579     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
www.theglobeandmail.com/s...al/Ontario

Motorcycle community loses icon
McBride Cycle bankrupt after 97 years
OLIVER MOORE

The venerable Toronto institution that is McBride Cycle closed its doors abruptly this week after nearly a century serving the city's motorcycle community.

A sign on the door said the Junction-area business had shut indefinitely for inventory. But service manager Patrick Corcoran told a different story.

"Closed down, bankrupt," he said yesterday.

The news came as a shock to many, particularly those who had their bikes in for service when the shop closed. Mr. Corcoran was still at the garage, however, helping the steady stream of people with trailers and pickups retrieve their motorcycles.

"We're not officially here. I'm paying the guys out of my pocket to finish off the bikes we've got," Mr. Corcoran said as he helped a customer load his machine. "The bailiff is putting a lock on the gate at 4 p.m. Saturday."

The store owners were not available for comment. They weren't talking, but everybody else was.

The business was said to have suffered when the founder's grandson, John McBride, split off to start his own shop, Riders Choice.

"The guy that was doing the heavy lifting had left," said Vic Richards, who runs Big Brute V8 Super Cycles and is Mr. McBride's landlord in Mississauga.

Mr. McBride said the assessment was valid. He blamed a "difference of opinion" in the family for the split a year and a half ago, and offered acid comments about those left in charge.

"I worked 27 years and there was no financial troubles," he said in an interview from his new store. "Unless you know what you're doing in the motorcycle business, you can't make any money."

As the news spread through the local motorcycle community, opinions varied between those who felt a piece of history was gone and those who denounced McBride Cycle for being consistently overpriced.

A staffer at Cycle World who did not want to be identified said the abrupt closing had been the "talk of the town" since word got out. "It's the buzz of the industry right now," she said.

Started in 1909 by Percy A. McBride, the store began by selling American-made Hendersons from a building on College Street. It moved later to a series of locations on Queen Street before taking up its current spot on Dundas Street West, near Keele Street.

The list of makes sold by the store could fill a book on motorcycle history. They included AJS (built by Albert John Stevens), Francis-Barnett, Royal Enfield, Indian, Brough Superior, Rudge, BSA, Ariel and Lambretta.

The store rode the wave of the Japanese invasion of the 1960s, the same decade Percy died, and the business was taken over by Marty McBride, John's father.

Until this week, the store remained a major presence in Toronto and the effect of its closing remain to be seen. Among other issues, it is the only authorized Triumph dealer in the city.

The proprietors also own McBride Extreme Sports, a nearby bicycle shop that one local cyclist said had not been prospering.

"The bicycle shop wasn't doing that great, wasn't that busy," Mike Comello said. "I always thought, and this is just a guess, that the motorcycle shop was carrying it."

That store's doors were also locked yesterday, with a sign saying the closing was due to a temporary inventory. A person was visible pushing bicycles around inside but he did not respond to repeated thumps on the door.

Toronto Retail Thread

AP, would you happen to know what is going in beside Kultura, in the vacant space? I think it's leased out.

Also, they seem to be doing quite a bit of construction in the locations that formerly housed Coffee Time and Chocolate (surely one of the weirdest vibes in a restaurant that I recall, having dined there once). It looks like they are combining it into one big space but I'm not sure if it is leased out yet.

I don't have a clue what is going in there - I'm dying to know.

Chocolate - that's what when TU. I ran by there the other night and couldn't remember what had been in that space.

Brantford's never done as poorly as it looks by the bombed-out downtown and collapsed farm-implement industry--thank the 403 and the symbiotic proximity to Hamilton and Waterloo Region for that...

The completion of the 403 is probably the best thing that's happened to the town for a while.

AP, would you happen to know what is going in beside Kultura, in the vacant space? I think it's leased out.

This just in...It's Poggen Phol kitchens. The sign was in the window and they were varnishing the floors tonight.

No, a high end kitchen store. A nice foil to Aga across the street, and that other kitchen place in the SAS building.

A Canadian Greek restaurant chain, Mr. Greek, said it plans its first U.S. restaurant in Puyallup.

The Mr. Greek chain expanded from its first Toronto location in 1988 to 22 locations in southern Ontario. The Washington restaurant will be located at 4301 Meridian St. S. in Puyallup and is expected to open in December. Two others are planned for the area by franchisee Nadar Morcos, according to a statement.

"Greek cuisine is right behind Italian, Asian and Mexican food in popularity but unlike those saturated segments, the Greek segment is wide open with very little competition," said George Raios, president and CEO of Mr. Greek Restaurants Inc., in a statement.

