Toronto OCAD U: 100 McCaul | 39.4m | 9s | OCADU | Morphosis

That Aboveground was a weekly stop for me when I went to school there. Would hate to see it go...only hope that is if they put something up here Aboveground would be able to set up shop there (slightly less cluttered space would do them good).

Agreed, it could at least add some flavor to a rather bland stretch of McCaul, especially if restored. It could even be integrated as a shell that could be creatively reinterpreted within the new form- preservation/facadism isn't the only solution.

Regardless as-of-late, Diamond Schmitt's architecture has ranged from relatively bland (their institutional projects) to horrid (if you consider their residential architecture). (edit: oops, misread- but point still stands) I would rather not trade this building off with whatever they're going to propose- especially this proposal which ruins the effect of the Alsop tabletop.

Last edited:
Interesting. So something like one of these studies then, I'm assuming:

CCC pic.jpg

Study A.JPG

Attachments

• CCC pic.jpg
    CCC pic.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 360
  • CCC pic.jpg
    CCC pic.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 373
  • Study A.JPG
    Study A.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Study A.JPG
    Study A.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Study A.JPG
    Study A.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 349
Nice to see that they’ve moved away from the proposed south massing. Lots of challenges here, but the south massing would have been incredibly hard to pull off without compromising one of Toronto’s great public spaces.

Odd as I thought the last planning rationale was to NOT go ahead with the North Tower for the above reasons.

Odd as I thought the last planning rationale was to NOT go ahead with the North Tower for the above reasons.
It would be surprising turnabout again… but I do hope that is what has happened. Maybe the south massing was crated just to scare the local NIMBYs into quitting their whinging about the proposed north massing? It makes way more sense to build at the north end than to compromise the tabletop and park to the south.

It would be surprising turnabout again… but I do hope that is what has happened. Maybe the south massing was crated just to scare the local NIMBYs into quitting their whinging about the proposed north massing? It makes way more sense to build at the north end than to compromise the tabletop and park to the south.

Agree 100%. This proposal always felt more appropriate and moved the height towards Dundas. Also means we keep Aboveground as is which is a nice keepsake.

Back