535     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 582     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
The moral of the story is always hire a British (or Rhodesian) producer.

And I'm boycotting Golden Griddle because once we were served water in dirty glasses. Yeah, that's all, but they were *really* dirty...

As we rattled through Chinatown east on the 504 this morning I noticed that a Spring Rolls has opened at Broadview and Gerrard. I've never been in one, but I believe that they are beloved of the young people, so I thought I'd mention it.

american apparell is opening a location next to sunrise records on yonge st

MEDIA ALERT

For immediate release
Tuesday, October 31, 2006

World-Famous Radio City Rockettes to Perform

at Holt Renfrew’s Annual Window Unveiling

Toronto, Ontario … The Radio City Rockettes will celebrate the launch of the holiday season with Holt Renfrew at the second annual public unveiling of their Bloor Street holiday windows on Tuesday, November 7, 2006 at 7:00 PM.

The Radio City Rockettes will perform at the unveiling along with a special musical performance by the Philosopher Kings generously sponsored by American Express. Emceed by Entertainment Tonight’s Cheryl Hickey and Roz Weston, the celebration on Bloor Street will conclude with a dramatic unveiling of Holt Renfrew’s ‘Merry Making Mischief’ windows officially launching the holiday season. An exclusive holiday shopping evening will follow from which Holt Renfrew will donate 2% of sales from the evening to the Children’s Wish Foundation, a charity that is dedicated to working within the community to fulfill heart-felt wishes for children diagnosed with a high-risk, life-threatening illness.

Evening Schedule:
6:30 PM –Media Arrival
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM – Window Unveiling and Performance

About The Radio City Christmas Spectacular: See the world-famous Radio City Rockettes in The Radio City Christmas Spectacular as the beloved holiday production makes its Canadian debut in 2006. Toronto’s Hummingbird Centre will present the 2006 edition of The Radio City Christmas Spectacular, starring the Radio City Rockettes, between November 14 and December 31, 2006 for 84 dazzling performances. Famed dance numbers featured in this production include “The Parade of the Wooden Soldiers†and “The Living Nativity,†both of which have been performed in The Radio City Christmas Spectacular since 1933. In addition to the traditional favourites, the stage will come alive with eye-popping contemporary scenes such as, “Christmas in New York,†a high-kicking Rockette number direct from New York City.

About Holt Renfrew
With 9 stores in locations in major centers across Canada, Holt Renfrew delights with beautiful fashions presented in style. For over 165 years, Holt Renfrew has been renowned for offering its customers the highest standard of excellence in customer service, merchandise quality and selection in its 9 stores across Canada. Holt Renfrew locations across the country include: Toronto (3), Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. For additional information on Holt Renfrew please visit our website www.holtrenfrew.com.

Media Contact:
Helen Nestor, PR and Promotions Manager
The Hummingbird Centre for the Performing Arts

Malls morph into 'lifestyle centres'
Nov. 3, 2006. 07:17 AM
DANA FLAVELLE
BUSINESS REPORTER
www.thestar.com

Mall developers have rediscovered Main Street.

Fifty years after the first strip plaza was created to serve North America's booming post-war suburbs, developers are going back to the drawing board.

They're coming up with something they call "lifestyle centres," vast open air developments that combine shopping with homes, office space, restaurants and entertainment.

They're all centred on a leafy "main street" where consumers are encouraged to stroll and sip coffee, rather than rush into their favourite discount outlet to make a purchase, and then rush off.

Doggy drinking stations, children's playgrounds and open-air fire pits are among the many amenities designed to encourage lingering, an International Council of Shopping Centres conference heard in Toronto yesterday.

Driving the trend is changing demographics as aging baby boomers, who flocked to the suburbs, now want to "trade in the white picket fence for the wrought iron above the Starbucks," said Michael McCarty, head of Simon Property Group, a leading U.S. lifestyle centre developer.

As well, mall developers are reaching out to non-traditional partners, including residential and office builders, to fill the space above the stores as a wave of consolidation eliminates many retailers, McCarty said.

The centres, more common in the southern United States, are starting to migrate north despite doubts about how well they'd do in colder climates, the conference heard.

