Mississauga One Park Tower | ?m | 38s | Daniels | Kirkor

What does pedestrians (or lack thereof) have to do with One Park Tower?

I suggest a more general MCC thread if you want to debate this point over and over again. While I'm no gushy-admirer of MCC, I even get tired of this debate.

Really, I could ask the same question about CityPlace when there isn't a game on at SkyDome.

Pedestrians were really just an example. FM is arguing Mississauga has learned from it's mistakes...all I'm saying is I'll believe it when the results are actually there - whether it be more pedestrians, better design, etc.

As for the tower...it's not bad, but I don't care for the roof. I think a flat top would've looked better.

Pedestrians were really just an example. FM is arguing Mississauga has learned from it's mistakes...all I'm saying is I'll believe it when the results are actually there - whether it be more pedestrians, better design, etc.
How bout this: you tell us what the mistakes are? Just list them- no need for any smug remarks about how Mississauga supporters are lying and being jerks. Just list them and we can inform you what the city is doing to fix/improve/reverse the trend or if the city has not done anything about it, then we could probably bring it up at a future planning session. Just due to the fact many of us Missy supporters in fact live here, we probably know a bit more about what's happening.

Some things that I have noticed that people seem to bring up include:
PROBLEM: Lack of retail at base of towers.
SOLUTION: All new towers include space for retail/restaurants. For instance, as FM already mention One Park will include space for a restaurant that will overlook Capital is getting a Starbucks and a convenience store and the Amacon Development will include more.

PROBLEM: Lack of events happening in MCC
SOLUTION: The city launched the very successful MyMississauga campaign last year which was so successful it was continued this year. Some things it includes are concerts in the library square (Jacksoul is coming up soon), Yoga On the Lawn, Films Under the Stars, and Vintage Car Days. There are the other well known events like the Amacon Rotary Ribfest (one of the largest in Canada) and Canada Day events.

However, the waterfront is beginning to show promise with the recent unveilings of HTO and the Irish settlers monument.
I agree that HtO is a fabulous addition to the waterfront (except for the fact the Muskoka chairs were temporary) but I have to disagree about the impact that the Irish Settler Monument is having on the waterfront. It's symbolic nature and artistic value are awesome, but acessing the thing is so friggin' hard. I was down there last week and the side to the west of the Malting Co. was fenced off, coming directly north from the community centre is blocked, so the only way in is by going down to the friggin' airport terminal and walking down there. It's honestly the worst possible place to put a park with such value. I think the frontage on the lake next to the Ferry Terminal would have been better since it would actually have a regular stream of visitors to it, not just people waiting for a ferry across to their plane, or dedicated people who are actually looking for it.

Yeah, the awful grass parkette next to the ferry terminal would have been a good spot - there's a nice 'people arriving by boat' match.

Having 2 token retail outlets at the base of each condo isn't nearly enough to create any kind of real urban street, though.

jeicow,

I was one of the people who made a comment about the lack of retail in the vicinity, but I was making reference to what already has been built. If there is to be more retail, great! Past developments often did not include such details.

But I also pointed out that there did not appear to be other buildings going up around there that would be of mixed use; developments that would include other businesses, services and offices. Having not looked at the plan in ages, I can't actually recall if such developments are included. Maybe there will be some. Without them, I suggested the area had a the feel of a vertical suburb. Pardon me if this offended. I certainly don't mind that it is a much more dense suburb (if that is even the correct word).

The trouble is that there's a giant mall nearby. I can't see too much in the way being attracted to base level apart from the usual dry cleaners, convenience stores, perhaps a dental office.

It just proves how difficult it is to transplant 'density' to a place like MCC, no matter how good the effort might be.

It just proves how difficult it is to transplant 'density' to a place like MCC, no matter how good the effort might be.

Yup, that's it. Once you screw up, there's no goin' back. That's why getting it right the first time is so important.

Mississauga 'downtown' needs a slowdown

July 28, 2007
by Christopher Hume

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/239500

Mississauga may have come a long way, but still it has a long way to go. Despite plans to urbanize a community that began life as a bedroom suburb, a lot of what the late Metro chair Fred Gardiner called "multiplication by subdivision" has already occurred. Indeed, the last traditional subdivision is nearing completion in the northwest corner of Mississauga.

