Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I'm thinking of an earlier concept meant to alleviate crowding at Union Station. It may not have been called 'Union Station West'.
You must be thinking about the Spadina-Front GO Station (which Metrolinx was musing about different locations prior to finalizing that station, in an effort to relieve Union Station).

Metrolinx has pretty much (to my knowledge) abandonned that concept, and they broke it up into a whole bunch of different works which include: potential double birthing/platform expansion at Union station. The concept of placing new GO platforms underneath the current Union station, and replacing the North Bathurst Yard with a new large station (ie: what you're referring to Union West or whatever Metrolinx called it) are pretty much dead.

I think the Ontario Line should try to find a good midpoint between the Kitchener Line and the Hurontario LRT to create a new north-south path that doesn't compete or overlap with others.

View attachment 347776View attachment 347777
with DUNDAS BRT, the new MiWay station and all of the develoment from Shorncliff to Six points terminating at Kipling is a no brainer.
Also isnt the TTC taking over the rail yard just south of Kipling?

with DUNDAS BRT, the new MiWay station and all of the develoment from Shorncliff to Six points terminating at Kipling is a no brainer.
That's not really servicing new corridors; I, for one, am a proponent of extending this down Jane, which we know needs a transit line. It would be high-capacity, provide a direct route into downtown (avoiding another west-side OL-required situation) and would be less expensive than a full subway and faster than an LRT.

If South Etobicoke needs another transit line, I would have Waterfront West LRT connect to Roncesvalles & Queen, or run down Lake Shore Blvd, then have the 510 (but not the 511) travel to Long Branch. Build a Queensway LRT and route the 501 down it. I think this is a more intuitive approach; Queen remains E-W the whole time, while the 509 stays along the waterfront. I'm sure the TTC, if it comes to this, will have better O-D analysis than I do.
Also isn't the TTC taking over the rail yard just south of Kipling?
I thought they were, too.

Last edited:
Last night at the online open house it was explained that many different options for traveling "the last mile" (Exhibition Station to Ontario Place) are you being considered, including gondolas & transportation on a guideway.
The province should come up with some new proprietary experiment system (just like ICTS) so we can see how that goes, and start regretting it immediately after.

Actually in fact, that sounds exactly where they are going with this.

The province should come up with some new proprietary experiment system (just like ICTS) so we can see how that goes, and start regretting it immediately after.

I thought the OL is using the same technology other nations are using?

That's not really servicing new corridors; I, for one, am a proponent of extending this down Jane, which we know needs a transit line. It would be high-capacity, provide a direct route into downtown (avoiding another west-side OL-required situation) and would be less expensive than a full subway and faster than an LRT.
The need on Jane is local so a streetcar like service seems more practical. On Jane you would already have a reasonable walk to OL/WWLRT at Queensway, Jane Station at Bloor, hopefully a St.Clair streetcar extension, the Eglinton West extension's Jane station, a reasonable distance to Weston GO, Sheppard West extension's Jane station, Jane stop on Finch West LRT, a short distance to Pioneer Village, Highway 407 Station, and Vaughan Centre.

With the new Smarttrack station at St.Clair and a streetcar extension the station could be a 6min ride away. With the Eglinton West LRT the station at Mount Dennis would be a single stop away. Weston GO is a 3min bus ride from Jane and Lawrence (2nd stop). Who knows where and when the Sheppard West extension will happen but clearly it would have a stop at Jane of it extends that far and it would likely only be 2-3 stops to line 1 (currently 6min on the Sheppard West bus from Sheppard and Lawrence to Downsview station), and clearly Line 1 is on Jane from Steeles northward. So there is overlap for non-local subway or urban rail service especially Eglinton to Lawrence and Steeles to Seven. But a Jane LRT which serves a much tighter stop spacing would work.

The need on Jane is local so a streetcar like service seems more practical. On Jane you would already have a reasonable walk to OL/WWLRT at Queensway, Jane Station at Bloor, hopefully a St.Clair streetcar extension, the Eglinton West extension's Jane station, a reasonable distance to Weston GO, Sheppard West extension's Jane station, Jane stop on Finch West LRT, a short distance to Pioneer Village, Highway 407 Station, and Vaughan Centre.
Fair enough.
With the new Smarttrack station at St.Clair and a streetcar extension the station could be a 6min ride away. With the Eglinton West LRT the station at Mount Dennis would be a single stop away. Weston GO is a 3min bus ride from Jane and Lawrence (2nd stop). Who knows where and when the Sheppard West extension will happen but clearly it would have a stop at Jane of it extends that far and it would likely only be 2-3 stops to line 1 (currently 6min on the Sheppard West bus from Sheppard and Lawrence to Downsview station), and clearly Line 1 is on Jane from Steeles northward. So there is overlap for non-local subway or urban rail service especially Eglinton to Lawrence and Steeles to Seven. But a Jane LRT which serves a much tighter stop spacing would work.
A lot of the E-W services you mentioned are also local.

Not sure of the demand patterns as I haven't used Jane very much (lived in either Mississauga, North York, or downtown.)

However, the N-S bus routes are fairly busy (Jane, Keele, Kipling, Islington) and I think that there probably is enough demand for a N-S rapid transit line there. Others may be more qualified to talk about this.

I still oppose a Queensway extension; I still think a streetcar extension is enough for South Etobicoke (which already had s subway and streetcar line).

Yes, Ontario has a sorry reputation for trying to invent unique "Made in Ontario" solutions to things that have been solved and tested elsewhere. Another current example of this is our Vaccine Passport. Sad.

When Line 5 opens, allegedly in 2022, they plan to extend the 158 TRETHEWAY bus from Jane & Lawrence westward past the Weston GO/UPX station at Weston & Lawrence, and then north on Weston to Knob Hill. If they ever improve the fare connection between the TTC and GO/UPX, passengers will be able to transfer from the local buses to the "EXPRESS" train to downtown.

2022_32_158_170_map.jpg
From link.

Does anyone know O'Toole's position on transit expansion in Toronto?
I'm a legit non-partisan who hasn't made a decision on the upcoming election - but I'm definitely curious if anyone has seen him comment on or address all the money coming to Toronto for transit.

Ty if you know.

He says he’ll complete the priority projects in the GTA. When asked why the party platform doesn’t contain any funding around that, he responded that all of this would come from ‘existing funding’.

Separately, the Conservative platform barely mentions transit. It does spend a whole lotta time talking about EVs.

Some tweets (some partisan, some not):

Last edited:

Back