They're popping up in such places as Arlington, Va., and Salt Lake City, Utah, where "they're all home-run successes," said Ian Thomas, a retail consultant at Thomas Consultants in Vancouver. "They've been totally accepted in the U.S. They're just starting in Canada."

These open-air lifestyle centres are less expensive to build than enclosed shopping malls but have more curb appeal than suburban power centres, which are little more than vast parking lots surrounded by large, colourless, box-shaped stores, the conference heard.

Eighteen months after the first Canadian lifestyle centre opened in West Vancouver, called The Village at Park Royal, several more are either at the planning, construction or municipal approval stage, the conference heard.

Among them:

The Don Mills Centre, a remake of Cadillac Fairview's 50-year-old mall in Don Mills, will include a town square, open-air shops, condos and entertainment.

Park Place, a proposed upscale retail, restaurant, hotel, entertainment and industrial site in Barrie with an eight-hectare environmentally protected park.

Downtown Markham, a $3 billion development that will include condos, shops, offices, a city park, and town square on a site owned by The Remington Group.

But some Canadian investors worry that we don't have the weather or disposable income to support these U.S.-inspired centres.

"In the view of some institutional investors, we're in uncharted waters. There's a healthy dose of skepticism about whether these centres will work in all seasons," Perry Caicco, an analyst with CIBC World Markets, told the conference. Canadian consumers are highly cost conscious and may not be willing to pay the prices necessary to cover all the amenities, he said.

As well, Canadian retailers will be reeling from the arrival this fall of Wal-Mart's first Supercentres, Caicco predicted.

From the Bulletin online site.... Front & Sherbourne Gas station status...

It's been sitting empty for some time now..
---

2006-11-07 - Neighbourhood gets pumped about gas station

After decades of service, the Esso station at Front and Sherbourne closed its doors in February 2006, leaving the Neighbourhood lacking a local gas pump.

Jim Stonley and Zafar Khokhar, the former co-managers of the station, are planning to re-open the station in early 2007.

"Our plan is to re-open this site as a brand new facility that will be independently owned but fuelled by the Esso Brand," Stonley offers. "We will be open 24 hours and have a convenience store on site. We are hoping to add a competitive coffee outlet as soon as plans can be arranged."

Stonley predicts an opening day in the New Year "during January [or] February. We look forward to serving this community and would like to welcome all customers new and old to stop by and see us."

New Topic...
I walked by Richmond and Church today and noticed that a store called "A Taste Above" is opening. The description was a bit confusing on the poster. It seemed to suggest that it was some sort of kitchen? Or maybe I mis-read it.
Anyone have any info on this place?

I've been confused about it since the summer. Is it a store? A showroom? A restaurant?

Noon of my frieds in the foodie biz know anthing about it. I wish they'd open so we can what the deal is.

It should be opening soon. I walked by yesterday and there was quite a bit of stock displayed. Their website is cryptic, to say the least, as it is more of a call for Franchisees, rather than a description of the business itself.

I agree cd. I just can't bring myself to use 'check' instead of 'cheque'. They just look like two different words to me!! So, what's silly to me would likely be dandy to dashingdan.

Sorry to respond to this so late, but I just wanted to say that "check" looks wrong to me, and I prefer "cheque".

And I like "theatre" and "honour", but not "colour". Although it really depends on the day of the week.

And hearing someone pronounce it "leftenant" sounds funny to me, since I grew up watching Star Trek.

Still, to me -ise in most words (e.g. not advertise) looks strange (e.g. prioritise or analyse) and i prefer the -ize (prioritize and analyze). Obviously if you wrote "advertize" that would be just plain wrong. But my Oxford (non-Canadian) dictionary says that -ize isn't particular to the United States and its perfectly fine to use in certain words, like Americanize or whenever you're just adding -ize willy-nilly I guess, IIRC.

But yeah, so since Canadian spellings are just a mixture of British and American spellings, its fine to pick and choose, although by doing so it would throw off both Brits and Americans and confuse them with British and American terms and spellings they aren't familiar with, which is somewhat humorous (humourous just looks wrong).

And I like "theatre" and "honour", but not "colour". Although it really depends on the day of the week.

In general, you should be consistent or it's considered bad style. Either go with the u or drop them in all relevant words.

(humourous just looks wrong).

