Mississauga One Park Tower | ?m | 38s | Daniels | Kirkor

I prefer One Park Tower as well. Up close, it is certainly not bad looking (in my opinion). And it certainly is not going to be situated in a large park as the rendering suggests.

As for the gargoyles, whatever.

Nope. The guys they hired to get them off of Notre Dame are having "passport" problems. Dumb EU laws.

the base of the Calgary tower is superior in what way?

-> both towers are hideous - from top to bottom. Thankfully they will be in places like Calgary and the 905, and not in downtown Toronto.

Well that's exactly the point. Just because it happens elsewhere, why does it have to automatically have to apply to what is happening in Mississauga City Centre?

If its one thing that Mississauga has learned, is from the mistakes made from the past, and mistakes made by other cities including Toronto.

The wide streets you speak of are now being narrowed with parking lanes. New roads are narrow, have bike lanes and wide marked cross walks. Condo podiums do not have dinky podiums, but have walk up town homes and retail spaces. You are completely wrong when you state they are built far from the street. Almost all are built right up to the street.

Mississauga is already proving you and many others wrong. A good example is the Absolute project. I recall many were calling it the end of the world because it was a “gated community†in the centre of Mississauga. A highly acclaimed international design competition, 56 and 50 storeys, a sold out building, construction in less than a year, and a Hurontario LRT announced on its front door, suddenly the project isn’t such a joke anymore.

That is just one major example and it’s only the beginning.

Louroz

Why do you expect people to give Mississauga the benefit of the doubt when they've done such a bad job with the City Centre so far?

If the city has learned from its mistakes, great...but I don't blame anyone for not giving the city the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I'll believe it when I see some results.

Right now, the MCC isn't very impressive.

listen, you already can not see the results because you clearly already have a personal biased against Mississauga.

I am providing my own personal point of view of someone who has lived here almost my entire life and will continue to help lead the development in the future.

I've said this before, this automatic negativity towards Mississauga from Toronto residents is unwarranted, one only needs to look westward outside their window from downtown to see an impressive new distinct skyline rising in Mississauga City Centre.

It shouldn't be seen as a threat, which I can only imagine is at the heart of many of the negative remarks, but as positive and sure sign that good things are happening in Mississauga.

Louroz

Not as hideous as a lot of the crap going up in downtown Toronto.

Now now, Louroz... no need to get testy... ;)

New buildings like "Chicago" aren't very good for Mississauga... the ridiculous design being more embarrassing than anything. Density is always welcome... but the bar for average design within the 416 is arguably significantly higher, with the exception of perhaps one or two recent developments in Mississauga. Shame, really, that more developers don't strive for sophisticated contemporary design in the 905 - surely buyers out there are just as discerning as anywhere else. Perhaps not.

Condo for condo, downtown buyers are not more discerning, but downtown developers do have much more inspiring territory around them...big box stores and 80s pink brick houses don't automatically trigger the construction of great looking buildings.

Now now, Louroz... no need to get testy... ;)

New buildings like "Chicago" aren't very good for Mississauga... the ridiculous design being more embarrassing than anything.

Funny, the "Chicago" in Toronto actually looks a lot worse than the one in Mississauga.

I am providing my own personal point of view of someone who has lived here almost my entire life and will continue to help lead the development in the future.

I've said this before, this automatic negativity towards Mississauga from Toronto residents is unwarranted, one only needs to look westward outside their window from downtown to see an impressive new distinct skyline rising in Mississauga City Centre.

It shouldn't be seen as a threat, which I can only imagine is at the heart of many of the negative remarks, but as positive and sure sign that good things are happening in Mississauga.

Good for you for wanting to make a difference and lead the city into some bright, fantastic future. Good for Mississauga for building a whole bunch of tall stuff on what was once farmland. And if Mississauga can become something urban, great.

But I think syn said it best. Mississauga is just not walking the talk. Best intentions and good ideas don't make up for the fact that what is being built today, right now, is essentially a modified and updated version of the tower in the park. Call me juvenille (which I can be), call me biased (even though I had long held the belief that Mississauga could be something interesting), call me fearful of the all mighty power and the new emmerging force in Canadian cities. But I really have not seen the city doing anything that makes me think it is going to deviate from the path of being little more than a suburban satellite city with an urban form that follows that role.

AC, I respect you for at least stating your bias. Unlike many on this forum who just like to rant off like the world is coming to an end.

Louroz

listen, you already can not see the results because you clearly already have a personal biased against Mississauga.

Louroz

You should probably re-read your posts. The one with bias here is you.

I find it interesting that you'll frequently comment on Toronto projects and events and feel justified in doing so as a citizen of the GTA. However, if anyone has anything negative to say about Mississauga you play the bias or ignorance card, as if someone from Toronto has no right to say anything negative about Mississauga (even though much of it is justified).

Drop the hypocrisy and get off your high horse.

^It's not like anyone here ever held back when trying to crap on whatever is happening in Mississauga. The evidence is in this thread. ;)

^It's not like anyone here ever held back when trying to crap on whatever is happening in Mississauga. The evidence is in this thread. ;)

^People on this board crap on anything...whether it be in Mississauga or Toronto. I've seen Mississauga get praise for it's positive moves and projects - I think the praise was almost universal for One City Centre.

If Mississauga has some solid plans and are trying to implement, great. That's a long way from reality though. A lot of us have seen the plans for the East Bayfront precinct, etc. on the Toronto waterfront and like them...but that doesn't mean everything has changed and it's now a nice area. It's still a long way from that.

I remember back in the early days of this forum, the MCC was hyped then too by a certain forumer, even though the City Centre consisted of some of the most auto-oriented developments you'd find (the Chapters, Playdium Colesium, etc.). The plans for the MCC look great, but that's what they are right now...plans that haven't been implemented. Considering the job Mississauga has done with the CC so far, I don't see why people should be dishing out praise for an area that's still quite dreary and pretty far from pedestrian friendly.

Back