Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

I think Apple normally likes historical buildings/landmarks, or ultra-modern dedicated structures.

The retail space under a condo doesn't fit. It's too...pedestrian.

There's little that's pedestrian about 1 Bloor East. Jus' sayin'.

What he's trying to say is that basically Apple designs their own stores strictly and similar to the rest. Moving into an glass enclosure like those renders wouldn't "look or feel" very Apple. If you google other Apple standalone flagships, they're not under condos. They're usually placed along streetwalls or are architectural marvels like the store on Fifth Avenue in NYC or the one in Shanghai.

...If you google other Apple standalone flagships, they're not under condos. They're usually placed along streetwalls or are architectural marvels like the store on Fifth Avenue in NYC or the one in Shanghai.

I'd hardly call those stores "architectural marvels". They're nothing more than gimmicky retail outlets.

Last edited:
Why is there such a fascination with that company on this forum? Don't get me wrong I have an iPhone and think it's great but I don't get all hot and bothered at the prospect of a super epic flagship store! It's not as if they're architectural masterpieces.

Honestly, who cares. How often would one go to such a store unless you like screwing around with their displays?

But I digress...

Edit: Didn't see this before I posted, but yes exactly:

I'd hardly call those stores "architectural marvels". They're nothing ore than gimmicky retail outlets.

Their Fifth Avenue store is the most photographed thing in New York City. Not only are their flagship stores beautiful and simplistic, they attract large crowds of people to wherever they set up. The crowds are young and usually have some money in wallets which is great!

Their Fifth Avenue store is the most photographed thing in New York City. Not only are their flagship stores beautiful and simplistic, they attract large crowds of people to wherever they set up. The crowds are young and usually have some money in wallets which is great!

More photographed than the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, the Brooklyn Bridge? I find that really hard to believe.

I don't think this has been addressed, but has it been said anywhere if they're going to open up the bottom of this tower while the top is still under construction, like they did with Aura? It seems like most of their staging area is along Hayden, and those retail spaces must lease for enough money to justify the cost of the extra overhead hoarding.

1bj21.jpg

1bj21b.jpg

What he's trying to say is that basically Apple designs their own stores strictly and similar to the rest. Moving into an glass enclosure like those renders wouldn't "look or feel" very Apple. If you google other Apple standalone flagships, they're not under condos. They're usually placed along streetwalls or are architectural marvels like the store on Fifth Avenue in NYC or the one in Shanghai.

^ This echoes my mind.

One Bloor will be a great addition to the area, I just think there are better fits for that retail area than an Apple Store.

Back