Mississauga One Park Tower | ?m | 38s | Daniels | Kirkor

There will also never be a lively pedestrian life because the people living in MCC are suburbanites, with cars, but they just happen to live in a condo.

I disagree...95% of the people buying condos at MCC are from places like Hong Kong, Beirut, Baghdad, and Karachi....if you look for a typical 'suburbanite' westerner, you won't find any.

Actually, that attitude is not only just factually wrong, it is condescending as well.

The makeup of folks at MCC these days is impressively international, and may be more multicultural than downtown TO..

Why on earth would you think I was equating "suburbanite" with a particular nationality? A suburbanite is a person that lives in a suburb, period.

I'm from Mississauga, so I'm well aware of the diversity of the city, and in fact this diversity is one of its only redeeming features.

I don't see what your point is... do all suburbanites drive cars everywhere? Do suburbanites in Vaughan or Brampton drive as much as in Mississauga? Is car-dependence in Mississauga even close to what it is in Mesa, AZ? What about Scarborough and North York?

I'm not sure why you stereotype suburbanites when even in just the Toronto area they are not the same.

I don't see what your point is... do all suburbanites drive cars everywhere? Do suburbanites in Vaughan or Brampton drive as much as in Mississauga? Is car-dependence in Mississauga even close to what it is in Mesa, AZ? What about Scarborough and North York?

I'm not sure why you stereotype suburbanites when even in just the Toronto area they are not the same.

Yes, my point is that all suburbanites drive cars everywhere (unless through socioeconomic factors they are forced to take transit). Hence the lack of pedestrian life. This is pretty obvious...just watch the program "The End of Suburbia" for further information.

If they wanted the "real deal" when it comes to city life they would move to an actual urban neighbourhood.

But if they wanted the real deal when it comes to the suburbs, they would move to Caledon or Aurora. Some suburbanites choose to walk places and take transit, but often they're being prevented by distance and obstacles, not encouraged by socioeconomic factors.

I remember a brief discussion about "midurban" places a while back...if MCC doesn't fit that bill yet, it probably will soon.

Agreed, MCC is definitely different from Aurora. Aurora is about as burb-ish as it gets! Caledon could almost pass itself off as a small town (as opposed to a suburb) unless it's changed a lot recently.
I think the uber-suburb would be Hwy 400/Hwy 7 area. Ugh, that is one nasty area!!

Exactly. All these MCC-boosters on here suggest that there are tons of pedestrians now (except, of course, within 1 km of construction sites). Show us some pics with the pedestrians, and tell us where they're heading!

I stand corrected... there were pedestrians. They were parking at Square One, crossing the street to go into the office buildings just to avoid paying for $6 parking (myself included).... :)

whats your licence plate, so I can forwarded it to the correct authorities :p

Here are some recent pics:

Tower progress:
MCC_2007-06-28021.jpg

From a distance, behind the Civic Centre:
MCC_2007-06-28019.jpg

And proof that indeed, the MCC has pedestrians:
MCC_2007-06-28022.jpg

This isn't a particularly busy intersection (Robert Speck and Kariya Gate have way more peds) but it shows typical pedestrian volumes. I can say that in my brief walk around the west end today, there were no 'deserted' streets. The retail under construction on Living Arts Drive (Hasty Market, deli, professional offices, and a very large Starbucks with patio) will add a lot more activity in the coming weeks. As will the implementation of meter parking this fall on all streets (the signs are up for it).

Mississauga is suburban but much better then all of the other suburban neighbors combined.

Yes, my point is that all suburbanites drive cars everywhere (unless through socioeconomic factors they are forced to take transit). Hence the lack of pedestrian life. This is pretty obvious...just watch the program "The End of Suburbia" for further information.

End of Suburbia?? That is your proof? You obviously misunderstood the whole point of movie: that existing suburbs can be redesigned and made less car-dependent, that suburbanites can change to more sustainable lifestyle. The movie does not stereotype suburbanites like you do, it is a stupid example.

That movie focuses on American suburbs anyways, which are much different from Canadian suburbs.

The fact is, car use varies a lot between suburbs, despite socioeconomic factors. Oakville has the highest average household income in Canada, much higher than its similar-sized neighbour Burlington, but Oakville is the one with the higher transit ridership.

End of Suburbia?? That is your proof? You obviously misunderstood the whole point of movie: that existing suburbs can be redesigned and made less car-dependent, that suburbanites can change to more sustainable lifestyle. The movie does not stereotype suburbanites like you do, it is a stupid example.

That movie focuses on American suburbs anyways, which are much different from Canadian suburbs.

The fact is, car use varies a lot between suburbs, despite socioeconomic factors. Oakville has the highest average household income in Canada, much higher than its similar-sized neighbour Burlington, but Oakville is the one with the higher transit ridership.

LOL....how are American suburbs so different from Canadian suburbs? I see no difference at all, and in fact the GTA is one of the worst offenders when it comes to urban sprawl in North America.
The movie underscored my point that suburbs (including Mississauga) are CURRENTLY designed as the antithesis to urban living. Your point about reengineering how people live is but a pipe-dream right now. Who knows, maybe one day people will change their way of living in response to external factors, many of which were cited in the film.
Look, if you're so passionate about suburban living that's great!! Keep those SUV's coming! But don't call someone else "stupid" for voicing an alternative opinion.

LOL....how are American suburbs so different from Canadian suburbs? I see no difference at all, and in fact the GTA is one of the worst offenders when it comes to urban sprawl in North America.

Why does everyone buy into this myth?

Can you think of any area in the GTA where you have to drive 3.3 miles to go to your neighbour's backyard?

Is our city of 5 million 160 km across?

Can you think of another suburban area in North America, like Mississauga, where buses run every 10 minutes down major arterials like Hurontario?

You're using an extreme example there.
Do you really think our suburbs are superior to New Jersey, or Irvine? I'm talking suburbs, not exurbs.
And even if our suburbs were marginally better, what is the point? The GTA sprawl is brutal, and buses run once every 10 minutes in a minute portion of suburbs, and only during rush hour. How can anyone who is a member of "Urban Toronto" even begin to defend this way of life??

Back