Joe Fresh Style opens at the Big Gay Loblaws on Queens Quay tomorrow.

Oct. 10, 2006. 03:45 PM
LUANN LASALLE
CANADIAN PRESS

MONTREAL — Quebec-based drugstore chain Jean Coutu Group Inc. (TSX: PJC.A) is looking to Ontario for expansion after announcing Tuesday a quarterly loss of $108.8 million (U.S.) related to the pending $2.55-billion (U.S.) sale of its stores in the United States.
Francois Coutu, president of Canadian operations, said drugstores are changing and his organization has to keep an eye on trends and opportunities in Ontario.
"We're getting prepared," he told a conference call with analysts about expansion in Ontario. "There's no question about this.
He said the pharmacy chain has to "make the required analysis for our expansion into the very neighbouring markets for us, which would make sense."
Jean Coutu Group, which reports in U.S. dollars, said the net loss amounted to 42 cents per share in its first quarter ended Aug. 26. This contrasted with year-earlier net income of $11.1 million or four cents per share.
The major asset writedown and restructuring charge is related to the recent sale of 1,859 Eckerd and Brooks stores to Rite Aid Corp. (NYSE: RAD) in the United States.
Earnings per share before one-time items were reported at seven cents, up from five cents a year ago. The analyst consensus expectation was 11 cents, according to Thomson Financial.
The sale of the group's Eckerd and Brooks stores to Rite Aid Corp. resulted in an asset impairment of $120 million after taxes, or 46 cents per share, plus restructuring charges of $10.6 million.
Under the deal — announced in August and still under review by U.S. competition regulators, with a shareholder vote expected in December — Jean Coutu gets $1.45 billion in cash and a 32 per cent equity stake in the expanded 5,000-store Rite Aid operation, and Rite Aid assumes $850 million of Jean Coutu debt.
Analyst Cynthia Rose-Martel said that once the Rite Aid deal is closed, the issue will be whether Rite Aid can generate a profit.
"We all know that these U.S. assets are out the door, it's old news," said Rose-Martel, of Jennings Capital Inc. "We're waiting for the deal to close."
As for possible expansion into Ontario, Rose-Martel said there's not much choice for Jean Coutu Group because "they're kind of landlocked."
"If they're going to grow, they've got to go east and west," she said, adding that Ontario is the biggest market in Canada.
"You're not going to hopscotch over Ontario and go to Alberta. So by default, that's what they're going to have to do."
She noted that Jean Coutu has a distribution centre in Hawkesbury in eastern Ontario and that could facilitate expansion, but she said ``Ontario is a well-developed, highly competitive market."
It could be challenging to differentiate its stores from Shoppers Drug Mart (TSX: SC) pharmacies, she said, adding, "To me, one pretty much looks like the other."
Francois Coutu also told analysts the quarter showed "improved trends in pharmacy." However, sales of higher-margin front-of-store items lagged — largely because of the continued rapid fading in the photographic film category.
"Other than that, all categories are up, and that's a very good sign," he said.
The Canadian store network recorded a 9.1 per cent year-over-year increase in pharmacy sales and a 3.5 per cent rise in front-of-store sales, focusing on health and beauty products.
The front-of-store segment is "truly a women's world, I would say," Coutu said, and the cosmetic department "needs to improve even more."
Jean Coutu Group shares were off 20 cents to $11.90 in afternoon trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange, with a 52-week high and low of $18.60 and $9.91.

Oct. 23, 2006. 10:10 AM
CANADIAN PRESS

GLENDALE, Calif.—IHOP Corp. (NYSE: IHP), the operator of the International House of Pancakes restaurant chain, is spreading into Eastern Canada with the announcement of an Ontario franchisee.
IHOP said Monday that Pancakes Canada Ltd., controlled by the Alfieri Group, a longtime operator of Italian-themed family restaurants in Niagara Falls, Ont., will develop three IHOP locations over five years in the Niagara region and Barrie, Ont.
IHOP said it signed agreements covering a total of 20 new franchise locations during the third quarter, adding to its roster of 1,278 restaurants in the United States and British Columbia.

WEST COAST BUREAU
Sunday, October 22, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO — The Westfield San Francisco Centre has everything you might expect at the biggest shopping mall west of the Mississippi: an enormous Bloomingdale's, a nine-screen movie theater and 170 specialty shops on nine levels.

