Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Really cool shot. Please post more of these as the building progresses! That parking garage will only be good to take shots from for a few more months, so these shots are gold :D

Really cool shot. Please post more of these as the building progresses! That parking garage will only be good to take shots from for a few more months, so these shots are gold :D

Why what's happening to the parking garage or did you mean the podium of 1 bloor will block your shots?

I just meant that soon enough, One Bloor will be taller than the 5-storey parking garage. I am unaware of any plans to redevelop that garage. Pretty sure it was built fairly recently.

1bj26.jpg

Holy formwork Batman! This is going to be a fun one to watch for sure. That huge staging area and the ease of movement from being near ground level have really sped this project up

I was in the Bloor/Yonge area yesterday and the impact this will have on the street experience will be incredible. Once the large podium is up and the tower begins to rise we'll have a good idea of how it'll feel from the street. It'll be very 'big city.'

I was in the Bloor/Yonge area yesterday and the impact this will have on the street experience will be incredible. Once the large podium is up and the tower begins to rise we'll have a good idea of how it'll feel from the street. It'll be very 'big city.'

True, but Yonge and Bloor seems quite pleasant with the open corner. It's sunny, it doesn't seem as windy as other downtown intersections with high-rise buildings on all the corners. It's more human. Even with the open corner, Yonge and Bloor has the most "big city" feel of any intersection in the impressive volume of people and vehicles that pass through it throughout the day. Other intersections with fewer people can make up for it with large buildings for that "big city" feel, but Yonge and Bloor doesn't need it and might be better off without it. It could have used a public square.

^ I know what you mean junctionist, I'm going to miss the openness of the intersection. But I'm also excited to see the tower go up and I like the design. I wish they had situated the tower at the south east corner of the site.

True, but Yonge and Bloor seems quite pleasant with the open corner. It's sunny, it doesn't seem as windy as other downtown intersections with high-rise buildings on all the corners. It's more human. Even with the open corner, Yonge and Bloor has the most "big city" feel of any intersection in the impressive volume of people and vehicles that pass through it throughout the day. Other intersections with fewer people can make up for it with large buildings for that "big city" feel, but Yonge and Bloor doesn't need it and might be better off without it. It could have used a public square.

The greatest “big city” feeling I get from an intersection is at Adelaide and Bay. The extreme density and narrowness of the street walls going in all four directions and the grandeur of the architecture is what does it for me. For this reason I think this building will have a great effect on the urban feeling of this intersection; the giant gap that this currently occupies stains the area for me currently.

Public squares highlight the buildings around them, and there's nothing worth celebrating at this spot. Thank goodness One Bloor is going up.

Back