It is wrong.

In general, you should be consistent or it's considered bad style. Either go with the u or drop them in all relevant words.

lol you're probably right. inconsistency does look bad.

Nov. 8, 2006. 06:24 AM
KIM HONEY

The heart of the Oakville Entertainment Centrum resembles a contrived village, like Whistler without mountains or Disneyland without rides.
Instead of stores or houses, there are restaurants painted various shades of pastel and primary colours, with contrasting awnings.
The bright red posts of the street lamps line no boulevards or avenues. Rather they beat a path to the 24-screen AMC theatre, a 95,000-square-foot behemoth that breaches from the concrete and dwarfs everything in its shadow. It is a place of such excess that not only is the Becel topping free, but you can pump it onto your popcorn yourself.
The neon AMC logo is the most prominent part of the centrum visible from the nearby Queen Elizabeth Way at Winston Churchill Blvd., where 125,000 cars whiz by each day. A Family Fitness centre occupies one corner, while the Putting Edge — a popular, glow-in-the-dark mini-putt spot for birthday parties — is tucked away off the pedestrian walkway.
There's a rare spot of green space smack dab in the centre, complete with mature trees and a small stream, volleyball courts and picnic tables. You can't see it from the vast parking lot, mainly because it's sunken, so far below street level it is positively subterranean. The four access gates are locked.
Neither shopping malls nor power centres, centrums — which have been popping up in suburban spaces from Kanata to Oakville in the past decade — are a strange hybrid of food and entertainment. They're like a plaza for the perpetually hungry and a smorgasbord for those starving for celluloid.
"It's sort of like a streetscape turned inside out in terms of the pedestrianization," says University of Toronto sociologist Joe Hermer, who has studied a movement called town centre management in British urban areas. "They're trying to co-opt the feeling of walking down a lively downtown street. The irony of it is you have to drive to it."
Hermer, a Toronto resident, has never heard of the centrum before, and neither have some of the students and colleagues he asks. "It sounds like an Oxford quad gone crazy," he quips, referring to the square of green space commonly found at the heart of university campuses.
Even after a recent lunch hour visit, he can't quite get a bead on it, saying it has a transient feel.
"These are spaces in which you don't do anything, but you travel through," he explains, pointing to the lack of benches or any common space where people could congregate. "They're sort of conduits for transportation."
In 2000, when the Town of Oakville conferred an urban design award on the centrum, the jury described it as "totally unusual and extraordinary," and noted the architects and developers were being recognized for using the pedestrian space as an organizing feature. The jury did feel the centrum could benefit from more trees "to reinforce the urban street character" and a more "animated" architectural design.
The outdoor entertainment complex is a modified version of an American phenomenon that developer PenEquity Management Corp. calls an "open-air lifestyle centre." (PenEquity's next project is the Metropolis, an indoor mall across from Dundas Square that will house a 24-screen AMC theatre and four restaurants.)
PenEquity coined the word centrum as a branding device, choosing the word to convey its vision of the outdoor plaza as a focal point for the region.
The U.S. concept originated in Dallas in 1995 when AMC Theatres opened its first 24-screen megaplex. For years, big cinemas had been relegated to the basements and back lots of shopping malls. But the megaplex, with 4,700 seats, demanded bigger space and a bigger population to draw from. The theatres became anchor tenants for large outdoor developments.
When AMC decided to expand into Canada in 1996, the chairman of PenEquity Management (an asset manager of pension funds) struck up a personal relationship with the theatre chain. That's how it became its developer of choice, according to PenEquity president and CEO David Johnston.
The idea was to entice moviegoers into repeat visits. PenEquity studied the Block at Orange in Los Angeles, which employs retail, food and entertainment venues as bait, though the theatre is the main draw.
