Oakville Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital Redevelopment | ?m | 2s | Fernbrook Homes

Old Oakville (Trafalgar and Lakeshore) - though you'd have to be rich to live there (as an even more upscale version of Port Credit, with money and broadly WASP pedigree).

AoD
Better pubs.Better restaurants. All in walking distance. So is the GO. No talk of 29 story towers being squashed in everywhere. Room for your hammock. It has an upside.

My brother and sister-in-law lived in 'old Oakville' for many years - and I lived with them for a while. A place south of Lakeshore, one a block north of Lakeshore and the last one right on Reynolds just north of the old hospital. I would shrink the 'real Oakville to south of the QEW. I do think the 'downtown' (along Lakeshore and a block or two back, east and west of Trafalgar) did a pretty decent job of maintaining a sense of community. Pricy place though, and a "town" it ain't.
IMO, areas such as the Glen Abbey Golf course, Dorval Crossing plazas, the apartments by Dorval Crossing, Sheridan College, the apartments located along Trafalgar Rd. are all part of the "real" Oakville. More of the "working class" Oakville, but real Oakville none the less. That's why I included areas just south of Upper Middle.

Some renderings of the townhomes and a few homes I dug up:

IMG_1988.jpeg

IMG_1989.jpeg

IMG_1991.jpeg

IMG_1990.jpeg

Privilege buy many things.

AoD
More timing than anything. When part of my family moved into the area, even within blocks of Trafalgar and Lakeshore, the area was a newish development. The neighbours were recent immigrants and employed at GE. The Ford Plant had opened in 1953 spurring housing. Farm land was everywhere.

Later as a teen, the first housing upgrades on our street and surrounding took place, severances and replacements of older stock. And then in the past twenty years, those houses, and so many more, have been replaced. Whole streets are gone - to be replaced by structures far larger and with aspirations to be far grander.

Then Oakville morphed into farm land by Upper Middle Road. The boundaries to the east and west were Third Line to the west and Ninth Line to the east. Brontë was a slightly down at heel place for underground partying.

Trafalgar and Dundas was the site of the Trafalgar Township town hall and we used to spend more than a few afternoons there with young farmers organizations.

A lot has changed in between.

A car is definitely a must in Oakville. I'm trying to think what is the most walkable neighbourhood in Oakville. Maybe downtown/ Kerr St.?
I would say Kerr. There is no grocery store in downtown Oakville at all.
Plenty of people here in Kerr Village do not have vehicles.

Last edited:

Back