When developers completed a $460 million renovation last month that tripled the mall's size to 1.5 million square feet, though, there was something they did not add: parking.

Building a mega-mall without new parking might seem unfathomable just about anyplace else in America. But here, developers and city officials cordially agreed on that point to encourage public transportation and reduce downtown traffic.

Not allowing any new parking was just the latest result of a downtown growth management policy developed in 1985, said Joshua Switzky of the San Francisco Planning Department.

City leaders "came to the realization that we can't grow and have economic vitality downtown (by) accommodating additional automobiles," Switzky said.

In addition to the mall, about 16 million square feet of office space has been built in downtown San Francisco since 1985.

The number of new parking spots added since then? Almost none, according to Switzky.

Other big cities, most notably New York, Boston and Chicago, also limit downtown parking. But San Francisco's policy of refusing to allow almost any new parking flies in the face of city planning elsewhere, where new construction almost always comes with a mandate to build new parking too.

It might be something other cities should consider — especially in places such as Austin that are in the midst of major downtown redevelopments, said Donald Shoup, a professor of urban planning at the University of California in Los Angeles.

Most cities don't even consider limiting parking, said Shoup, author of "The High Cost of Free Parking." Typically, city leaders say "shopping has to come with parking or you can't have (new) shopping at all," he said. "And you wonder why places like Atlanta are at the top of the heap of cities with (traffic) problems."

Though few U.S. cities have gone as far as San Francisco, what's happening here is indicative of a trend nationally, said William Millar, president of the American Public Transportation Association, a trade group.

In Dallas, Washington and elsewhere, developers have built or are planning housing and retail shopping centers that rely on public transit as much as public parking.

In Atlanta, parking lots at several public-rail stations are set to be replaced by stores and high-rise homes as urban living takes off again.

Car-clogged Austin is counting on public transport to reduce downtown traffic congestion and the need for more parking lots. Rail service is scheduled to begin in Austin in 2008 and is tied closely to the revitalization of the downtown core.

San Francisco's Westfield mall doesn't even have a parking lot. The nearest parking is across the street at a city-owned lot that also serves the Moscone convention center and other attractions. It can hold about 2,600 cars.

Officials expect about 68,500 people a day on average, or about 25 million a year, will visit the mall. That works out to one parking spot for every 26 mall shoppers.

Even so, officials say the parking garage will be full only on big shopping days during the holiday season.

To be sure, San Francisco and the location of its newly expanded mall are unique. The 49-square-mile city is one of the most densely populated in the country and one of the best for pedestrians. Its narrow streets and steep hills were built for cable cars, trains and horses, not SUVs and sedans, and many have never been updated.

The mall also is in the middle of one of the biggest hubs for public transportation outside New York City.

More than 30 different public transit sources are within a few blocks of the mall, including the Powell Street terminus of the city's famed cable car line, several stops for the Bay Area Rapid Transit subway system, and stops for municipal trains and buses.

"People here are used to using transit, and the system is pretty good," said Jim Chappell, president of the San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association, a nonprofit group that advocates mass transit and less public parking. Even with relatively few parking lots in the city, most go unfilled on typical days, he said.

In a statement, mall co-developer Westfield America said that at least a few weeks after opening, the reliance on public transportation seems to be working.

Of course, not everybody is happy taking the bus or train to go shopping. Just ask anyone who lives outside central San Francisco who isn't served by BART or some other public transit and has no choice except to drive to the mall.

"The parking is daunting," said Daniel Smith, manager of the Brookstone store in the mall. "I don't think there's any question we'd see some (business) increase if there were a better parking situation."

"Still, I will seek vengance on Color Your World, Color Carpet and the Pearson Convention Center in Brampton."

God bless bands like Foo Fighters (The Colour and the Shape), etc.

"will develop three IHOP locations over five years in the Niagara region and Barrie, Ont."

Several years ago I'd be happy that IHOP was coming north, but now I don't care - I've been boycotting Golden Griddle for about a decade so my pancake and fried breakfast consumption has declined sharply. Cora's is much better...they're expanding around the GTA but I wish they'd open up another location in the actual city. The base of ROCP3 at Yonge & Gerrard would be a perfect location, I think.

I've been boycotting Golden Griddle for about a decade so my pancake and fried breakfast consumption has declined sharply.

Out of curiosity, why? I personally was turned off of Golden Griddle because you go through their menu and you see all the name-brand logos of household grocery items. Makes you wonder why bother go there when you can make the same thing at home. And because it is a seniors' hangout.

Back