Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

This is why when I'm choosing a place to live, I always pick the 4th floor or lower.
Pros
- Bigger unit per price paid
- Take the stairs (for health)
- Balcony has street life to watch
Cons
- Less view

If i was buying a condo i would do the same thing! I always pick low floors when I'm staying in hotels to avoid elevator wait times.

It won't be. I live on a high floor in ROCP 1, where there are 6 elevators for about 650 units, and it is my #1 source of frustration by far. We had an elevator off-line for weeks last summer, it was brutal. It is an issue that is vastly underestimated in my opinion.

I knew someone on one of the PH floors, I visited about 5 years ago. I remember it taking forever to get an elevator to get back down.

Not sure about Aura, but looking at other large projects (greater than 65s) ICE II isn't a whole lot better with 6 elevators for 743 units.

g.jpg

d.jpg

f.jpg

b.jpg

a.jpg

c.jpg

Attachments

• g.jpg
    g.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 626
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 628
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 633
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 637
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 624
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 639
Thanks for the pics CN. Looks like they're on the 7th floor (last one) of the podium on the south side.

Also, on the north side you can see the beginning of the ripple or wave effect on the 4th and 5th floors for the actual tower.

I knew someone on one of the PH floors, I visited about 5 years ago. I remember it taking forever to get an elevator to get back down.

Not sure about Aura, but looking at other large projects (greater than 65s) ICE II isn't a whole lot better with 6 elevators for 743 units.

Ice is the same sitaution as here - 3 elevators for lower levels and 3 for the higher levels

Aura has 3 sets of three - one for the low rise, one for the middle and one for the upper levels

That would be unusual. There isn't the same demand for elevators in a residential building as there is in an office building. I have friends on the 50th in the Marolyn tower in Mississauga and the elevators are amazing - very fast and very little wait.

Keep in mind elevators are planned and designed for various speeds based on the demand that is expected to be placed upon them. If a 520 unit building has six elevators that have a speed of 800 feet per minute (a common "fast" speed), there will be waits at peak usage periods. Shangri-la has three passenger elevators that serve condo floors 21-48, and three passenger elevators that serve floors 49-65 - and they fly at 1600 feet per minute. No waiting here. They also have a service elevator that served the Shangri-la condos. It's a pretty safe bet that One Bloor will be in the 1200+ feet per minute category to serve all these units.

Shangri-la has three passenger elevators that serve condo floors 21-48, and three passenger elevators that serve floors 49-65 - and they fly at 1600 feet per minute. No waiting here. .

damn that is fast.

CN tower is considered very fast and its 1203 feet per minute.

One thing I always found interesting about Toronto's condos, but especially the larger ones like this, is how amazingly few elevators they have.
According to the floor plans, this building will have 6 elevators to access 789 residential units, or one elevator for every 131 units.

For comparison, I live in a nine-floor mid-rise with 100 units and two elevators - one for every 50 units.

Keep in mind elevators are planned and designed for various speeds based on the demand that is expected to be placed upon them. If a 520 unit building has six elevators that have a speed of 800 feet per minute (a common "fast" speed), there will be waits at peak usage periods. Shangri-la has three passenger elevators that serve condo floors 21-48, and three passenger elevators that serve floors 49-65 - and they fly at 1600 feet per minute. No waiting here. They also have a service elevator that served the Shangri-la condos. It's a pretty safe bet that One Bloor will be in the 1200+ feet per minute category to serve all these units.

I think one Bloor will have much faster elevators because its all-residential, where as Shangri-La is hotel+condo.
Guys am I right or was it just a stupid explanation?

Then I suppose elevator quality and speed should become a factor when looking for a high-floor apartment. It takes about 50 seconds to go from the ground to the 52nd floor at ROCP 1, at a height of about 510 feet - less than 600 ft per minute.

damn that is fast.

CN tower is considered very fast and its 1203 feet per minute.

I'm going from memory, they posted their fast elevator speeds in their "features" during sales but I can't find it now. I was pretty sure it was 1600 fpm but if that's faster than the CN tower, I must be wrong.

Edit: found it -

Elevators
• Centre opening, gearless elevators with high quality finishes.
• Three high-speed 1600 fpm state-of-the art 3000 lb. cabs to service the Private Estate levels.
http://living180university.com/pdfs/specifications_private-estates.pdf

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that up until Taipei 101 got built the CN had the fastest elevators on the planet. So yes, that is damn fast.

Those are good points and I agree with you, but if I were to live in this building, I'd prefer my unit to be higher up on account of the noise at one of Toronto's busiest intersections.

Hi,

Not to turn this discussion about elevators but I thought I would give my experiences: I've lived in a Liberty Village condo (for two years) and now am in a Bay Street condo (for the last one year) and the number of units/elevator is about 80 for each of these buildings (3 elevators for 250 units in LV and 4 elevators for 330 units for the Bay Street building). In both of these buildings, the elevators are of Thyssenkrupp, and I'm not sure if it's the company or what, but 1/2 the time one elevator in both of these buildings would be out of service, essentially resulting in an average of 1 operational elevator per 100 units.

This is the maximum level of tolerance I would have (80-100 units/operating elevator) as the wait times can be quite long in these buildings. Any worse ratio would be too much for me. I don't know what the speed of the elevators are in these two buildings but they are not slow and if One Bloor has the same speed elevators as these buildings, having only six elevators for 789 units is far too little. I'm glad Aura, for all its faults, at least has nine elevators to serve its 800-odd units.

Back