Toronto One Bedford | ?m | 32s | Lanterra | KPMB

All I can say is, if they ever touch the exterior (the interior was already redone) of the Colonnade I will attack someone!

As for you guys, chill out.

I walked by One Bedford today and can say that the spandrels I saw were a darker bronze/copper colour than a silver. But yes, the glass is like that of Crystal Blu or 9T6 St. Patrick, in colour and the shape/placement of mullions.

lambert-seagram.jpg

It's only a narrow, marginal, lone-culture-war bunch who know who those Yeah Yeah Yeahs of the Mad Men era were.

September 9 - Update

So the window mullions/framing is indeed a light bronzey colour-- for some reason in the earlier photos it looked silver. Also, earlier photos were perhaps a bit misleading by making the colours look too playful for this project, even too pastel-like. But they are looking much better in person:

sept57.jpg
sept59.jpg

Update by SP!RE (Using Nikon D50)

Last edited:
All I can say is, if they ever touch the exterior (the interior was already redone) of the Colonnade I will attack someone!

As for you guys, chill out.

I walked by One Bedford today and can say that the spandrels I saw were a darker bronze/copper colour than a silver. But yes, the glass is like that of Crystal Blu or 9T6 St. Patrick, in colour and the shape/placement of mullions.

you know what,man, this is not a matter to be dismissed so easily. It's not easy to put forward your views as a first-timer when you're attacked by someone like adma. It's kept me away from this site on several occasions and it starts to feel like there is a small group of discussants that dominate the forum and newcomers are not particularly welcome especially if they try to introduce new elements or ideas to discssions. You're doing the same thing now by shutting down a real discussion about this issue.

Let's talk about stuff and, no, I don't find it "irony" when called a jerk. Once again that's another way to avoid responsibility for nasty behaviour.

Hey, if you want, we can take this conversation off-board, and meet in person. Either I'll inspire you, or I'll molest you...

Awww .... is the loser now bluffing the next saga of his "lone culture war"?

idiots like dt toronto geek should have their testicles ripped out of their body.
you deserve to be kneecapped.

If you wanna dance, we'll dance.

This is really turning into UT's first Spaghetti Western. I think it's best for both parties to take a step back and look at the scenario:

Northern Magus is relatively new to the board and expressed his distaste concerning the Intercontinental hotel. He wishes for what he defines as 'glitzing up' since he believes, rightly, that the environs are changing.

adma, having been around a bit longer, has seen this story play out before. It's the tale of mid-century works of modern architecture being sacrificed to the almighty dollar because they weren't big enough, were deteriorating, or simply had mean patrons. When he hears newer members such as Magus longing for the sort of treatment which emasculated Dickenson's strong, corner-anchoring hotel, he snaps. Furthermore, because he is so frustrated at our effete preservation system and lack of vision when it comes to historical architecture, and in the face of people who would prefer a 21 story, neo-classical skyscraper or some such nonsense, he threatens. Though the Intercontinental itself is not the masterpiece that Dickenson's was, adma warns that it's still important to accept things as they are for when phrases such as 'glitzing up' are tossed around that liberally, things can go very wrong indeed.

Both make points, some more apt than others. adma's case for the Intercontinental is valid, but in the eyes of its owners, I'm sure Magus' arguments about real-estate value and image also hold water. In any case, the boorish posts and limp threats smack of the sort of Keyboard Commando bravado which all to often proliferates far beyond its bounds. This debate is nonetheless important because it touches all aspects of development in Toronto, from the arguments for the preservation of old structures to the realization that some of them are a little beyond saving. Let's, however, keep things civil and keep the discussion focused on the buildings, rather than each others' testicles.

mod needs to come in here and clean up this thread. In the meantime i'm quoting my previous question, since i still got no reply

Ok let's get back on topic

When ready in 2011, how much do you guys think $ per square foot in One Bedford?

I found this development in mid-2007 and I was already too late

Well enough said, ProjectEnd--and given how *I* already made a let's-please-take-this-outside gesture, the most recent posts by urbanvillageboy and Northern Magus were probably the least necessary of all. (And funny how Northern Magus didn't address my ironic invocation of "lone culture war" re Johnson/Mies/Lambert. Does he even know who they are?)

But let's put things into a bigger perspective. Re the Park Plaza addition makeover, it's like what Buildup said: it made sense at the time, and one could be more excused for accepting it *then*, a decade plus ago, and it's now a fait accompli so the argument's moot anyway. However, there's a world of difference between that, and the question of "if you had to do it all over again". Because I'd suppose that had Dickinson's addition survived another ten years, there'd be an absolutely valid argument, today--from high places, even--that its restoration would be, in fact, a classier gesture than an extreme makeover. Remember: it's the post-Wallpaper*, "Mad Men" era, 50s Modernist high style is cool--so, where it cherishably exists, why trash it?

Is Northern Magus even aware of that? Within a 2009 context, to hail the way it was done in 1997 as "classy" is pure parvenu.

