Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

22 Wellesley from Bay St.

IMG_2171.JPG

From MaRS

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

Given the raised parapet and all, I'd be interested in seeing what lies under the plastic signage at the entrance corner of Addison...

Met 1 & 2
RoCP 1, 2 & 3
Murano 1, 2 & 3
Lumiere

That is a huge influx of new units and people to a very small area of the city! It should bode well for nearby amenities and retail. The sidewalks will be very crowded!

While it is nice to see the office market revived downtown, I would much rather see a future mid/large sized office tower proposed in the Yonge/Bay/College or Yonge/Bay/Bloor area to ensure long term mix of land uses vs another office proposal in the CBD.

There comes a point where the sidewalks become too crowded; I wonder if the area will get near that.

You really think those extra wide Bay sidewalks will ever become too crowded?

Bay's wide sidewalks, or widewalks, will make for a great pedestrian highway. Yonge is tight, but could be improved with some attention to the street furniture. I guess I'm just considering our too-narrow sidewalks in general.

I don't think we are anywhere near the point where Toronto sidewalks are too crowded. Go to Japan if you want to see just how much crowded sidewalks can get. We aren't even close.

^ YOu can thank the PATH system for that. Sometimes when people are catching the 5pm GO train, I find that the PATH area from TD Centre to RB Plaza is more crowded then the streets leading to Union.

I don't think we are anywhere near the point where Toronto sidewalks are too crowded. Go to Japan if you want to see just how much crowded sidewalks can get. We aren't even close.

There needs to be planning now to avoid that kind of congestion. I haven't been to Japan, but my impression of HK and Kowloon (and NY, and Chicago) was that the sidewalks have been designed well to carry the hordes of people that travel them every day. We're nowhere near that of course, but our sidewalks are a lot narrower.

I think we do have a problem in some areas. The south sidewalk on Queen between Univ and Spadina is often (lunchtime, weekend afternoons) difficult to navigate, as there is barely enough room to go around people who walk slower. That sidewalk needs to be much wider considering its along one of the busiest pedestrian stretches in the city. The same goes for most of Yonge St, IMHO.

Hordes of people walking in Chicago? lol Obviously you haven't been to Chicago. The sidewalks of that city are empty but Hong Kong was CRAZY!!!

In Hong Kong, the sidewalks are not necessarily wide. Especially around the times sq. area, it becomes a hastle walking around trying to avoid mysterious puddles and other people. In some spots, I am shocked at how narrow the sidewalk was.

Granted, in the Central area, amost others, they have pedestrian skyways, or whatever you call it. And in Kowloon, when I was last there last year, they were experimenting with road closures for pedestrians at night.

"The south sidewalk on Queen between Univ and Spadina is often (lunchtime, weekend afternoons) difficult to navigate, as there is barely enough room to go around people who walk slower."

Banning those goddamn A-frame placards from Queen would help.

Then ban them everywhere else. Ugly and obstructive.

Back