477     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 540     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
I think you're exactly right about what they plan to do there, Patriot.

Also, saw this on Torontoist... that little infill project in The Junction now has a Starbucks:

20101126starbucks.jpg

IMAGE CREDIT: Torontoist.com

New Sobey's coming together at College Park

Is that what's going in there? I'm surprised that Metro doesn't have some sort of clause that gives them the right to be the sole supermarket in the complex. Or at the very least I'd have expected the landlord to not invite a second grocery store for fears of alienating their prime tenant. Not that it wouldn't be handy (I hate the layout of the Metro, and find it overcrowded), I just wasn't expecting it.

If ever the College Park park gets properly remade (I'm sure it's just a matter of time, with all of the new construction) that spot would have been perfect for 2 or 3 bars/restaurants

Really? I didn't know that. I thought they were only going in malls for now.

I thought Joe Fresh was only built into Loblaws stores. The location at Queen & Portland is also a Loblaws.

\/\/\/ thanks, just read the article you posted.

Last edited:
Joe Fresh recently announced it is going to start doing stand-alone stores in Ontario.

Is that what's going in there? I'm surprised that Metro doesn't have some sort of clause that gives them the right to be the sole supermarket in the complex. Or at the very least I'd have expected the landlord to not invite a second grocery store for fears of alienating their prime tenant. Not that it wouldn't be handy (I hate the layout of the Metro, and find it overcrowded), I just wasn't expecting it.

If ever the College Park park gets properly remade (I'm sure it's just a matter of time, with all of the new construction) that spot would have been perfect for 2 or 3 bars/restaurants

yeah that area's going to have some grocery wars soon with metro and sobeys at college park, and the mega loblaws coming to maple leaf gardens

Hudson's Bay revamping restaurants at 24 locations

TORONTO— The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, Feb. 02, 2011 11:56AM EST

Hudson's Bay Co. says it will revamp 24 in-store restaurants as part of a move to rework itself as a high-end department store.

The chain, which has recently introduced numerous chic clothing brands in an effort to change its image, says it is partnering with upscale restaurant operator Oliver & Bonacini and food services company Compass Group Canada.

The company says it wants to attract "die-hard foodies" while offering higher quality options to shoppers.

Ontario-based Oliver & Bonacini will focus on flagship locations in major Canadian cities while Compass will handle technology and facelifts at smaller stores.

The Bay's largest store on Queen Street in Toronto will get renovations, a new conference facility, restaurant and food hall. The store's Arcadian Court banquet hall will also be renovated.

Construction will begin in April and should be complete in 16 months.

I wonder which ones will get new O&B locations in GTA? My guess is just 5: Queen St, Bloor St, Yorkdale, Sherway, Square One - maybe Fairview?

Please, please turn the Arcadian Court back to what it used to look like before the most recent renovation. Or, better still, do a "Carlu" on it and turn it back to what it looked like originally.

Please, please turn the Arcadian Court back to what it used to look like before the most recent renovation. Or, better still, do a "Carlu" on it and turn it back to what it looked like originally.

Over on the Hudson's Bay thread, there's an article that ran in the Star that promises to restore it to its "former glory." I really do hope this does mean doing a Carlu. Having a top restaurant with the original decor would be a real draw.

Does anyone know what is replacing the Levis on Yonge street just north of Dundas Square?

There is NO for lease sign. There is a building permit sign.

Hopefully a high quality store will move in. The whole block is deteriorating quickly with the demolition of the Empress Hotel and Sam the Record Man building.

The MEXX on Queen St. W. closed. Not sure when it closed, but it looks recent, as the store is a huge mess. More and more retail is closing on Queen West. This winter must be really tough on street retail. It's been relentlessly cold, and that doesn't make people want to walk outside.

The MEXX on Queen St. W. closed. Not sure when it closed, but it looks recent, as the store is a huge mess. More and more retail is closing on Queen West. This winter must be really tough on street retail. It's been relentlessly cold, and that doesn't make people want to walk outside.

What else closed ? Nike, I think a couple other places as well ?

Back