Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

that kinda capacity won't be needed anytime soon. but eventually it will be needed so i guess it's ok to consider lrt conversion now, for now I love the transitway and the flexibility it offers.

This isn't LRT conversion. It's a fancy electric automated bus that runs on a visual guide.

This way you could still have the flexibility of other buses using the transitway, and have these servicing the transitway as well like an express LRT system.

These guided buses have proven themselves to be unreliable in Europe which is why the few cities that have them are phasing them out. They do not work well in snow or ice and after a few years of use the electrical road work in the pavement has to be replaced. If MiWay wants to go guided bus than Adelaide's O-Bahn or Cambridge's new similar system is the way to go.

They allow faster speeds with greater safety, less sway on articulates, better to align at stations for level and accessible platforms to the same degree as subway/LRT stations, requires less land thru tighter corners, can act like a spine network, and offer a smoother ride.

Now that the Transitway is open, is there any sense on how it's helped any ridership numbers? Has there been any preliminary assessment?

The guided buses were to be used on Cleavland Health Line, but were scrape based on testing oversea and replace with standard NFI buses.

As long as this Transitway is a GO Thing, not going to see LRT. Unless GO converts their routes to LRT which is impossible at this time, it will remain an Light BRT corridor. If all the missing sections are built as well a new Sq One Connection, it will not be a true BRT.

The Transitway will not open until Nov 24 from another source, with Ribbon cutting on the 27th.

It's not going to help ridership that much since you are only saving a few minutes at best.

There is no preliminary assessment until full operation in 2018.

Nov 16
Still a lot of work to be done for the Renforth and Eglinton road and intersection.

Regardless if Nov 22 or 24 is the correct date for opening this station, it will not be finish until next year.

The shelters are still missing for the new street level bus bay, sidewalk and roadwork still to be finish, landscaping on Eglinton still missing, stonework still not done on Eglinton, lots of flashing still to be done, handrail along the full north side and the list goes on. Some of these will be done by opening date, but all of them.

Landscaping in front of the station is impressive. More up on site
37758463294_79afcf5055_b.jpg

37758461624_fa65b3bdf0_b.jpg

37758459264_297042587a_b.jpg

37758455164_3ffd321734_b.jpg

37586259585_b0828ab682_b.jpg

37586259125_e33f66e96c_b.jpg

38417434476_5eff4921a1_b.jpg

38441638022_86015c950a_b.jpg

38417430406_f417581931_b.jpg

37586256965_3e1506f57e_b.jpg

38473293921_699b25f94c_b.jpg

38441634542_e08bd9e078_b.jpg

38473293301_e8875a1596_b.jpg

These guided buses have proven themselves to be unreliable in Europe which is why the few cities that have them are phasing them out. They do not work well in snow or ice and after a few years of use the electrical road work in the pavement has to be replaced. If MiWay wants to go guided bus than Adelaide's O-Bahn or Cambridge's new similar system is the way to go.

They allow faster speeds with greater safety, less sway on articulates, better to align at stations for level and accessible platforms to the same degree as subway/LRT stations, requires less land thru tighter corners, can act like a spine network, and offer a smoother ride.

The system I posted doesn't use any electrical road work in the ground. It just follows painted lines.

It operates using guidance metrics on the bus like a driverless car would.

The system I posted doesn't use any electrical road work in the ground. It just follows painted lines.

It operates using guidance metrics on the bus like a driverless car would.

At that point it's essentially a bus with some lines painted on the road. Similar to the "railbus" that was shown in China a couple of months back.

I don't think the station platforms(bus bays) are big enough to fit an LRV length vehicle. Bi-articulated buses are probably the upper limit.

They are. The entire transitway has been designed with LRT upgrade in the future.

I haven't heard how inspection turn out today by Mississauga, but it did not meet their standards a week ago to open on Nov 22. Until everything meets Mississauga standards, buses will remain as is until all requirements are meet. Lack of shelters is one thing, missing concrete from the new street level to the stations are 2 things I know of, but no clue about inside or the new platforms problems.

As for LRT, you would be lucky to see it on the Transitway since ridership will not be there until at least 2060 for Mississauga, but the Transitway will have still have to be duel equipment since GO is not into LRT for themselves at this time. You can't force riders to change mode a number of time to please a few who want LRT, considering there a huge gap that still has to be built to have a light BRT running on an ROW 100%.

Last edited:
This will be a BRT for the foreseeable future. It would be good if they could connect it with the 407 transit way whenever that gets built.

This will be a BRT for the foreseeable future. It would be good if they could connect it with the 407 transit way whenever that gets built.
I agree with the Transitway being an light BRT for a long time.

The goal I know of, GO was to use the hydro corridor from Renforth to 407, but since Hydro has frozen anything new in their corridor by others, that route is dead now. Could use 427 to 407, but in mix traffic since MTO is not willing to have any ROW on their roads at this time.

Back