Oakville Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital Redevelopment | ?m | 2s | Fernbrook Homes

The land has sat vacant for years, but is being developed by Fernbrook and advertising has started for it. Called “Lifestyle of South East Oakville”.

As an aside, I grew up in this neighbourhood and the homes are actually quite tasteful and charming. I’m hoping we don’t get stucco monstrosities.
Yeah, it's a beautiful neighbourhood. Lots of nice homes for sure.

I forgot to take photos of the north end, but it looked like Fernbrook has not started any site work yet.

Yeah, it's a beautiful neighbourhood. Lots of nice homes for sure.

I forgot to take photos of the north end, but it looked like Fernbrook has not started any site work yet.
As a further aside, I grew up in the area as well.It is old Oakville for sure ( and two blocks to the pub, which is always a bonus), the housing is varied, ,and has been worked on since I was a kid. And for the most part interesting. It’s also interesting that houses that were new infill or redevelopments on my school years, are now being replaced by larger footprint new builds, but I think there is a shift away from the predominantly stucco look of the earlier 2000’s.

I need to have a look at the Fernbrook site to see what is planned.

And if you look past the Fernbrook Hospital Developement site, there are more then a few larger sites in the greater down town core begging for help - the old post office, the parking lot situations behind both sides of Lakeshore, the old fire station, Kerr Street, Kerr and Lakeshore, Kerr and Speers, the west side of Lakeshore ( west of the bridge ) where the commercial sector is predominately one story, and a few more.

Plenty of room for growth without discussing development around the GO station, or in Brontë Village.

As a further aside, I grew up in the area as well.It is old Oakville for sure ( and two blocks to the pub, which is always a bonus), the housing is varied, ,and has been worked on since I was a kid. And for the most part interesting. It’s also interesting that houses that were new infill or redevelopments on my school years, are now being replaced by larger footprint new builds, but I think there is a shift away from the predominantly stucco look of the earlier 2000’s.

I need to have a look at the Fernbrook site to see what is planned.

And if you look past the Fernbrook Hospital Developement site, there are more then a few larger sites in the greater down town core begging for help - the old post office, the parking lot situations behind both sides of Lakeshore, the old fire station, Kerr Street, Kerr and Lakeshore, Kerr and Speers, the west side of Lakeshore ( west of the bridge ) where the commercial sector is predominately one story, and a few more.

Plenty of room for growth without discussing development around the GO station, or in Brontë Village.
Walking distance to both the King’s Arms and the Queen’s Head, two of my favourites many moons ago.

The former Brantwood school site is in the initial phase of redevelopment, I’ll grab some pictures and make a thread tomorrow.

New project map from the site, taken yesterday.

IMG_1289.jpeg

Oh yeah, that’s definitely going to make a large dent in the housing crisis 😏
the size of the project means this will be a drop in the bucket, but all new supply helps. Even $4 million detached properties like this one.

Those $4 million buyers don't disappear, without this project, they buy an existing $3.8 million house for $4 million to outbid the other buyers, then those other buyers buy a $3.6 million property for $3.8 million to outbid other buyers, and so on... All the way down the chain, working class people are left holding the bag.

The problem here isn't the pricing, it's the low density of it. This should have been a mid-rise development site, not a handful of mansions.

the size of the project means this will be a drop in the bucket, but all new supply helps. Even $4 million detached properties like this one.

Those $4 million buyers don't disappear, without this project, they buy an existing $3.8 million house for $4 million to outbid the other buyers, then those other buyers buy a $3.6 million property for $3.8 million to outbid other buyers, and so on... All the way down the chain, working class people are left holding the bag.

The problem here isn't the pricing, it's the low density of it. This should have been a mid-rise development site, not a handful of mansions.
$4 million for a detach in this market is criminal! Even in Oakville. I'm currently looking at Oakville on HouseSigma.ca and it's showing me detaches in Glen Abbey for less than 2.5 million. With these higher interest rates, your monthly mortgage payments will be astronomical. No wonder they're having difficulties selling.

I lived in Oakville and I just don't see the justification for many of the home prices. One needs a car to get anywhere, most of the retail and restaurants on offer are the same big box and chains that you can find in any other city in Ontario, the traffic and noise pollution is quite high (there is not too much in the way of a quite "small town" feel), there isn't a very considerable unique cultural scene... And with the larger homes with big properties come added expenses to maintain the lawns, landscape, pay for heating and cooling of large spaces with cathedral ceilings and enormous windows which have no practical function... Can someone explain the appeal to me?

I lived in Oakville and I just don't see the justification for many of the home prices. One needs a car to get anywhere, most of the retail and restaurants on offer are the same big box and chains that you can find in any other city in Ontario, the traffic and noise pollution is quite high (there is not too much in the way of a quite "small town" feel), there isn't a very considerable unique cultural scene... And with the larger homes with big properties come added expenses to maintain the lawns, landscape, pay for heating and cooling of large spaces with cathedral ceilings and enormous windows which have no practical function... Can someone explain the appeal to me?
I've lived in Oakville pretty much my whole life. I'll say that the "real" Oakville is everything south of Upper Middle Rd. Once you go north of that, you may as well be in any other part of the GTA. A car is definitely a must in Oakville. I'm trying to think what is the most walkable neighbourhood in Oakville. Maybe downtown/ Kerr St.?

I've lived in Oakville pretty much my whole life. I'll say that the "real" Oakville is everything south of Upper Middle Rd. Once you go north of that, you may as well be in any other part of the GTA. A car is definitely a must in Oakville. I'm trying to think what is the most walkable neighbourhood in Oakville. Maybe downtown/ Kerr St.?

Old Oakville (Trafalgar and Lakeshore) - though you'd have to be rich to live there (as an even more upscale version of Port Credit, with money and broadly WASP pedigree).

AoD

My brother and sister-in-law lived in 'old Oakville' for many years - and I lived with them for a while. A place south of Lakeshore, one a block north of Lakeshore and the last one right on Reynolds just north of the old hospital. I would shrink the 'real Oakville to south of the QEW. I do think the 'downtown' (along Lakeshore and a block or two back, east and west of Trafalgar) did a pretty decent job of maintaining a sense of community. Pricy place though, and a "town" it ain't.

Back