Mississauga One Park Tower | ?m | 38s | Daniels | Kirkor

It wouldn't matter where you took the picture - a construction site, the corner of Burnhamthorpe and Hwy 10, Confederation Pkwy - the net result would be the same...no pedestrians.

I am looking at that very corner as we speak (Burnhamthorpe and 10) and I count over 40 pedestrians. Sure, it seems like there aren't many, but once you actually start walking around the city centre, you realize that you're seldom the only one. But I digress...we're talking about the condo here.

What I'm getting at is that despite the thousands of condo units that have been built in MCC (and the many thousands to come) there is still no active street life.

I like the roof, too...not as good as the North York Tower roofs, but still good. The whole building could be a lot more blatantly gothic, though. Needs flying buttresses and like 64 more gargoyles.

What I'm getting at is that despite the thousands of condo units that have been built in MCC (and the many thousands to come) there is still no active street life.

queens quay??? Bay street??

It's all relative. Bay and QQ may not be as busy as some of the streets one or two blocks away, but they blow MCC right out of the water in terms of pedestrian activity.

I like the roof, too...not as good as the North York Tower roofs, but still good. The whole building could be a lot more blatantly gothic, though. Needs flying buttresses and like 64 more gargoyles.

It should be just like that apartment building in the first Ghostbusters movie, with gargoyles that come to life, and a gateway to Hell in one of the units.

5% discount for the 'Hell-gate' unit, of course.

Bill

It's all relative. Bay and QQ may not be as busy as some of the streets one or two blocks away, but they blow MCC right out of the water in terms of pedestrian activity.

MCC actually has a lot of pedestrians compared to almost any other suburban area that was built after WWII...you said it, it's all relative. North York Centre has more than MCC, but offhand I can't think of any others that are busier.

Because every pic is of a construction site next to a field that isn't even a construction site yet. There's always pedestrians but it's such a huge area and with wide roads - 100 pedestrians fill up Kensington Market but disappear on Burnhamthorpe.

Once there is more connection between the projects and things get more settled, I'm sure there will be an improvement. Really public transit and nice shops and restaurants are going to do it, but these things need time.

I could be completely off with this, but wasn't this the condo that has been set up so that there can be a restaurant operating at the base overlooking the park and Confederation?

well from the 401 this stinker sure looks tall and dominating. Imagine what those Ma towers will look like! However, from the 401, the entire MCC area looks pathetic and pointless. Why live in a highrise in Mississauga when you can get a house for similar money? I'd prefer to see thousands of highrises built in the old Toronto before the burb's steal the (in the suburbs imho) wasted density. Take all the 905 highrises and put them downtown--with better architecture--and still, downtown Toronto would have plenty of room to grow.

No it wouldn't. If like myself, you have walked on EVERY SINGLE street in the old city of Toronto (I love walking it's my "hobby") you would know that there are thousands (yes I've counted---thousands) of empty old lots/parking lots/underused (ie crappy one-2 storey modern plazas/retail strips) sites around the downtown--I define "downtown" as south of bloor between bathurst and parliament streets. If you build 10 storey buildings on all the underused sites, with an average of 100 units/building, that's room for a minimum 100,000 more people! Someday I will organize my vision/plans/ideas onto a map and post it online.

Of course, then there's the junction/dundas west. Just walk out Dundas west between Runnymede and Islington--how many 6 storey buildings can line that "avenue?" Lakeshore? Avenue Rd? Bathurst? East bayfront? On it goes..... The "running out of land" theory is put forward by developers--they want to sell you a condo TODAY not in 2020.

Back