Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

Maybe since her car crash Hazel's feeling less invincible and needing to build up a legacy. Maybe she might feel like retiring and taking an easier job at Bay & Queen?

It would be funny if she actually needed to get a job at Bay and Queen. The woman in her 80's known for good fiscal management yet has no money saved up for retirement???

This is hugely different technology though Sean (- which you know!). The airport's APM's cables serve one fixed track each, and the cable speeds and slows with the train. In San Fran the cable never stops running at a constant speed, and the cable cars there can switch tracks.

Not to say that a modification to the technology couldn't happen for Pearson's APM; I'm just saying that it would be nowhere near easy or cheap to accomplish it.

Pearson has a hard to expand, very limited use train. I hope they realized some cost savings over conventional technology in this bargain.

I knew that! :)

Most other airports use more conventional technology that can be expanded. The cynic in me thinks that the technology was chosen to prevent expansion, as the GTAA has put in accommodation for a rail car station (ie Blue-22) at the Terminal 1, preventing a more conventional longer airport mover that could reach the rail line. You’d also think that it would be a good idea to consolidate the car rental agencies and have that at a station too, like is done elsewhere, and cut congestion at the terminals (either with cars or all the shuttle buses).

The cynic in me thinks that the technology was chosen to prevent expansion, as the GTAA has put in accommodation for a rail car station (ie Blue-22) at the Terminal 1, preventing a more conventional longer airport mover that could reach the rail line.

I don't see that as being all that cynical. From the point of view of the GTAA it makes a lot of sense. Why invest more money than necessary in a people mover than is necessary? A proper rail terminal at the airport is obviously the most desirable solution. If there where no plans whatsoever for this, maybe the GTAA would have planned differently. But as it stands the idea is still being discussed and the process on going. Why plan for an extension to a station that will no longer be necessary to serve airport needs when in probably 10 years or less they will have a rail terminal that is a far better solution than ad hoc extensions.

My take of Hurontario based on the presentation last month, A rapid transit will not work like a VIVA system. It is the intent of various staff folks that Hurontario be a BRT.

The only way a Rapid Transit Plan can work on Hurontario St, that it does not go into Sq One like the 19 does today.

The RTP calls for a new terminal at Rathburn and Hurontario St and this will add up to 10 minutes in riders time transferring from this terminal to the Sq One Terminal. There is to be another terminal at Burnhamthorpe as well another one at Burnhanthorpe and Confederation. Love these planers

The current 202 only see .65 to 1.1 turnover of seats now. The only way a 202 can work all day is to operate every 10 minutes and remove a few existing stops since they only see 3 or less riders now. One new stop needs to be added. Even this will be a challenge.

Hurontario see close to 30,000 riders and 60% of them travel south of Sq One now.

The current Mississauga Rapid Transit Plan is a joke as some of it does not justify an express service in the first place and will fail the ridership load factor of 50 riders per hour.

To deal with the issue at Sq One, A new terminal should be built to the east of the current one on 3 levels to handle 100,000 riders. The current one see 40,000 now. The lower level be for future subway expansion, level 2 for local service and level 3 for BRT/LRT service.

If you put an LRT on Hurontario now, you can maintain a 5 minute headway for the next 10 years before you have to adjust it for ridership load by adding either more cars or running in pairs.

Based on the ridership now at Dundas, you need a bus every 6 minute for off peak and 4 minutes at peak. You would need 18 LRT's from day one on the route.

Transit a priority for Mississauga
TheStar.com - Athome - Transit a priority for Mississauga

May 12, 2007
MIKE FUNSTON
STAFF REPORTER

Major public transit improvements are planned over the next five years to avert crushing traffic congestion as the boom in high-density development in downtown Mississauga continues.

To avoid big traffic jams in the city centre planning district, which will become home to about 50,000 residents over the next 25 years, an efficient transit system is a must to encourage people to leave their cars at home, city officials say.

As the city's last open lands in Churchill Meadows and Meadowvale Village fill up with houses, development in Mississauga has shifted from the sprawling subdivisions that have been going up over the past 25 years to high-density projects, especially condominium towers.

Mississauga's population now stands at about 700,000, making it Canada's sixth largest city and second only to Toronto in the GTA.

The proposed improvements include a $259-million bus rapid transit system (BRT) along the Highway 403-Eglinton Ave. corridor to TTC connections at Renforth Dr., scheduled to open in 2012.

The timing of some projects in the city centre could also help accelerate the redevelopment that's expected along the Hurontario and Dundas corridors, says John Calvert, the city's director of policy planning.

Mississauga is also studying the feasibility of using light rail transit on Hurontario St. between Brampton and Port Credit. If that becomes a reality, Calvert expects a tremendous spark for redevelopment.

In the five years leading up to the BRT opening, the city plans to increase service frequency on primary and secondary bus routes, so a passenger doesn't have to wait more than 15 minutes at any stop, according to a report by transportation commissioner Martin Powell.

The plan is to add 15 more buses and 70,000 to 80,000 service hours in each of the five years beginning immediately. This will increase annual transit use from 40 to 50 rides per capita, and the number of annual fares from 29.7 million to 37 million, Powell says.

