Toronto OnePark West | ?m | 13s | Daniels | Core Architects

from the KMAI website...

REGENT PARK REDEVELOPMENT

This mixed-use development is part of Phase 1 of Toronto Community Housing Corporation’s revitalization of Regent Park. This ten-storey building features retail fronting Parliament Street, daycare on two levels, underground parking, and 84 rent-geared-to-income residential units above.

The building will be LEED® Gold certified. Building elevations are inspired by Toronto’s existing loft typology of large expansive windows and a brick exterior. The building steps back at each of the two communal landscaped terraces on the south Cole Street elevation. These terraces benefit from bright south light and deep overhangs

what they forgot to mention is that "our building is an ugly piece of crap", especially when compared to the other beautiful buildings being built in Regent Park by other architects...

Last edited:
well I suppose with any artform there are differences of opinion, and everyone is entitled to theirs, but the only 'promise' I see with this is the promise of a future eyesore, lol...:)

Anyways...

Here is some more info on the One Oak portion of Regent Park. It is the building to the north of One Cole.

Residential-REG-Main.jpg

Kearns Mancini Architects

Is that more retail I see there? I hope so, Parliament should be retail from top to bottom. OOOPPSS! I just read your post saying it's retail. GREAT!

now this is more like it - pics posted today by Jasonzed at SSC....

Mississauga1679.jpg

Mississauga1680.jpg

Mississauga1681.jpg

Mississauga1682.jpg

From the intersection of Dundas and Parliament the various building heights and shapes of the One Cole buildings, with the aA development seen beyond them, fit together quite harmoniously. The grey of both towers matches, and the red brick will add variety ... and match One Oak.

Yyzer,

Can you elaborate on why you see a potential failure here? I think if real brick is used and they go lightly on the spandrel panels, it could look quite handsome. Especially with all the glass to the south, I think a building which doesn't try and hide its mass is appropriate.

And yes, there will be retail here.

Hi ProjectEnd,

I guess what I find grating is the contrast between this building and the aA stuff....yes, retail at grade is good, and red brick is always fine....but with Mr. Clewes, we are going from this....

Mississauga1685.jpg

pic by Jasonzed at SSC...

to this...
IMGP8883i.jpg

pic by Taller, Better at SSC...

A complete quantum leap for Regent Park....you could almost argue that it is too good for here.....whereas the Clewes stuff just soars, this latest proposal seems to be more of the same old drudgery...perhaps we are getting spoiled by Peter Clewes.........:)

You do know that One Cole, the building directly to south of One Oak and on the left in the picture you posted, is by D+S right? What's more, I think the brick accents on the smaller portion of that structure are a nice conclusion to the conversation initiated by the complex' larger tower whose spandrel panels and glass balconies speak to aA's structures to the east. It's all part of a larger plan which includes a building by Core whose signature "3-sided-box style" will engage aA's complex from the north.

You do know that One Cole, the building directly to south of One Oak and on the left in the picture you posted, is by D+S right?

yep.......

/still don't like the Kearns Mancini....

May 8th Update

From above.

Are these phase 1 or are we into phase 2 now?

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I think what we're getting is an ensemble of buildings by several of the better local firms that will work well together when they're built, in terms of form, colour and texture. They'll be as good an advertisement for Toronto Style as Freedville is becoming - taking a blank slate offered by the site and creating buildings that work with one-another, not against one-another. Already, as you head east along Dundas and cross Parliament, it's quite delightful how the towers and lower podium buildings gradually reveal themselves in sequence as a play of horizontals and verticals, take their turns in capturing attention, and then deferring to the next one in line. Once the red brick appears on these, and future, buildings it'll add another dimension.

I noticed the other day that the tallest of the towers terminates Trinity Street from the Distillery.

Back