Toronto Motion On Bay Street | ?m | 29s | Concert | IBI Group

Not Lever House, so much as stockier Toronto examples like 2 Carlton, or Peter Dickinson's Continental Can...almost to the point where one expects a parking garage in the podium...

^^ Yes.

2due7wj.jpg

http://www.dominionmodern.ca/dickinson/index.html

16lhg95.jpg

http://openofficespace.com/image.php?id=45693439

570BayRend-ConcertProp.jpg

At that intersection, I know this building will be a knock-out. Look at that amazing podium! It has this Hong Kong ca. 1961 look to it.

from today's Daily Commercial News, so posted with the usual warning, but it looks like this one will be getting started very soon.....

RENTAL APARTMENT BUILDING Proj: 9099276-6
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON NEGOTIATED/PLANS COMPLETE
570 Bay St, Dundas St W, M6P
$36,000,000 est

Start: December, 2010 Complete: August, 2012

Note: Sub trade tenders have been issued by the Gen Cont. Sub trade tenders will be awarded sequentially as needed. Site work and excavation will begin late August/early September, 2010. Gen Cont expects formwork and structural construction will proceed late 2010/early 2011. All Sub trades will be confirmed Winter 2010. Further update at that time.
All enquiries regarding this project should be directed to the Owner.

Project: concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, fuel fired heating system, proposed construction of a 30-storey apartment building, with 450 rental units. The project will include retail and ammenity space at grade level. This project will seek certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System.
Scope: 330,000 square feet; 30 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 450 units; 1 acres

Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services

Our city needs 1,000 more like this, please. Built to the street, great podium and overall massing, and clever details that separate it from the average building; without resorting to gaudy detailing or tacky historicism.

This is going to be a great intersection and if Two City Hall turns out close to as good as the rendering suggests it's going to look mighty handsome sitting next to the beautiful One City Hall to the west.

17 October 2010: The most exciting update EVER?
Bah, the shoddy invocation of modernist lines in that dumpster is typical of these kind of projects, and I really don't like the massing of those gravel piles. The only thing the least appealing about this project is the verticality of the light pole, but this is just a rehash of what was done in New York.

Really disappointing...

You both get a star!

I'm very curious to see what the lightwell/courtyard space facing the One City Hall courtyard will look like. I'm surprised there aren't more renderings than just that one... :(

Back