Toronto NXT & NXT2 Condominiums | ?m | 35s | Cresford | a—A

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
I was down there earlier today and snapped some pictures with my cell phone but cant figure out how to upload them....if anyone is interested send me a msg and I will email them off for everyone to see.

Thanks. Frank

April 22nd Picutes of NXT

Here you go.

Sorry for the low res - best I can do with my blackberry.

Attachments

• nxtlakeshore.jpg
    nxtlakeshore.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 237
  • nxtsouthkingsway.jpg
    nxtsouthkingsway.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 232
  • nxtgardiner.jpg
    nxtgardiner.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 240
  • nxtsouthkingsway2.jpg
    nxtsouthkingsway2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 224
  • nxtwinermere.jpg
    nxtwinermere.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 234
  • nxtbeach.jpg
    nxtbeach.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 239
  • nxtqueensway.jpg
    nxtqueensway.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 216
  • nxtqueensway2.jpg
    nxtqueensway2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 219
Good pics from a BB FMC, Thanks!

The new windows in the podium and now daycare area are looking real sweet too, also it looks like the drywall is flying into this place all this week. It will be interesting to see how close they come to the projected closing date of Oct as Cresford has such a poor record for long delays. We shall see.

April 22nd pics

Here are some pics that I took yesterday.

Here is a question I had for a while and was hoping someone would have an answer. As you can see from the first photo, you can see the crane going through the last few floors. Now, is that carne connected all the way to its base (by the foundation) or does the crane shifts up as floors get poured? I thought those cranes are usually installed in elevator shafts but as you can see from the photo, that's not the case...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3660.jpg
    IMG_3660.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_3654.jpg
    IMG_3654.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_3659.jpg
    IMG_3659.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_3656.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_3651.jpg
    IMG_3651.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 224
Not completly sure if it goes all the way to the base but I think it dose, as for it playing apart of the future elevator I also thought that was the case but was recently told otherwise. The entire crane will be pulled out once it is not needed, apparently at that time they have 30 days to send out the first round of proposed occupation dates.

Here are some pics that I took yesterday.

Here is a question I had for a while and was hoping someone would have an answer. As you can see from the first photo, you can see the crane going through the last few floors. Now, is that carne connected all the way to its base (by the foundation) or does the crane shifts up as floors get poured? I thought those cranes are usually installed in elevator shafts but as you can see from the photo, that's not the case...

Thanks in advance!

No. It only goes a few floors down. They get jacked up whenever needed. The hole left by the crane is filled in when it's pushed up.

As for this building. Where is the architectual roof design with the hole in it? Was it left out? Is this The Cheapening?

Thanks for your reply Khris!
Now I don’t understand how the crane goes from resting on a 4’ or 5’ deep concrete slab (at foundation level) to a 6” slab as it rests on floor plates when it gets raised…. I am not a structural engineer or anything but it doesn’t make sense to me.

A further detail to the information in the how stuff works article on cranes - the example shown is of a top crawler crane - the type of crane which adds incremental sections to the top, while continuing to extend all the way to the ground. Top crawler cranes are used in many jurisdictions, including London, where there was a major crane accident in Canary Wharf, when adding a section to the top of a crane approximately ten years ago, and the entire crane fell down. In Toronto, bottom crawler cranes are generally used for taller buildings. After the initial installation of the crane on a concrete base at the bottom of the excavation, when the building has reached a point where the crane needs to be raised, hydrolic jacks are used to slowly lift the base of the crane up to the next level. The jacks are then raised up to position them for the next lift of the crane. I think the base of the crane extends about four or five floors into the building at any given time.

When the time comes for the tower crane to be removed, if the job is within range of a mobile crane, after lifting all the crane pieces down, the last hoists from the mobile crane would be lift up the cement bucket loads needed to patch the hole in the roof where the tower crane used to be.

AHK

The Crane gets wedged in the in the crane hole with metal wedges, and the building in essesnce is placing cross pressure , plus at the bottom of the crane I beams are placed across to stop it falling, and under that below each level it is underpinned for support.

I heard the crane is being dismantled sometime next week, look for it (or not).

Hope that helps.

First time I seen a building sitting overhead beyond the street edge. It is almost 3' west of the curb
IMG_april-28-10-0054.jpg

IMG_april-28-10-0057.jpg

I'm not a fan of how oppressively wide this thing is, and it's relationship to the ye olde townhomes along the Queensway is terrible.

I'm not a student of architecture but it looks fine to me. Like how it's protected from the main street by the townhomes.

Back