Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

without doubt ... I'm liking GG's One Bloor a whole lot more than Bazis' previous proposals ... having said that, I still prefer Kolter's original proposal though

Number One Bloor
4459278299_9494a5ca4d_o.jpg

Definitely love the podium at street level... but the rest of it seems a bit underwhelming. I'm indifferent to it.

I am still not feeling this design. It is not nearly as hideous as I previously thought but I still think it would be better suited on Biscayne Bay rather than Yonge and Bloor.

The pathetic attempt to incorporate commercial space on the ground floor, makes me think that we will see a travel agent, a nail salon and a new public optical but not the high end anchor store that the corner demands.

Without a hotel component and a landmark retailer like perhaps a Neiman Marcus, this corner just becomes another row of storefronts.

:p

I am relieved, given the hideous teaser rendering on their website...

How they conclude the tower at the top looks a bit unclear and would depend on the architect's final decision, but I do trust Hariri Pontarini to do a good job. So, I will admit I am pleased. It could be better but I am so relieved it's a big pass for now. :)

QUESTION: Do we know that the top will angle up to a bit of a point, or is that just a cheap trick of the rendering? Each rendering seems to tell a different story. I ask this because that slope on the roof would make a world of positive difference in the design.

The pathetic attempt to incorporate commercial space on the ground floor, makes me think that we will see a travel agent, a nail salon and a new public optical but not the high end anchor store that the corner demands.

Without a hotel component and a landmark retailer like perhaps a Neiman Marcus, this corner just becomes another row of storefronts.

Traynor, the leasing rates that will be charged on a per square foot basis for retail units will be well beyond the means of any of the low-end uses that you have suggested. When it comes down to dollars and cents all of the retail will be at the high-end of the food chain. Apparently Great Gulf has been in discussions with Apple regarding opening up a flagship retail store in this location. I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the retail tenants - they will all be very high-end and help extend the Bloor-Yorkville corridor both east and south.

Another angle of the podium:

4459346191_6efcfe4c1a_o.jpg

The Yonge sidewalk appears to be a bit wider as the lowest level of the retail/podium is pulled back from the property line, while the second level offers some weather protection. Another intesting detail is the tiered podium pulling back from the Yonge-Bloor corner to create more open space.

Last edited:
...QUESTION: Do we know that the top will angle up to a bit of a point, or is that just a cheap trick of the rendering? Each rendering seems to tell a different story. I ask this because that slope on the roof would make a world of positive difference in the design.

We were promised a "gently sloping roof" and the renders do indeed show this. It is not just a trick of the render. However, the slope is so gentle it may be almost imperceptible at a distance. Yet, I imagine that when viewed from the West the shape will be reminiscent of a giant number one.

The night-time rendering reminds me of one of the numerous proposals from the Entertainment District... perhaps a mix of the "Barcelona" condo and the original version of the nearby project on Widmer that had the crazy curves. Which is a good thing, by the way.

OnebloorRend4-Mar10.jpg

for some reason this reminds me of Holiday Inn on King

Also, you will notice the typical Yorkville shoppers who are texting and strolling on a yellow light as they cross Bloor. The people on the south side are just starting to cross and the light is clearly YELLOW. This is the most accurate render I have ever seen. LOL LOL

:p

Last edited:
This looks like an exciting project. I trust the mechanical components on the roof will be well concealed and integrated into the design at this location. I find the trees on the podium roof detract from the liquid or water motif, though.

Back