Meanwhile, down at Hurontario St. and Burnhamthorpe Rd., the new Mississauga is taking shape. It's a downtown, well, sort of. The most visible sign is the Absolute complex on the northeast corner of that intersection. Though much remains unfinished – most notably the Marilyn Monroe tower and its companion – a couple of highrises are occupied, as is a row of townhouses that extends along Burnhamthorpe. These two- and three-storey residences are perhaps the most obvious indication that the 21st century has arrived in town. Though townhouses aren't new to Mississauga, these face directly onto the street. This is hardly a radical notion but in a city where back-lotting is the norm, the sight of a front door on a main thoroughfare is happily jarring. Of course, they're set back so far from the road that there's easily enough space for a whole second layer of townhouses, especially if Burnhamthorpe were to be narrowed from its current five/six lanes to three/four.

The rest of the area is Mississauga as envisioned back in the darkest days of development at any cost. Wandering around, one can't help but see this as a place dedicated abjectly to the automobile. The point has been made many times, but it's strikingly apparent here in the scale of things, which is wildly inhospitable to pedestrians. Typically, the pattern of building consists of a green space (unused) that runs along the sidewalk (unused), then a parking lot (heavily used), and finally a tower. As a result, the distance between elements is vast and there's no sense of connection. On the other hand, it also means there's plenty of room for this planned urbanization to happen.

But the days when people choose to walk rather than drive haven't arrived just yet. Today Mississauga can be understood only as a series of enormous spaces joined by highways. Each zone is dedicated its own use, i.e. residential, commercial, retail and, above all, parking.

Mixing things up would help, and in the process perhaps planners could reduce the scale to something more human, something that can be appreciated at a slower pace. There's an old Arab saying, the soul moves at the speed of a trotting camel; for Mississaugans, the message is clear: slow down.

CONDO CRITIC

The Condos: They say context is everything, but in Mississauga, that's not much help. There's so little context here that the real context is no context. Which means one can only admire the fact that the Absolute complex goes to such lengths to create a sense of place where almost none exists. Eventually the development will include five towers, though for now only two are complete. The most interesting architecturally, the one dubbed the Marilyn Monroe for its curvaceous form and its subsequent companion, are still holes in the ground. By comparison, the remaining three are ordinary. Curved in parts, presumably to beak up the monotony of the slab, the completed pair takes its place on the skyline without fanfare. Surrounded by townhouses, these glass-and-concrete towers could have been a lot more interesting. On the other hand, they could have been much worse. For one thing, they could have been clad in the tinted glass that Mississauga developers seem to love. From street level, the townhouses are the most distinctive feature, and they happily manage to avoid the ersatz historicism that suburban builders so often choose.

The Grade: C+

Mississauga 'downtown' needs a slowdown

July 28, 2007
by Christopher Hume

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/239500

Mississauga may have come a long way, but still it has a long way to go. Despite plans to urbanize a community that began life as a bedroom suburb, a lot of what the late Metro chair Fred Gardiner called "multiplication by subdivision" has already occurred. Indeed, the last traditional subdivision is nearing completion in the northwest corner of Mississauga.

Meanwhile, down at Hurontario St. and Burnhamthorpe Rd., the new Mississauga is taking shape. It's a downtown, well, sort of. The most visible sign is the Absolute complex on the northeast corner of that intersection. Though much remains unfinished – most notably the Marilyn Monroe tower and its companion – a couple of highrises are occupied, as is a row of townhouses that extends along Burnhamthorpe. These two- and three-storey residences are perhaps the most obvious indication that the 21st century has arrived in town. Though townhouses aren't new to Mississauga, these face directly onto the street. This is hardly a radical notion but in a city where back-lotting is the norm, the sight of a front door on a main thoroughfare is happily jarring. Of course, they're set back so far from the road that there's easily enough space for a whole second layer of townhouses, especially if Burnhamthorpe were to be narrowed from its current five/six lanes to three/four.

