that:
-Yonge at capacity, not University-Spadina (or at least it is MORE over-capacity than US)
-Bloor-Yonge is where the most urgent problem is in terms of being over-capacity and people not being able to squeeze onto trains

I also suspect we are underestimating ridership of the Crosstown. I wouldn't be surprised if that alongside with the massive development occurring at Yonge+Eg, we will see Yonge+Eglinton station near capacity.

Extending the DRL north to Don Mills an Eglinton would relieve that portion of the Yonge line as well.

I also suspect we are underestimating ridership of the Crosstown. I wouldn't be surprised if that alongside with the massive development occurring at Yonge+Eg, we will see Yonge+Eglinton station near capacity.

Any unexpected increase in Crosstown ridership is coming from buses that previously delivered people to the Bloor/Danforth line. The impact to Yonge south of Bloor for this miscalculation should be minimal. Platform space will be limiting and a very expensive expansion if necessary but there is no advantage to worrying about it until it is actually a problem.

Is Eglinton Double or single platformed? I can't remember, but I'm guessing single because it used to be a terminus station.

It probably won't get any busier than St. George and St. George has a single platform on the YUS line.

Is Eglinton Double or single platformed? I can't remember, but I'm guessing single because it used to be a terminus station.

It probably won't get any busier than St. George and St. George has a single platform on the YUS line.

Eglinton is single platformed.

However the station is being rebuilt several dozen meters north as part of the construction of the Crosstown I believe.

Back