By situating the Oakville development next to major highways, it allowed the theatre to cater to a region, rather than any one city. And so the Oakville Entertainment Centrum, which opened in 1998, attracts patrons from Burlington to the west, Mississauga to the east and Milton to the north.
The Kanata Centrum outside Ottawa, the largest in PenEquity's stable at 92 acres, looks the most like the American version, with a mix of retail and restaurants. The AMC theatre opened there in 1999. The Whitby Centrum opened the same year. And the Mississauga Centrum opened in 2001 at Hurontario St. and Courtney Park Dr.
But the locations in Canada, designed to draw in that regional crowd, weren't typically in areas zoned for retail. And so the Canadian version was born.
"You want to create a sense of place for the pedestrian," says Johnston. "You want to walk through the centre without feeling threatened by cars."
Indeed, it's something that is not lost on Oakville parent Christine Rzepecki. "Parents can drop their kids off and arrange to pick them up, and they've got so much money to spend. They can go to the movie and then get something to eat. What can they get into around here?"
Her family of five doesn't eat out often because it's expensive. But the kids love East Side Mario's, and she and her husband sometimes visit Tasty Thai.
The 32-acre Oakville site was further constrained by the "green space," otherwise known as a 100-year storm pond, so named because, once in a 100 years, there is a storm of such magnitude that it floods.
That's one of the reasons the site was available for development.
"It was something people couldn't work out," says Leger Xavier, PenEquity's vice-president of leasing and marketing. "We tried to use it as a feature." It's typically open in the summer, but it's locked off-season to prevent loitering.
Hermer describes the mix of uses as "a bit of a dog's breakfast ... trying to figure out what people want," but to PenEquity, it all makes perfect sense.
"The idea is not about working out and going to eat and then going to a movie," says Xavier. " ... It's about repeat visitation."
There are nine restaurants now, and only four — Tasty Thai, Crazy Sushi, Rosie McGee's Irish Pub and the Souvlaki Hut — are not chains. Boston Pizza, East Side Mario's and Alice Fazooli's have Italian food covered off, while Subway Sandwiches and Caffé Demetre, which offer lunch and brunch, round out the card.
Another big chain restaurant, the steak-and-rib joint Baton Rouge, is now under construction, and the Oakville institution Trattoria Timone is renovating the old Wolfgang Puck space right now.
PenEquity says it is trying to offer variety at different prices. And so you have the soccer teams trooping in to Boston Pizza on Sunday at lunch for pitchers of pop and slabs of pie, and office workers celebrating a colleague's birthday at the mid-range Italian eatery, Alice Fazooli's. The latter even offers Italian lessons over the speakers in the restrooms, while the waiter may recommend a glass of Australian shiraz or a Coor's Light in the same breath.
The same principle behind the multiplex theatre is at work. In other words, says Johnston, it's about choice: "If I go there with my family and I can't get into East Side Mario's, I can walk to Alice Fazooli's."After open-air entertainment complexes were built in the late '80s and early '90s, Johnston says they proved that offering more choice actually helps individual restaurants to bump up their sales.
That's what the upscale Trattoria Timone is banking on. Mike Fronteddu is moving his restaurant from Lakeshore Rd. E. to the centrum space and expects to open Feb. 1.
"I'm really pumped up about it," says Fronteddu.
His seating space will almost double, from 84 to 154, but a third of that will be devoted to a lounge, where he plans to cater to the pre- and post-theatre crowd with a smaller menu and wines by the glass. He's mulling over a children's menu, and is encouraged by feedback from regulars who work near the centrum and say they'd definitely go there for business lunches.
"There's a lot of restaurants there, but not high-end restaurants," the restaurateur says. As for the fact that Puck, Gordon Biersch and Café Tu Tu Tango all failed in the centrum, Fronteddu notes all three were owned by the same company. "There shouldn't be a reason why we don't succeed here. Unless we're not good and, in that case, that's what happens."

