Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

I think the podium is great. That being said, I do think it could have been further refined. While the wavy terraces on the podium create a unique street-level presence, the way they meet at a sharp edge at the north-west corner isn't as graceful as the rest of the building, and the fact that they are strictly amenity space for a condo. The least graceful of the podium being on the south side fronting Hayden and facing Yonge Street. To me at least, the design of One Bloor turns its back to Yonge street to the south, which are the worst (of the best) sides of both the podium and tower. Thankfully, further future developments south make this less noticeable. Coincidentally, Aura also turns its ugly side to Yonge (the corridor between College and Bloor).
And while I understand corner retail being prime, I still insist they should have left some of it as an open space to the public where a section of the tower meets the ground firmly before blending with a podium south of it. (no matter what anyone says, for a lot this size, you pretty much need a podium).

I agree with others that this building lacks any contrast to make it stand out, which is unfortunate considering its height and location. I also think the podium is boring and unimpressive. Perhaps since the tower lacks contrasting colours or features, they could've made up for that at its base. Somehow whenever I see the render I'm reminded of the Hyatt Regency at King/Peter.

I agree with others that this building lacks any contrast to make it stand out, which is unfortunate considering its height and location. I also think the podium is boring and unimpressive. Perhaps since the tower lacks contrasting colours or features, they could've made up for that at its base. Somehow whenever I see the render I'm reminded of the Hyatt Regency at King/Peter.

I quite like the Hyatt at King/Peter. What is so off-putting about it to you?

As for podiums, they work well in a Toronto context, in the more established areas of the city at least. They allow us to preserve the older low-rise built form at street level while adding height and density in a way that doesn't overwhelm the pre-existing stock. Besides, most of Toronto's high-rises belong to the post-war modern and post-modern era where podiums are common. With a few minor exceptions Toronto isn't a city of street-wall canyons like Manhattan, and never will be. So why not embrace the podium as a prominent feature of Toronto's built form?

Here at One Bloor the podium works particularly well. It adds interest to the intersection, providing an architecture-as-landmark destination moment at this end of the Bloor retail stretch, book-ending the ROM Crystal at the other end. The step-backs and tiers provide energy and draw the eye, as will the layered presence of urban activity here, especially at night when lit up. Scores pretty high in my books!

I think we should be thankful for what we are getting on this prominent piece of land, because trust me things could have been a lot worse considering the fact we get many bad designs in key locations of the city. I'd rather have this than a YC Condo, Lake Shore, or another hacked up design.

You're killing me! Photos please! ;-)

As raclll was saying...

23127048523_6b54b9b6c2_b.jpg

23727733046_e50aeb46d9_h.jpg

23753846195_283976a904_h.jpg

23127040643_d7d9d6f321_h.jpg

23385903119_4f7b0ccb37_h.jpg

23125687394_9f80494622_h.jpg

I hope they glaze the other balconies.

Sorry, that was my interpretation of a post by the I-won't-believe-they'll-use-curved-glass-even-though-they've-promised-that-all-along-until-I-see-it-and-it-won't-look-that-good-anyway crowd who have been filling up the thread lately. Couldn't stop myself.

The curves sections they've installed on the balcony are a different material, not glass, likely acrylic. Looks pretty good though.

Back