Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

A condo grows in Regent Park
Downtown units at 'fairly good value' trumping worries over area's stigma
Donovan Vincent
CITY HALL BUREAU

2e52d9ea4fe59368be58a7136164.jpeg

STEVE RUSSELL/TORONTO STAR
Despite Regent Park's rough reputation, buyers are lining up to buy into new digs. Bruce Weese is among a select group of buyers allowed first crack at a condo unit at One Cole. He is optimistic the $1 billion redevelopment of Regent Park will make the area safer.

Sunita Samlal's daughter is so excited about moving into a new home in Regent Park, she sleeps with the condo brochure under her pillow.

For 12 years, Sunita, husband Shawn and their two children have occupied a cramped one-bedroom apartment in a St. James Town highrise – the children sleeping in the bedroom, mom and dad on the pullout couch in the living room.

Eager for a larger unit, the family at one point joined the city's controversial waiting list for subsidized housing, but gave up, frustrated after waiting seven years.

Though currently paying market rent, Sunita, 35, and Shawn, 32, found ways to scrimp and save, pulling together enough cash for the down payment on a two-bedroom, $343,000 unit at One Cole, the first ever condo building at Regent Park. If all goes as planned, they'll move in late this fall.

The One Cole condos don't officially go on sale until June 13, but Sunita's family is among a select group of 200 "inner circle" purchasers who paid the developer about $250 to get first crack at one. They'll be lining up Tuesday at the sales office on Dundas St. E.

Like the other "inner circle'' members, Sunita and Shawn will be taking the plunge as homeowners in Regent Park, a troubled community undergoing a $1 billion revitalization that promises to transform the area from 100 per cent public housing to a mixture of condos, townhouses, public housing and market rentals. These buyers have heard about the area's troubles with drugs and shootings, but that doesn't seem to be putting a damper on demand for the new condos.

Location is a powerful draw for potential owners considering a move to Regent Park, strong enough for many that it trumps concerns about the area's reputation, says professor David Hulchanski, a housing expert at the University of Toronto.

"Location is so important that these condos will sell well, I'm predicting ... the so-called stigma (of Regent Park) won't be a factor," Hulchanski says.

"If you want to live near downtown, and many people do, and if you want to get what I assume will be fairly good value for your money, this is that neighbourhood."

The promised amenities at One Cole Рwhich combines a nine-storey and a 19-storey building Рinclude a grocery store, Tim Hortons and a bank on the bottom floor; a fitness centre; caf̩ bar and 24-hour concierge. Built to better environmental standards, it's LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) gold-certified, with a rooftop park and two "living walls" Рplanted walls that help filter dust and pollutants out of the air.

Real estate brokers have already started lining up chairs outside the condo building, staking out a spot for when the units go on sale to the general public in June.

Shawn is confident the redevelopment underway is eroding the crime problems because roads that cut off Regent Park from the surrounding community are being opened up. Hidden corridors considered breeding grounds for crime are disappearing, and amenities such as banks, grocery stores, new green spaces and recreational facilities – a big new pool, for example – are all coming.

"They're getting rid of a lot of things to try to uplift the area. I think it's going to work," he says.

Bruce Weese, another inner circle buyer, shares that optimism.

"I think it will make for a much safer Regent than previously, because you're going to have a large mix of people living in the area, which is what makes a successful city," says Weese, who rents a one-bedroom near Yonge St. and Davisville Ave. and is buying a one-bedroom condo for $252,000 – his first home purchase.

Like Sunita and Shawn, Weese, 46, is moving to the area because it's close to his job as a marketing manager for a health care services company in Cabbagetown. "I can walk to work. I don't need a car, or to use transit. It's ideal," he says.

Sunita will still be able to walk to her housekeeping job at Women's College Hospital near Bay and College Sts., and the kids will remain close to their schools and friends.

"We thought it would be nice to stay in the community," she says.

The couple and their children are getting butterflies waiting for their big moving day. Daughter Lelandra, 13, and son Isiah, 11, are "beyond excited," according to their mom.

"They took the brochure of the designs of the bedrooms. They're planning what they're going to do, what they're going to put in their rooms."

Source

I'll be a little surprised but really happy, if these condos sell well, in this economy. I love how it's developing so far.

I visited this building for Doors Open today but left in disgust when I was told that the only thing that visitors could see besides the lobby was the boiler room. Is the TCHC afraid that the new units are "too good" and that the general public will complain when they see them?

I think you might be on to something there and that's what I told them. lol

Pics of the apartments. (and not good ones either lol)

DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09094.jpg

DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09095.jpg

DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09096.jpg

DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09097.jpg

DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09098.jpg

DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09104.jpg

DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09101.jpg

DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09105.jpg

Redevelopment plan for Regent Park
DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09107.jpg

DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09108.jpg

DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09116.jpg

Last edited:
Pics of the apartments. (and not good ones either lol)
DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09094.jpg

thanks for sharing these Torontovibe ... I was gonna go during Doors Open just to see Regent Park but couldn't make it in time ~

wow the unit in these pictures really show the flare of public housing !! utiliarian washrooms (like hospitals) with tiles halfway up the wall, white appliances mis-matched with dark cabinetry, what appears to be laminate counters, parkade flooring ... this is sharply in contrast with the images I vaguely remember seeing in some earlier news release from Daniels or TCHC showing a unit with condo-like finishings ... maybe that was just an 'show unit' ?? LOL

Yeah, Regent Park was disappointing for a Doors Open. I breezed through the lobby then went to the sales centre, where some guy tried to sell me a condo. I wasn't interested, but they seemed to be hooking a fair number of people. They were offering parking for $7,000ish plus a free locker for people who bought on the first day.

Here's a shot of the model suite. Sure stands in contrast to the picture above.

3560695831_d838e52d72_b.jpg

Why do I feel like I have seen this girl bellow the street signs before? Was she in a lotto 649 add?

Anyways, looks like a pretty clear improvement. I am curious as to how many market condo buyers are interested in the project. Does anybody know anybody considering it?

wow the unit in these pictures really show the flare of public housing !! utiliarian washrooms (like hospitals) with tiles halfway up the wall, white appliances mis-matched with dark cabinetry, what appears to be laminate counters, parkade flooring ... this is sharply in contrast with the images I vaguely remember seeing in some earlier news release from Daniels or TCHC showing a unit with condo-like finishings ... maybe that was just an 'show unit' ?? LOL

if the public housing units had s/s appliances, granite, etc, etc ... i think there would be a huge uproar as to why such luxuries were being used.

tiles up the walls is a good thing since it makes it easier for clean up ...

cdr108 ... I understand SS appliances don't belong in a TCHC property for cost reasons, but tiles only make it halfway up the wall for an unfinished look ? and white applicances perhaps are better with light cabinetry ??

Here's a shot of the model suite. Sure stands in contrast to the picture above.

3560695831_d838e52d72_b.jpg

thanks for the info GraphicMatt ...

anyways ... it appears from GraphicMatt's photos, Daniels is offering the same crap in the condo here ... being kitchen cabinetry typical for 8' units being installed in suites with 9' ceilings, therefore leaving a useless 1' gap above the upper cabinets (where the coloured vases are now) which forces purchasers to go for that ripoff 'cabinetry upgrade'

Back