Posted AT 5:10 PM EST ON 15/11/06
Limited Brands buys La Senza
Canadian Press

MONTREAL — Canadian lingerie retailer La Senza Corp. is being acquired by Limited Brands Inc., the owner of long-time American rival Victoria's Secret, in a $710-million (Canadian) deal.

The friendly deal, announced late Wednesday, would see Columbus, Ohio-based Limited Brands scoop up all the outstanding shares of La Senza for $48.25 per share in cash.

The offer represents a premium of 47.8 per cent based on the $32.65 closing price for La Senza shares on the Toronto Stock Exchange on Tuesday.

The transaction continues a recent trend of well-known Canadian companies in retail, mining and energy being acquired by foreign buyers.

Earlier this year, iconic miners Falconbridge and Inco Ltd. were bought by Swiss and Brazilian companies. As well, CP Ships, Fairmont Hotels, Four Seasons Hotels. Centurion International Energy and Hudson's Bay Co. have all been bought by companies or investors in Europe, the Middle East and the United States.

La Senza, which dominates the Canadian market for lingerie and related products, had put itself up for sale earlier this year.

“We have been careful to choose the right partner and the right opportunity to benefit our organization, not only in Canada, but throughout the world,†said La Senza chairman and CEO Irv Teitelbaum in a release.

“Given our companies' similar characteristics, we believe Limited Brands, together with Victoria's Secret, are ideal partners for us. This combination represents a major strategic step forward enabling us to continue to further pursue La Senza's growth opportunities.â€

As part of the deal, Mr. Teitelbaum and vice-chairman Stephen Gross will remain in their respective positions, together with Laurence Lewin, president and chief operating officer who co-founded La Senza in 1990.

The trio together with all of the other holders of multiple voting shares, representing an aggregate of 48 per cent of La Senza's outstanding stock, have signed a lock-up agreement in connection with the deal.

La Senza will remain headquartered in Montreal. The company owns and operates 318 stores in Canada, and licensees operate a further 327 stores in 34 other countries.

“La Senza is a great strategic fit with our intimate apparel business, and their international infrastructure, real estate expertise, and operating model will also be great assets to us as we look to enhance our capabilities to meet our strategic growth initiatives internationally,†said Leslie Wexner, chairman and chief executive officer of Limited Brands.

Limited Brands owns and operates 3,534 stores under the Victoria's Secret, Bath & Body Works, Express, Limited Stores and other brand names in the United States.

Hollie Shaw, Financial Post
Published: Thursday, November 16, 2006
Halfway through a two-year integration of the A&P supermarket chain in Ontario, Quebec-based grocer Metro Inc. would like to extend its reach across Canada.
"We first have to complete the integration of A&P and following that, we would look at any opportunity to expand out west," chief financial officer Richard Dufresne said after the company posted strong third-quarter earnings yesterday.
"That's if [a chain] becomes available, which is, to me, the biggest question."
Analysts say Metro would face a tough fight with Nova Scotia-based Sobeys Inc. if either Canada Safeway Ltd. or Overwaitea Food Group were put on the block. Vancouver-based billionaire Jim Pattison owns the 124-store Overwaitea business and industry watchers predict he would be more likely to sell his chain than U.S.-based Safeway Inc., which operates 215 stores between B.C. and Manitoba and would give Sobeys or Metro a much-desired national reach.
Metro has been running a close third behind Sobeys since acquiring A&P's 236 Ontario stores last year for $1.7-billion. Industry leader Loblaw Cos. has seen its core food business suffer as it built large superstores during the past two years to compete with Wal-Mart Canada Corp.'s new grocery stores in Ontario.
Fourth-quarter profit soared 57% at Metro to $78.9-million, or 68 cents a share, from $50.2-million (48 cents) in the same period a year ago. Sales in the quarter ended Sept. 30 shot up 37% to $2.67-billion from $1.95-billion.
Excluding the one-time costs and gains, profit would have risen 41% to $71-million (61 cents). Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call were anticipating earnings per share of 57 cents.
Sales at stores open at least a year, a key measure of retailing strength, rose 1.4%. Gross margin, the percentage of sales left after operating expenses, rose to 6.5% from 5.4%.
"It's impressive how quickly they have been able to improve the margins," said John Chamberlain, retail analyst at Dominion Bond Rating Service. "I thought the Ontario market would be too tough to do it so quickly, but they have surprised us there."
Metro has been able to reduce costs by improving operating efficiency and cutting better deals with its suppliers. The company increased its cost-cutting goals in August but said yesterday that it could beat its earlier estimates of trimming annual operating costs by $70-million next year.
The retailer has renovated or expanded 49 stores in the past year and is aiming to have its entire store network in a more modern format in three years.
"There is no doubt that we have a big year ahead of us," chief executive Pierre Lessard told a conference call with analysts. In addition to renovating and relocating stores, the retailer is working on a large-scale integration of its IT systems and will also improve its private-label food program, he said.

Back