Toronto MRKT | 53.03m | 15s | Tridel | CS&P

Great post.

Overall, I'm pleased.

My only real issue in the renders was 'the mews' where the adjacent building walls seemed terribly dull.

Presentation materials from the Toronto Community Housing DRP Meeting on May 25, 2020:

1590467459728-png.247709

1590467482132-png.247710

1590467505822-png.247711

1590467584466-png.247713

1590467604751-png.247714

1590467626938-png.247715

1590467648698-png.247716

1590467677433-png.247717
@AlbertC, sorry about the images disappearing, but it seems that they were saved with the other copy of this exact same post in the overall Alexandra Park thread. It's not a good idea to post the same thing twice as it ends up encouraging the discussion to become fragmented. As there is a dedicated thread for this project, it was the post in the overall Alexandra Park thread that was deleted, accidentally deleting the images.

Reactions to the post in the other thread have been moved here.

@AlbertC, sorry about the images disappearing, but it seems that they were saved with the other copy of this exact same post in the overall Alexandra Park thread. It's not a good idea to post the same thing twice as it ends up encouraging the discussion to become fragmented. As there is a dedicated thread for this project, it was the post in the overall Alexandra Park thread that was deleted, accidentally deleting the images.

Reactions to the post in the other thread have been moved here.

All good, I've revised the post with the broken images and have restored the renderings now.

This pedestrian mews reminds me of this one in Porto, Portugal I visited last year:

1590517724909.png

In fact the similarities are so striking, and given how many people were suddenly traveling to Portugal in recent years, I wonder if this may have been the direct inspiration! ?

The towers are are attractive but also fussy. Lots of details, lots of different materials, lots of things to be ruined through iffy workmanship and poor materials. This doesn't seem wise.

I've always wondered, in the fullness of time, would all the 1/2 story residential houses in this generic area i.e. north of queen / south of bloor / west of spadina slowly get redeveloped into higher density.

I don't think we've seen any of that yet, rather it's just along the major arteries, generally on sites that weren't residential before.

I've always wondered, in the fullness of time, would all the 1/2 story residential houses in this generic area i.e. north of queen / south of bloor / west of spadina slowly get redeveloped into higher density.

I don't think we've seen any of that yet, rather it's just along the major arteries, generally on sites that weren't residential before.
When or if that happens, Toronto will have finally grown up.

There's several intricacies involved regarding the area described above. At the northern section where it's a mixture of the Annex and Harbord Village, it remains a fairly affluent area of mostly well maintained Victorian housing stock. Not necessarily that much change is to be expected, although there are various lower rise apartment buildings and duplexes sprinkled within there. Right on Harbord, there's a few gentle intensifications at various stages in the works. If we go east of Spadina and look at side streets like Glen Morris and Huron, there's some good examples of mid-rise and laneway housing type additions.

College is due for a few more redevelopments closer to Spadina, but for the most part it demonstrates decent urban form. Kensington Market is primarily a low rise area but I see great value in what it provides as a vibrant urban area as it is. Although there are some neglected patches and parking lots where development would be welcome. There's a couple of midrise apartment proposals around the Spadina section in the works, and ideally a few more candidates where it'll be suitable especially a couple lots that sit barren after previous fire damage.

The stretch between Dundas and Queen is going to be the real game changer with the Alexandra Park redevelopments. The earlier phases closer to Queen are already complete, and have made a huge difference. With the next ones happening at Dundas and gradually completing the rest of the interior.

My overall view is that a mix of value based preservation and missing middle type housing needs to be encouraged for the residential side streets. Which also applies for the areas south of College, between Spadina and McCaul. There's still decent heritage within there, but also a fair amount of neglected properties which need to be focused upon on how it can be better utilized to provide more housing.

Um... why does the marketing video on Tridel's MRKT page showcase Area+001 and Milk (Sneaker Boutique)? Area 001 is at Queen/Ossington, and Milk is at Dupont/Dundas. Neither of which are anywhere this condo...

MRKT:

The courtyard, mews, and community garden -- so good! I hope it actualizes like the rendering or better. This is the kind of stuff that would be great if it could be incorporated into all buildings...

Tridel did a great job with the building execution and landscaped courtyard at SQ2, their previous Alexandra Park revitalization phase:

Marketing renderings now up. From the UT database and Tridel's IG:

36572-126738.jpg
20200904_161720.jpg
20200904_161817.jpg
36572-126739.jpg
20200904_161746.jpg
20200904_161845.jpg

Last edited:
Podium looks nice, though the ground floor looks a little squat. The towers... well, I can already hear Tridel's spandrel factory humming to life.

Back