Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

The Ontario Line process confuses me. Why do we still not know the rolling stock? We knew the rolling stock for Eglinton and Finch LRTs years before construction started. There are people on the internet that will wax poetic about the amazing capacity of Ontario Line rolling stock, but we don't know what it is. Why is everything a secret?
simple answer: the crosstown trains were developed for the "transit city plan" as in every line with 300 vehicles was going to use those trains. as you know how much the xtown plans have changed, thats basically why we knew ahead of time
As for the ontario line, this is normal. we know the bidders, theres 3 i think and we know what train types MX wants. (catenary light metro) its going to be up to the bidders to decide which trainset to use
believe its between hitachi, siemens, and alstom/deuche bahn should be announced by end of year

basically the xtown trains were decided before the bid even went out

IIRC, the response Steve Munro got as to why Cherry St station cannot happen is that the incline at that section of the Ontario Line is too steep to be able to include a station. Do with that what you will.

Yes I believe that's the reasoning that was given-- I'm no engineer but it feels like we should be able to figure that out. Like.. c'mon!

IIRC, the response Steve Munro got as to why Cherry St station cannot happen is that the incline at that section of the Ontario Line is too steep to be able to include a station. Do with that what you will.
Goes to show you how back of a napkin proposals from youtube/twitter transit fans should be taken with a grain of salt, since they are usually ignorant of the unsexy engineering realities of these projects. I wouldn't be surprised if Mx even explored a Cherry Street TOC but did some rail operational modelling that told them the vehicles wouldn't be able to handle the grades required to surface before/after Cherry Street. A lot of hard work goes on behind closed doors and I find that the social media discourse around Toronto transit usually consists of preaching ideas that seem good on the surface but Mx probably already looked into and determined wouldn't be possible (due to 'boring' things like utilities, operational impacts, cost, and yes, politics)

I could be wrong - I don't think the new Exhibition station plan has been posted here yet:

From the Planning Rationale/Architectural Plans:

1645112023211.png

1645112050368.png

1645112086461.png

1645112232903.png

1645112264043.png

1645112275418.png

1645112363361.png

1645112384814.png

(IO/Metrolinx/SvN)

AoD

Attachments

• 1645112318638.png
    1645112318638.png
    470.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 1645112333624.png
    1645112333624.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Exhibition and East Harbour GO stations look like they are both going for large new "grand" station designs - very much welcome and lacking in Toronto, and even Canada. looking forward to them.

Important to note that this is only for OL - we don't really know if the design for the Exhibition station is notional or actual.

AoD

Important to note that this is only for OL - we don't really know if the design for the Exhibition station is notional or actual.

AoD
while we dont have as detailed design for the station we do have this which does in fact show an above ground concourse as well as what seems to be an entrance across the new east liberty street
While its not as detailed, it ,might look something similar

1645116680849.png

while we dont have as detailed design for the station we do have this which does in fact show an above ground concourse as well as what seems to be an entrance across the new east liberty street
While its not as detailed, it ,might look something similar

View attachment 380707

Yes I have noticed all that - what is unclear is whether it will be built as is - with all the flourishes. It being grand is sort of dependent on that.

AoD

Other sections...
A new street along the southern boundary of Liberty Street is proposed, named “Liberty New Street”. The new street will have a two-lane cross-section and will extend between Dufferin Street and Strachan Avenue, immediately north of the railway corridor, intersecting with Mowat Avenue, Fraser Avenue, Jefferson Avenue, Atlantic Avenue, Hanna Avenue, and Pirandello Street. Sidewalks will be provided along the north side of Liberty New Street, and a multi-use path will be provided along the south side to accommodate pedestrians and cyclists. Since the control type at each intersection was not specified in the EA, the intersection control measures recommended in the Ontario Line Exhibition Station Site Plan Review Transportation Impact Assessment (Ontario Line Technical Advisor, May 2021) were carried forward, with the intersection of Jefferson Avenue and Liberty New Street being all-way stop-controlled, Atlantic Avenue and Liberty New Street being signalized, Dufferin Street and Liberty New Street being signalized, and Strachan Avenue and Liberty New Street being a right-in/right-out configuration.
Ontario Line:

Exhibition Station will be a terminal station for the proposed Ontario Line subway, which will operate at 90-second headways, connecting Liberty Village and Exhibition Place with the neighbourhoods along the Ontario Line alignment to the east. Exhibition Station will also provide convenient access to the Lakeshore West GO rail and TTC streetcar services nearby.
Lakeshore West GO Train:

GO train frequencies are expected to increase over time following electrification of the corridor, resulting in 15-minute peak service, and 30-minute off peak services in both directions. New eastbound and westbound express GO platforms will be added to Exhibition Station, to be located in the middle of the station just north of the eastbound local GO platform at the southern end.
Streetcar Extension:

The TTC has plans to extend the existing streetcar services from the Exhibition Loop to the Dufferin Gates Loop as part of the Waterfront LRT, providing enhanced streetcar connections within the network west of Exhibition Place.

Changes resulting from the extension project will include:
  • New westbound streetcar platform at Manitoba Drive / Nova Scotia Avenue;
  • Possible grade-separated north-south crossings for pedestrians at Manitoba Drive / Nova Scotia Avenue to be used during special event peak hours;
  • New streetcar stop at Centennial Park (Dufferin Gates) for both directions, located north of Centennial Park east of Dufferin Street. The west side of the intersection to be protected for a future westerly extension; and
  • Signalization of Dufferin Street at the Dufferin Loop.
Bus Transit Services:

Bus bays will be located on Liberty New Street
to accommodate redirection of bus routes through Liberty Village. The westbound bus bay will be located between Jefferson Avenue and Atlantic Avenue, and the eastbound bus bay will be located just east of Atlantic Avenue (based on current assumptions and subject to change based on City of Toronto and TTC future plans). The new bus bays will accommodate Route 29A (Dufferin) with a 3.3-minute headway, 63 (Ossington) with a 3.5-minute headway, and 929 (Dufferin Express).

Lakeshore West GO Train:

GO train frequencies are expected to increase over time following electrification of the corridor, resulting in 15-minute peak service, and 30-minute off peak services in both directions. New eastbound and westbound express GO platforms will be added to Exhibition Station, to be located in the middle of the station just north of the eastbound local GO platform at the southern end.
I'm sorry what? 30 minute frequencies?

Back