And when it comes to the Intercontinental--okay, it's conservative, contextual, "good-mannered" red brick. As I've suggested, in a certain way it's actually a relief from, er, "glitz"; but the way it's being presented here by some, it might as well be as much a blight on the block as anything between One Bedford and the Park Plaza/Hyatt, commercial flotsam and cheap Brutalist skyscrapers alike. It isn't; actually, it would have been conceived quite deliberately as an antidote to all of that. Not that so it's architecturally stellar that I'd absolutely oppose a makeover; but if a makeover is necessary (and perhaps in part for structural reasons, if the brick has that 80s/90s Toronto Pomo way of deteriorating beyond redemption), let it be in the manner of, say, the Hazelton Hotel or even 1 Bedford next door. That way, it'd be an extension rather than a denial of the original's fundamental virtues, such as they were. Otherwise, you could do the opposite and play it bold with something Jean Nouvel-ish (though let the controversy over the Crystal stand as forewarning re too much self-conscious "playing it bold"). But if you're coming from a 2009 "Park Plaza makeover is classy" perspective: honestly, that's the last kind of perspective to be entrusted with such decision-making.

Look: some of you may be pained from being treated like dirt as newbies. But keep in mind the context you're dealing with: when all is said and done, I'm no more "lone culture war" than Urban Shocker or any number of others around here or even in high architectural/design-faculty/urbanist/heritage-organization places. It's a tough universe for unvarnished teenage fanboy savants and well-meaning parvenu amateurs from the 905; face it. (Oops, I did it again with the "nasty behaviour"...)

Please don't keep quoting having me "kneecapped" or having my testicles ripped out. That crap was quite enough to read once, it really makes me angry to keep having to see adama's threats quoted over & over. Thanks!

adma: viciousness and threats are the worst way to sway people to your opinion. You sound like you're about to begin an architecture "crusade" or something. And you are mostly preaching to the converted here anyway. In other words, please quiet down a bit (no, a lot) because you're offending some of us who aren't even part of your argument. We don't want to have to watch it.

Now...

Someone above had a question that still hasn't been answered and I don't have the answer. Anybody who can help them out?

Last edited:
Look: some of you may be pained from being treated like dirt as newbies. But keep in mind the context you're dealing with: when all is said and done, I'm no more "lone culture war" than Urban Shocker or any number of others around here or even in high architectural/design-faculty/urbanist/heritage-organization places. It's a tough universe for unvarnished teenage fanboy savants and well-meaning parvenu amateurs from the 905; face it. (Oops, I did it again with the "nasty behaviour"...)

Excellent wording. Some who enter these hallowed halls know not what others might and may understand even less. It is up to them to make their place here, not complain when their asinine musings go unnoticed or worse, get 'bullied' in return. If a new member is able to come on here and prove their worth, then there are generally few if any problems.

For example, I think the last major success story (not necessarily from a 'taste' standpoint but that is obviously subjective) in this respect is Solaris. His unrelenting work and desire to field questions for others, not to mention setting up thread titles, correcting erred information and generally being a cheerful voice when others simply complain is refreshing. Furthermore, it means that he has carved out his own niche and didn't fall into the traps which members who joined contemporaneously (Ryuinfinity, et. al) seem to have.

This is not just a love-on for Solaris, I simply use him as an example of a member who has more than pulled their own weight and in turn, seems to have had a great time here. I just can't stand when a new member with 3 posts will ask if the crane for 1 Bloor is up, then complain when they are shot down.

Long story short, if you dare come in here (not easy, I know), justify your posts, have insightful commentary, take photos, visit sales offices for information and participate in discussion - it's why we all keep comin' back.

(P.s. - dt_toronto_geek also fits into the 'Solaris' category, IMO, so his testicles and kneecaps are just fine where they are.)

Long story short, if you dare come in here (not easy, I know), justify your posts, have insightful commentary, take photos, visit sales offices for information and participate in discussion - it's why we all keep comin' back.

And, in a way, learn, too--after all, a lot of you are young and/or unseasoned (and I don't mean that snidely, either).

Funny thing with what I said about the Park Plaza addition: in a way (to get back on thread topic), the reverse might pertain to One Bedford, in that much if not all of what previously existed on the site might have been more likely to be retained 20 years ago--or even, bizarrely enough, 40 years ago (cf. Diamond/Myers' York Square at Avenue + Yorkville). Blame changing land values and a certain backlash against facadism (whose folly the mandated retention of the Lyle facade vindicates) for the present solution--even if I was one of those who advocated at least appreciating the expired "One Bedford" block while it lasted, even that underrated 2-storey 60s modernist block opposite the Bedford subway entrance...

Ok let's get back on topic

When ready in 2011, how much do you guys think $ per square foot in One Bedford?

I found this development in mid-2007 and I was already too late

mod needs to come in here and clean up this thread. In the meantime i'm quoting my previous question, since i still got no reply

AndreJeffry, please ask your $ per square foot questions in the Real Estate forum.

The only cleaning I am doing here is removing the 'this forum has gone downhill' stuff, which became unhelpful. Otherwise, Adma did get an official penalty and a reminder that insulting other members is not tolerated. His past threats resulted in reasonably lengthy temporary bannings. That said, when Adma is civil he has a tremendous amount of knowledge which adds to the -yep- high level of discourse on this forum, hence the discussion here is worth reading (not that members here are required to line up exactly with any other member's position).

Back