Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

color of the glass (not the podium)

I love how Murano's glass (not the podium glass) changes colour with the sky. It seems to reflect better than most glass. Look at that top picture by dt_toronto_geek. I love how it matches the colour of the sky exactly!

So excited to see this finish!

I think I've found my new favourite view of these towers. Walking west along Carlton, approaching Yonge, all of a sudden their twin peaks poke into view above the everything else in front of them. They rise so elegantly and commandingly, I'm definitely taking my camera next time to shoot the view.

West side of north tower

North and west side of north tower

North side of north tower (great looking balconies)

nice design and details like the alternating window styles so there's some variation and doesn't turn out to look like every other building. :)

This is another example of excellent work of modernism from aA just like Radio City. Even though it's steel, glass and concrete - we know that not all end up looking as well in the final results.

Taken by me, January 7...

jan720095ee5.jpg

Last edited:
Now that the podium is taking shape I noticed that there's no doorways onto Bay anywhere along that lowrise stretch between the two towers. That disappointed me a little bit; such a long stretch with no doors seems like a sterile, deadened gesture. I was hoping to see some restaurants or retail or something that might have animated the street a little bit.

Are you certain of that? The Murano website says that there will be retail on the first floor of the complex underneath the second floor's "Club Murano".

Now that the podium is taking shape I noticed that there's no doorways onto Bay anywhere along that lowrise stretch between the two towers. That disappointed me a little bit; such a long stretch with no doors seems like a sterile, deadened gesture. I was hoping to see some restaurants or retail or something that might have animated the street a little bit.

Thats not good news.

Initial plans included 5 units of retail on Bay. Although if there are in fact no doors onto Bay Street then perhaps those plans have changed.

Every single plan I saw called for stores on bay!

I really doubt they'd be aloud to remove them!

Can you take a pic that reveals the "no doors" how did you even see it, it's behind the hoarding?

Did you mean no doors on the East/west Street it's on (whatever it's called).

Based on the original development proposal as approved in 2004, on the ground floor there's the 2 lobbies, lockers, loading areas, parking garage ramp, and retail space fronting onto Bay Street ... logically I can't see what other uses the Bay Street frontage could be used for? It doesn't make sense for that to become more lockers ~

my guess its the doors have not been installed yet along Bay Street ? construction seems to be heavily underway still ... give it some time before we all start worrying ... I'm sure it'll be fine once its done and the hoarding is removed from the site ~ :)

City Planning Final Report:
www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2004/agendas/committees/ts/ts040217/it004.pdf

Here's the 2004 ground floor plan / site plan ~

Murano_sp.jpg

Thanks as always Solaris!

your welcome :D

one thing comes to mind now, if there are in fact no doors in the 'retail' section facing Bay Street, there is a possibility that all 5 retail units got bought by one store (ie: Rabba Foods) whom wishes to operate with entrances facing Grosvenor or Grenville

... just a thought

I wouldn't mind that at all if that were the case!

It's a lot better then having a bank branch / pizza pizza / and or laundry mat ... take your pick :)

Usually they would keep all entrances but just have some of the doors covered in a decal or a note saying to use the main entrance. I don't think they'd remove doors because there is one large anchor tenant but that is one possibility I guess.

The only information I remember from the proposal was that the residential units would open up on Grosvenor and Grenville.

I assumed there would be retail on the ground level with doorways, it seems silly not to. That rent $$$ would go directly to the condo funds. I'm sure we'll see an entrance to retail somehow on the ground floor.

Back