Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

dont worry, history will be replaced with new shinny buildings soon enough.

I didn't know we were getting a public arena at Yonge and Bloor :rolleyes:

Don't really see the big deal with the current southwest corner. The northeast is a mess while the southwest is relatively animated, so I don't know why everyone keeps gunning for that site to be redeveloped. Just because there is nothing tall there doesn't meant that there has to be

I didn't know we were getting a public arena at Yonge and Bloor :rolleyes:

Don't really see the big deal with the current southwest corner. The northeast is a mess while the southwest is relatively animated, so I don't know why everyone keeps gunning for that site to be redeveloped. Just because there is nothing tall there doesn't meant that there has to be
I totally agree

Two of the three corners were destroyed in the 1970's, One Bloor is yet to be seen. Why can't one corner with some charactor be left alone? Perhaps a cleanup of the brick & cornice repair on those buildings would be nice, but let's save some perfectly functional, attractive heritage buildings here.

Two of the three corners were destroyed in the 1970's, One Bloor is yet to be seen. Why can't one corner with some charactor be left alone? Perhaps a cleanup of the brick & cornice repair on those buildings would be nice, but let's save some perfectly functional, attractive heritage buildings here.

Faved!!

Well I can certainly see the case of selective facade retention in the case of the SW corner of Yonge-Bloor. Not sure if I am particularly fond of the Stollery building myself though.

AoD

The Stollerys building is secondary though. It is safe to say that any developer looking to redevelop that site would make a point of trying to buy out surrounding properties for a land assembly - and it is those properties on Yonge immediately south of Bloor that I am reluctant to let go of.

sMT:

That's what I meant re: selective retention - I was referring to the section of Yonge immediately south of Stollery. That said, it will be difficult to recreate the narrow and deep storefronts in the event of redevelopment (which is what creates the retail character).

AoD

Actually yes - in fact, all the buildings sharing the same cornice line are all candidates - just that 774 Yonge street happened to have its' facade cleaned. The fact that you picked it as a candidate for preservation is pretty telling of what worth restoration brings.

AoD

Hmmm from Stollerys down to 760 Yonge street....http://goo.gl/maps/Wz2Ld
...other than the Hue`s Kitchen bldg. at 774 Yonge street, is there really anything that catches your eye and worth keeping:confused:

778, 780 and 784 have nice details behind the paint, signage and overall and grime - and are worth saving. But architecture aside, the reason most of these stores provide such street level animation is the narrow storefronts, mentioned by AoD a few posts back. No new development will recreate those conditions in a massive podium and considering the complete lack of pedestrian friendly retail on any of the other corners, I would be very sad to see these go. I am saying that as someone who gets around on foot and using the TTC - actually having to interact with sidewalk frontage instead of driving past all the tall, pretty and shiny skyscapers at 50km/h without giving the pedestrian realm a thought.

sMT:

That's what I meant re: selective retention - I was referring to the section of Yonge immediately south of Stollery. That said, it will be difficult to recreate the narrow and deep storefronts in the event of redevelopment (which is what creates the retail character).

AoD

I don't understand this, but it does seem to be true. Why are contemporary developers/architects ostensibly incapable of creating narrow, long retail? It seems incredibly obvious that it's the best kind of retail design, and yet no remotely new buildings seem to care to replicate it.

Back