IMG_0362.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 761
  • IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 767
I walked by this today and was really surprised by how high the ground floor is. There's definitely potential here for some pretty upscale retail spaces. Those columns are already well above the hoarding, and I think by the time they start forming the second floor this will start to peek over the little two-storey buildings to the south.

And I could see them being into the tower floorplates by mid November. They seem to be going at about a floor every three weeks, and I believe the podium is six storeys, so that works out to about four months. Tho the floors also step back rather quickly so they might start going faster as the floorplates get smaller.

I have a feeling this building will turn out great, perhaps even epic. It will make a great addition to the area. The city is going to have to figure out a solution for traffic soon enough anyways, so there's no point in worrying over how many buildings we can jam into one intersection. As for the historical buildings, why preserve old buildings that require so much extra to maintain? Just build nicer NEW buildings with some character. There's no rule that says we can't put flourishes on our new buildings. I don't know why everything new has to be steel, glass and concrete, there's so much an inspired developer could do with a brand new building to give a neighborhood "character."

I have a feeling this building will turn out great, perhaps even epic. It will make a great addition to the area. The city is going to have to figure out a solution for traffic soon enough anyways, so there's no point in worrying over how many buildings we can jam into one intersection. As for the historical buildings, why preserve old buildings that require so much extra to maintain? Just build nicer NEW buildings with some character. There's no rule that says we can't put flourishes on our new buildings. I don't know why everything new has to be steel, glass and concrete, there's so much an inspired developer could do with a brand new building to give a neighborhood "character."

The sad part is, not many builders are here for architectural integrity like they used to be. It's all about profit. Why add extra high quality details when builders can get the building done quicker without them? (And be off to make a profit on another condo)

Builders have their reputation to consider too though…

When sales slow down, as they have, builders end up in a more competitive marketplace where buyers are more choosy. Builders that are only in it for a quick profit will not get good word of mouth.

Builders have their reputation to consider too though…

Superficially they do, yes. But one of the biggest issues in the industry at the moment is that condominiums (obviously the most-constructed type of building in Toronto) are handed over to their new owners and condo corporations and are essentially "out of the developer's hands". Energy use, long-term viability, etc., are not big concerns.

This, combined with lax standards for building energy use, longevity, etc., (thanks, lobbyists!), creates some big issues in the longterm.

Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread but it has to be reiterated on here. Let's not be in denial about the issues that condominium development, in its current form, is presenting to Toronto.

Last edited:
This, combined with lax standards for building energy use, longevity, etc

Ontario Building Code has some of the highest energy performance measures in North America. New SB-12 requirements came into effect on Jan 1, 2012 and the next edition of the code will further enhance the minimum standard for all new housing construction in 2017 will consumer 15% less energy than those under the current code and large buildings will consume at a minimum 13% less energy... those are the minimum building code standards - the city of Toronto also has it's own Tier I and Tier II standards and there are many industry led voluntary programs such as LEED, EnergyStar, R-2000 etc.... not sure where people get the impression that we have lax energy standards, when we are in fact a North American leader.

Back