The rest of the area is Mississauga as envisioned back in the darkest days of development at any cost. Wandering around, one can't help but see this as a place dedicated abjectly to the automobile. The point has been made many times, but it's strikingly apparent here in the scale of things, which is wildly inhospitable to pedestrians. Typically, the pattern of building consists of a green space (unused) that runs along the sidewalk (unused), then a parking lot (heavily used), and finally a tower. As a result, the distance between elements is vast and there's no sense of connection. On the other hand, it also means there's plenty of room for this planned urbanization to happen.

But the days when people choose to walk rather than drive haven't arrived just yet. Today Mississauga can be understood only as a series of enormous spaces joined by highways. Each zone is dedicated its own use, i.e. residential, commercial, retail and, above all, parking.

Mixing things up would help, and in the process perhaps planners could reduce the scale to something more human, something that can be appreciated at a slower pace. There's an old Arab saying, the soul moves at the speed of a trotting camel; for Mississaugans, the message is clear: slow down.

CONDO CRITIC

The Condos: They say context is everything, but in Mississauga, that's not much help. There's so little context here that the real context is no context. Which means one can only admire the fact that the Absolute complex goes to such lengths to create a sense of place where almost none exists. Eventually the development will include five towers, though for now only two are complete. The most interesting architecturally, the one dubbed the Marilyn Monroe for its curvaceous form and its subsequent companion, are still holes in the ground. By comparison, the remaining three are ordinary. Curved in parts, presumably to beak up the monotony of the slab, the completed pair takes its place on the skyline without fanfare. Surrounded by townhouses, these glass-and-concrete towers could have been a lot more interesting. On the other hand, they could have been much worse. For one thing, they could have been clad in the tinted glass that Mississauga developers seem to love. From street level, the townhouses are the most distinctive feature, and they happily manage to avoid the ersatz historicism that suburban builders so often choose.

The Grade: C+

Sounds like Hume didnt travel to Mississauga to write this story. The most visible sign of a downtown is the Absolute complex? Absolute is creating a sense of place? OK, maybe for the people living in it. A few blocks away, the Daniels development does a much better job at representing what downtown Mississauga should be. Ground floor retail that meets the street, townhouses that meet the street, pedestrians actually using the (wide) sidewalks... Absolute has none of that, and I doubt it will once construction is complete. Yea, 2 of the towers are nice to look at, but thats it. They are simply eye candy.

Back to One Park Tower:
MCC003.jpg

MCC010.jpg

Some pedestrian activity across the street:
MCC005.jpg

There were many more people walking about by the Amica building... but im assuming it was just 'walk time' for the elderly there.

Sounds like Hume didnt travel to Mississauga to write this story.

Right...it's further proof that Hume reads this forum and writes occasional articles based on and researched using urbantoronto threads. The timing and content of his article is not a coincidence.

Also, Hume made another mistake: Burnahmthorpe is already only 4 lane road east of Highway 10, where Absolute is.

I agree with Tuscani: I think Absolute is pretty bad, probably only Eden Park is worse, and Eden Park is technically not located in MCC.

Scaffolding for the crown started today....this will be Mississauga's tallest until Absolute 4 aka Marilyn gets built...

onepark005.jpg

onepark002.jpg

had another look at the roof scaffolding today (more was added today)...this very steep peaked roof will add about 5 storeys to the building's height...so, 38 floors plus a 5 storey roof, equals about 430ft..and that's conservative, as it is not factoring in that the 38th floor is about double the height of the others, plus there are also future fins coming to the roof itself. So this is definitely Mississauga's first 400 footer, imo.

had another look at the roof scaffolding today (more was added today)...this very steep peaked roof will add about 5 storeys to the building's height...so, 38 floors plus a 5 storey roof, equals about 430ft..and that's conservative, as it is not factoring in that the 38th floor is about double the height of the others, plus there are also future fins coming to the roof itself. So this is definitely Mississauga's first 400 footer, imo.
Are there any planning documents to confirm this?

Are there any planning documents to confirm this?

I wish there were..it would be great to get confirmation from the city....

Back