Toronto NXT & NXT2 Condominiums | ?m | 35s | Cresford | a—A

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
I'll just ask this one more time, since I think I'm becoming a broken record.

Did any of you who took photos of this recently notice the architectual hole in the roof?

nxtp.jpg

Please keep the Real Estate discussion in the Real Estate forum. All further real estate posts in the P&C forum will be deleted.

Did any of you who took photos of this recently notice the architectual hole in the roof?

nxtp.jpg

The overall roof structure does not seem to be as pronounced as the render and, no, there is no hole at the moment (unless they are making one later).

No hole in the roof.

I'm not a fan of how oppressively wide this thing is, and it's relationship to the ye olde townhomes along the Queensway is terrible.

Also feel likes its an oppressively wide, looks more like a 70s slab then a modern condo tower.

I've certainly liked this city's move to point towers from slabs, but I've been thinking about this one, so here's why for me this is no ordinary slab, and certainly not oppressive: first, oppressive slabs normally feature vast expanses of bricks or precast, or at worst, aluminum. This one is nearly all shiny glass, so it's too animated by reflections to be oppressive. Second, there's that mischievous angle: the north end of the building angles out ever so slightly. I can't think of another building that has such an underplayed tweak, and that hits me as the little mark of genius in the project: it's subtle, but it changes everything.

Finally I like how the north-south length of this building emphasizes how much space there is between the Gardiner and the Queensway here. Way back when, this site had just a small Stelco plant on it, and the Queensway felt like it was another Gardiner, and not a street serving neighbourhoods. Now the townhouses are rubbish architecturally, but between them and the towers here, the place actually feels urban, and again, with the width of NXT and soon NXT2, it feels like more than just a strip of urbanity, it feels more substantial...

so I approve.

First time I seen a building sitting overhead beyond the street edge. It is almost 3' west of the curb
IMG_april-28-10-0054.jpg

Yup, another thing I like about the complex!

I assume that it has only been achieved here because the streets here are all part of the condominium complex, and are not public streets, where overhangs like that are completely verboten.

Three cheers for the aA parts of this complex!

Judging by Cresford's marketing renderings in the Condo Guide, the hole in the roof is on NXT2.

no I am pretty certain that the 'hole' in the roof was supposed to be atop NXT1 ... NXT2 was suppose to be only getting a flat boxy roof ~

check out the renderings on the offical website:
(NXT2 on the left, NXT1 on the right)
NXT.jpg

no I am pretty certain that the 'hole' in the roof was supposed to be atop NXT1 ... NXT2 was suppose to be only getting a flat boxy roof ~

NXT.jpg

Agreed; pretty sure the roof was meant for NXT.

Maybe they're going to punch a hole in it after the roof is done?

One can hope, although it doesn't make a big diff for me, just that it would be nice that they adhere to the render.

I would be shocked if the popped the hole after it was already up on the building...seems like something that should have been done at ground level.....
but who knows...another thing i was speculating is that the structure that is currently at the top is only acting as a mold (or placeholder) for when they bring the actual crown on top because it does look like they cheaped out on it...

However, once your in the building and you see how incredible everything is coming along, that crown becomes completely irrelevant.

Thanks for the updates fmcristiano; the two which are more pertinent to Real Estate were moved to the NXT thread in that subforum. Please consider the distinction for future posts!

NXT.jpg

Is it just me or do the renderings look more like a steel structure should be up there rather than that horrible concrete slab they have propped up on the actual building?

The rendering seems to indicate that the final plan is to uplight the top slab in the evening for dramatic effect... which might make it look less horrible to you... but yeah, so much less dramatic without the circle cut out of it. I can't imagine that they are going to cut it out now though...

Hard to know if it was actually cheaper not to build the forms to produce a circle in the slab than it was to just pour more concrete... but if so, then this was a very definite and dreadful instance of The Cheapening™. I still like this building quite a bit though, and hope that there is still some happy surprise in store for us... but I am not unreservedly optimistic in that regard.

Back