Toronto One Bedford | ?m | 32s | Lanterra | KPMB

Re: One Bedford

To me it is pure sculpture.

To me too. But more to the point, Ganja, that building has exactly zero resemblance (even in materials) to the commie blocks of Toronto.

Are you really looking at them, or just dismissing them at a glance because of their grim context and questionable urbanism?

"Concrete is ugly" is not a helpful argument.

I find it breathtaking in it's sheer hideousness. Same with the Robarts Library. But you can't not look at them, and they are fine examples of the architecture of their day. I wouldn't want to see them destroyed.

Same goes for the old Huntington Hartford museum on Columbus Circle, now sadly being vandalized in the name of fashion.

I'm surprised there is so little objection to the demolition of the Crepe/Booster Juice building. Couldn't they have kept it and integrated it into the new project?

I like the lower set-backs at One Bedford and the roof gives it a bit of character but I'm really not sure all these glass buildings are going to stand the test of time either. I've been liking them somewhat as I watch them go up, but once people get moved in and curtain/blinds go up, the handsome look of the glass buildings are suddenly diminished. I don't quite get the excitement behind projects like 18 Yorkville, Radio City towers (the Ballet school addition/restoration is truly brilliant), Spire etc. But then I don't like that behemoth Manulife Apartments either.

>>It looks very institutional and I hope that decent retail spaces are incorporated into it.<<

I've never understood this argument. What's wrong with looking institutional, and why is retail necessarily better? That part of town is already well-retailed, and any stores there would probably be more or the same types of stores already in the neighbourhood.

Don't know if you'd classify them as Brutalist, but the Leaside Towers are my favourite examples of architecture of that era (1970).

leaside.jpg

The sight of them looming over the DVP makes me hear Also Sprach Zarathustra in my head.

"I've never understood this argument. What's wrong with looking institutional, and why is retail necessarily better?"

Just look around you. The street life on Bloor St. West or Queen Street West is certainly more interesting, animated and people friendly than walking south on University from College.

That is why looking "institutional" is not necessarily a good thing.

"Street life" isn't everything. I took a detour through the institutional cluster of Provincial government buildings at Wellesley and Bay this morning on the way to work, and I felt quite refreshed after looking at all the art works there. They form a time capsule of the optimistic late-1960's culture of this city, along with the walkways, courts and gardens there.

Actually, there are some great pieces of art and even the architecture, which sometimes has a 60's motif, is at times refreshing and indeed is a good time capsule. Its almost a blessing that our government has no money to 'refresh' these buildings.

I LOVE those leaside towers. So skinny and full of windows. They look like concrete giants coming over the valley.

Also loving the brutlist example. Which building is that?

They form a time capsule of the optimistic late-1960's culture of this city, along with the walkways, courts and gardens there.

Indeed. In fact, I'd moot "Concrete optimism" as a style unto itself. Like the Science Centre, in its original incarnation.

"Concrete is ugly" is not a helpful argument.

I'm not making an argument, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. It's more of an explanation as to why the general public is either indifferent or hostile to these buildings. The word "concrete" itself has negative connotations, ie. when writers describe our concrete jungle or when Dundas Square is described as a sea of concrete.

Or when people make concrete proposals - as opposed to useless ones?

Back