The city's share of provincial and federal gas taxes will pay for improvements to the system up to 2010. After that, property tax hikes of up to 2 per cent will be needed, he says. "We are still a very car-oriented municipality, but it's changing," adds Calvert, noting that the average downtown condo household has only one car, compared with the housing subdivisions where families with one car are an exception.

Already 7,800 units have been built in the downtown, with 8,000 more in the application process and a potential 15,700 on the drawing boards, Calvert says.

Downtown consists of the area around Square One Shopping Centre and the Mississauga Civic Centre off Burnhamthorpe Rd., west of Hurontario. This area is experiencing the highest density development with dozens of condominium towers as high as 50-storeys either already built, under construction or proposed.

Amacon Development Inc. alone plans 30 condominium towers of almost 6,000 units on 13 hectares of land to be phased in over 10 to 20 years, which will add another 12,000 people.

Lilliana De Cotiis, Amacon's vice-president of marketing and sales, says that transit improvements, especially the BRT, could accelerate the timing of projects.

"Better transit will benefit us. It's not only market conditions (that drives sales). It provides another reason for people to consider living in Mississauga. It adds an overall improvement to the city," De Cotiis says.

"That lack of infrastructure (transit) has come up in public hearings and sales surveys but I would call it a small challenge, not a big hindrance in our marketing," she says.

"The fact Mississauga will have a (rapid transit) link to Toronto should definitely help bring our projects to market sooner."

The company is seeking final approval from Mississauga Council to start a project with three buildings (the total number of units hasn't been determined) with sales tentatively set to begin next fall. "Our presentation centre is under construction," De Cotiis says.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned (I don't think so) but it looks like the BRT route has been modified to serve Kipling now, which makes a lot more since than the random termination before. Also interesting to note that they'll keep servicing Islington.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mississauga backs Kipling subway makeover

By: Joe Chin

June 13, 2007 - The inter-regional transit terminal at Kipling subway station will soon be given the green light — and lots of green bucks — by the City of Mississauga.

City staff is recommending that $5.5 million be taken from federal gas tax reserve funds to pay for the City’s share of the project. Mississauga Transit is partnering with GO Transit and the TTC on the $30-million development, slated for completion by the second quarter of 2010. That’s when Mississauga buses must vacate the existing terminal at Islington subway station.

Each weekday, Mississauga Transit transports some 20,000 passengers to and from the facility, which is owned by the TTC.

However, the City of Toronto has a major interest in developing the lands and is in final discussions with a purchaser who wishes to develop offices on the site.

“To continue to maintain integration of services between Mississauga Transit and the TTC, it is proposed that a new inter-regional transit terminal be constructed at Kipling subway station, which will accommodate Mississauga Transit and GO Transit buses, which will interface with TTC bus and subway services,” said the City's commissioner of transportation and works, Martin Powell, in a report to councillors.

The new terminal, Powell noted, will also be used as the terminus point for Mississauga’s Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), which is planned to run along Hwy. 403/Eglinton Ave.

The preliminary design of the Kipling bus terminal shows 14 bus bays — 10 for Mississauga Transit and four for GO.

So that Mississauga buses can continue to provide service to the Bloor/Islington area, the City will use an on-street bay on Islington Ave.
“It would be appropriate that the City of Mississauga pay for the cost of this, if requested,” said Powell.

Since the bulk of the funds is coming from GO Transit, through the Ministry of Transportation, GO will own, operate and maintain the new terminal. Mississauga’s one-time $5.5-million contribution means it will not have to make lease or rental payments to anyone. This year, that amounts to $321,000.

The City, however, will share in the maintenance of the new terminal, based on the percentage of Mississauga Transit passengers and GO Transit passengers flowing through the facility.

“This will be substantially less than the current rental payments to the TTC at Islington,” said Powell.

I thought the TTC was participating in the construction of the new Kipling Terminal? But it seems to be just GO Transit and Mississauga?

I thought the TTC was participating in the construction of the new Kipling Terminal? But it seems to be just GO Transit and Mississauga?

TTC wants MT over at Kipling and was willing to spent over $40 million to do so. It is still willing to throw money into this terminal to get MT move, but would like to see some money from all levels to reduce their cost.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned (I don't think so) but it looks like the BRT route has been modified to serve Kipling now, which makes a lot more since than the random termination before.

MT has planned to use the transitway to serve Kipling for many years now. The Pre-Rapid Transit routes that MT will introduce along the Erin Mills and the 403/Eglinton this year and in 2008 are probably exactly the routes that will use the Transitway. I hope there will also be a route to the Airport.

I assume GO will also use the Transitway for new routes to serve Kipling, as well as the existing routes to York University and Yorkdale.

Star: Mayor slams federal cash `rigamarole'

Mississauga's mayor slammed the federal government yesterday for not making good on its commitment to fund a Bus Rapid Transit program in her city.

"I sit here frustrated that an announcement was made and we should be getting on our way, and yet there is nothing certain about it," Hazel McCallion said in the council meeting.

The so-called BRT project was one of several promised funding by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Premier Dalton McGuinty in a big March announcement.

Since then, she said, the province has come forward with its share, about $270 million, but "not a penny" has flown from federal coffers.

A tinge of sarcasm in her voice, McCallion invoked help from above.

"The only way I can think of how we can get this thing moving is, we're going to have to pray."

Back