Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

Hey all. I just found this forum and it's great to see all the posts here. i just received a letter saying my occupancy date has shifted to October 2009. Anyone thinking it might be delayed beyond that?

Thanks DT for the link but unfortunately it doesn't show up for me. Know of any other way I can get a hold of that article?? :D

I am assuming that you all bought a condo in the south tower. When are your new scheduled occupancy dates? If you don't mind me asking.:)

Thanks DT for the link but unfortunately it doesn't show up for me. Know of any other way I can get a hold of that article?? :D

Hmmm, dunno what happened there. Below is the article & a link to a related story, hope it works this time -

http://www.thestar.com/article/239499

Tentative date doesn't mean much

So you like that tentative possession date on the purchase agreement you just signed?

Well, read on, the experts say.

Scan the fine print, and find the "outside" date, lawyer Harry Herskowitz says. Farther down in the document there is often a formula stating how long – for example, 12, 15 or 18 months – from the tentative date that a builder is allowed to unilaterally delay possession, says Herskowitz, who served on the Tarion Warranty Corp.'s special committee on closing delays.

The tentative possession date is set out when marketing of the project begins and there are a lot of unknowns.

Under Tarion regulations, which don't cover conversion projects, you must be given notice in writing of a confirmed occupancy date no later than 90 days before the tentative date or no later than 30 days after the roof assembly is completed. If you don't receive notice 90 days before the tentative date, it automatically becomes the confirmed date.

Do not make arrangements such as giving notice to your landlord and booking movers until you have a confirmed date, Herskowitz says.

Once the confirmed date is given, the builder is still allowed to extend occupancy by 120 days – if he gives you at least 65 days written notice. He can also extend by another 15 days if you have at least 35 days written notice.

The builder, under Tarion rules, is not responsible for delays caused by things beyond his control, such as strikes, fires, insurrections, floods, acts of God or delays caused by the purchaser.

If you do not receive proper notice of a delay or if it exceeds the maximum permitted, Tarion advises you to contact the builder and try to resolve the claim directly. If you can't resolve it, request a delayed occupancy form package from Tarion. If you submit the form with all your receipts, you may be able to claim up to $100 a day for temporary living costs as well as costs such as extra moving and storage fees, up to $5,000.

Increased compensation is among a Tarion committee's recommendations that are likely to come into effect next year.

July 31:

965960681_1fa7093ccd_b.jpg

965960797_933cd133dc_b.jpg

965960865_cc4a42b95a_b.jpg

This one is a really slow mover.

It was something like 50% or more sold be fore the sales centre opened. That's gonna be one long wait to take possession.

Back